BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2014 12:49 pm  #261

Re: Languages

I don't know if you had it here before but it makes me smile, our language experts Sherlock & John 

October 26, 2014 1:03 pm  #262

Those German words are great!   I wish we could adopt some of them.

October 26, 2014 1:16 pm  #263

I think you already did adopt the Weltschmerz word? 

October 26, 2014 1:41 pm  #264

Well, we do use "mittelschmerz"! 

October 26, 2014 1:47 pm  #265

That is really interesting. The french one.... ooh-lala!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 26, 2014 2:03 pm  #266

What is mittelschmerz?! I have heard English speaking people using the word Weltschmerz. I don't know what mittelschmerz is supposed to be though 

October 26, 2014 2:56 pm  #267

It's the pain some people get on ovulation (mid-cycle).  I think it has always struck me because so many medical terms tend to have Latin or Greek roots rather than German.  I haven't heard it for years, though. 

Yes, I kind of liked the French one, Phantom.  The Russian one was nice and deep too

October 26, 2014 4:28 pm  #268

How funny, you taught me a German word  I have really never heard it before. 

October 26, 2014 4:51 pm  #269

The russian one reminded me of my first and only Russian language class... that was a scary experience! I attended a class before starting college and the teacher thought I was one of his regular students and tried to force me to read out loud from the text book. 

I actually find that video so interesting, how different and yet so alike languages are 

I remember Mittelschmertz from advanced German classes... when we weren't reading about murderous women we were learning how to say we had pains in different places... 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 26, 2014 4:53 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 26, 2014 6:23 pm  #270

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I remember Mittelschmertz from advanced German classes... when we weren't reading about murderous women we were learning how to say we had pains in different places... 

Ah, see, that's it, i never took advanced German classes, i AM German (which makes it pretty funny i have never heard it before *smile*)

October 26, 2014 6:56 pm  #271

I actually regret most of my advanced language classes, they focused mostly on grammar that not even a native speaker would use or understand, or words like that that you would never use in a sentence.

I passed advanced Spanish and I can't even have a conversation in Spanish.

The only language I actually was happy I took the advanced class off was English, because I already spoke it quite well... 

with German I am not comfortable writing it, I'm happier to attempt to speak it though. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 31, 2014 1:19 pm  #272

היי מה נישמע?? זה כיף לדבר עברית

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 and i'm klainer too

October 31, 2014 1:31 pm  #273

I do evny all of you your language skills. 

I took Spanish in high school and French in Uni.  But I'm no good in either. 

I also wish that America would put more focus on producing multi-lingual students.  You go to other countries and so many people speak more than one language.  But come here to AMERICA and by golly you are expected to speak English.    *sigh*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 31, 2014 2:39 pm  #274

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I actually regret most of my advanced language classes, they focused mostly on grammar that not even a native speaker would use or understand, or words like that that you would never use in a sentence.

I passed advanced Spanish and I can't even have a conversation in Spanish.

The only language I actually was happy I took the advanced class off was English, because I already spoke it quite well... 

with German I am not comfortable writing it, I'm happier to attempt to speak it though. 

I have the same problem. In English classes in school they taught me a lot of grammar stuff ( and most of it is useless in face to face communication) but they have never paid attention to speaking skills. So now I know most of English tenses but I have problem to explain foreigner how to find a street in my city.

I've always envied people who know more than one lagnuage. I know English, some basics of Japanese and that's all. I've always had so many problems in learning new language that in my case knowing even one is a success. *sigh*

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

October 31, 2014 5:57 pm  #275

I think you're all brilliant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 1, 2014 2:11 pm  #276

Yesterday a lot of the people at the party were Swedish and despite our languages being a bit similar everyone decided on speaking English right away.

One of the girls was French and I was so surprised when she suddenly said a long sentence and I actually understood her. So was she! 

What she said (In french) fits the resent talk in here well... she said that there is a lot of 'correct' grammar when speaking French, you can say 'bla-blah-bla' but you have to remember that 'bla bla' is fine too because everyone understands you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 2, 2014 12:31 pm  #277

Language teaching here in the UK is pretty rubbish really. Like the US people just seem to expect everyone to speak English. Most think it is sufficient to speak more slowly and to shout.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 2, 2014 12:54 pm  #278

I have to say that my German teacher at school was great..
Languages just wasn't the route I chose.
Unlike my son: fluent in German, excellent in French and now learning Italian.

Last edited by besleybean (November 2, 2014 4:11 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2014 2:01 pm  #279

Yes, it's pretty dire here.   It doesn't help that languages aren't taught until secondary school, and you don't need to be fluent to pass the exams.  As an adult it's time-consuming, difficult and expensive to learn a new language (in my opinion), so I wish it could start earlier.  It's very embarrassing, especially when people from neighbouring countries often speak English amazingly well. 

November 2, 2014 2:24 pm  #280

It boggles my mind that my daughter took 4 years of German in high school and passed with good grades but barely speaks it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera