BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2012 3:23 pm  #1

Why not James Moriarty?

Could be boring, I am just curious about it.
There is a Jim Moriarty in Sherlock, and as I know it is James Moriarty in the original.

Then why there is a difference? Is Jim just a nickname or they are completely different persons?

John: "Why does your phone make that noise?"
Sherlock: "It's a text alert, means I've got a text."

May 21, 2012 3:28 pm  #2

Re: Why not James Moriarty?

Jim is a shortened form of James.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2012 3:38 pm  #3

Davina wrote:

Jim is a shortened form of James.

Interesting. Got it, thanks.

May 21, 2012 3:42 pm  #4

I guess it's because it is a modernised version of Sherlock Holmes using the diminutive 'Jim' makes it more up-to-date. His name is James, I think that is used in the courtroom scene, but he uses Jim from IT as it is more informal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2012 3:50 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

I guess it's because it is a modernised version of Sherlock Holmes using the diminutive 'Jim' makes it more up-to-date. His name is James, I think that is used in the courtroom scene, but he uses Jim from IT as it is more informal.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't notice that and I rewatched the courtroom scene just now, his formal name is James Moriarty. Thanks. :-)

May 21, 2012 6:40 pm  #6

Ah yes, but let's not forget in the canon our villain was Professor James Moriarty.
After his death, Dr Watson was contacted by the Professor's brother "the recent letters in which Colonel James Moriarty defends the memory of his brother". (in The Final Problem)
Now this is explained by the curious habit of families at the time having a common Christian name, and this could very well be true. Or ACD again mixed things up !

But the modern day nickname for James is Jim, so let's not read too much into things huh?

;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 21, 2012 7:10 pm  #7

ACD did have his dippy moments. Didn't he Mrs. Turner! Lo

May 21, 2012 9:14 pm  #8

Not to mention Mary calling John "James" in one of the stories...DUH...someone's had too much 7% solution...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 22, 2012 12:45 pm  #9

interesting that Sherlock only gets the word Moriarty from his "informants" but by Reichenbach he has his full name etc..

Board footera