BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2017 8:15 am  #1

The evolvement of Martin's acting choices

Pre-Sherlock, Martin was known for playing cosy (but sometimes perhaps slightly grumpy) characters. Often the very typial English middle/working class guy. (The Office, Hitchiker's, Love Actually, The Robinsons, Hardware, The Hobbit). He was known for being the actor of "the everyday man" and some harsher tongues would claim that he played the same in every character (something I strongly disagree with, even though I can see where they are coming from).

Up until that point, when Sherlock started, I think John Watson was the most nuanced and layered character he had played. And I think that, even though Martin was already a big star when they first did Sherlock, his portrayal of John Watson opened more doors for him. Not only for bigger roles, but also for more nuanced and challenging characters.

Because I've noticed that during, and after, Sherlock, Martin has played a lot more darker and edgier characters - much darker and edgier than John Watson. (Fargo, WTF, Wild Target, Start Up, Marvel).

I think it's interesting to see his development as an actor, and that his roles keep getting edgier and more and more interesting -and that Martin nails every challenge that he gets. (Or so I think, at least). And I whole-heartedly concur and support with this trend - Martin is darn hot as a "baddie"! 

What do you guys think?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 3, 2017 8:35 am  #2

Re: The evolvement of Martin's acting choices

I thought that the first half of your post gave me flashback to Performance in a Leading Role!
And then I thought that "egdy" was a very apt way to describe the newer roles *nods*

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

July 3, 2017 3:27 pm  #3

I can see how you might perceive that evolution of his characters' increasing variety. I haven't seen many of those roles, only Sherlock, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and Love Actually (in that order), but I can see where you're coming from.

Clueing for looks.

July 3, 2017 10:24 pm  #4

Actually, Martin didn't start playing Bilbo Baggins until he had first started playing Dr. John Watson.  So "Sherlock" came first for him.  The first season of "Sherlock" aired on TV in the summer of 2010, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey came out in the theaters in December, 2012.

Last edited by kgreen20 (July 3, 2017 10:26 pm)

Board footera