BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2017 4:40 pm  #1

The Holmes' Homes!

I know we have discussed the various Holmes' homes in other threads, but having scoured this section, I've decided to start my own thread- to put all of the homes discussions together.
Just when I couldn't sleep(again) last night, my mind began pondering:
Initially I had assumed that Mycroft's house was the original family home and it only got handed to him after the ageing Daddy and Mummy retired to the country.
But having learned of Musgrave hall, I have since reappraised the situation.
Possibly the whole family relocated to the parents' cottage, after the fire.
Mycroft's salary may have allowed him to buy his house himself...unless Uncle Rudi left it to him.
I was just wondering about all of the family treasures(at least the paintings) Mycroft seems to have.
I'm wondering if they were all rescued from burning Musgrave?

EDIT:  I've just remembered the other thought I had.
I am wondering if Mrs Hudson has a will and if she has: do you think she will leave 221B to Sherlock and John?

Last edited by besleybean (April 23, 2017 4:53 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 23, 2017 5:21 pm  #2

Re: The Holmes' Homes!

Interesting things that I have not thought about very much before.

But do we really know where Mycroft lives? We've only seen him places where he's working on visiting the family. I would have assumed that he lives somewhere on his own, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

Clueing for looks.

April 23, 2017 5:24 pm  #3

I've always assumed it's the same grand house we've seen each time: in ASIB, in TST  and in the opening horror scene of TFP.
Incidentally, did I get the name of the house right...the one that burned down?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 23, 2017 6:10 pm  #4

Interesting thread, bb. 

Yes, Musgrave Hall was the family home. I suppose they used the name from the Canon story because of the riddle but it is a bit strange to put the Holmeses in the house that appeared in such a well-known story.

I agree, Mycroft's house could be the one from all three episodes although I still wonder about the shabby kitchen. It is interesting that he seems to have kept the style from his childhood home whereas the Holmes cottage seems far more cosy and less grand or pretentious. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 23, 2017 6:14 pm  #5

I think your last comment tells us everything we need to know about the parents v Mycroft!
I think Daddy and Mummy are far less pretentious than Mycroft...I suppose they just inherited Musgrave, well I assume it came down through the paternal line.

Incidentally, I know what you mean about using the name Musgrave, but along with 'Rathbone Place' and 'Sherrinford', I think it was all part of the throwing the kitchen sink at S 4.

Last edited by besleybean (April 23, 2017 6:16 pm)

April 25, 2017 9:26 pm  #6

besleybean wrote:

I've always assumed it's the same grand house we've seen each time: in ASIB, in TST  and in the opening horror scene of TFP.
Incidentally, did I get the name of the house right...the one that burned down?

Oh, yes, of course! Funny, I never thought about whether the horror scene took place in Mycroft's home or not. I guess it's because we don't see him in that kind of space very much. But it must be his home.
That would go with the comment on pretension since it seems like a rather large place for just one person (though I suppose it could still be pleasant sometimes).

Clueing for looks.

April 26, 2017 7:17 am  #7

What do we make of the portraits? As for Canon, it has been assumed that the family were country squires but looking at the portraits going at least to the 17th century, they seem to be a bit more grand than that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 26, 2017 3:50 pm  #8

Country squires could be rather grand though, if you think of Brideshead Revisited!

April 26, 2017 3:50 pm  #9

Hard to say. They could be ancestors that were more noble than the family's current status, maybe. Or maybe it's art that Mycroft purchased. He seems like he would have the means.

Last edited by Yitzock (April 26, 2017 3:51 pm)

Clueing for looks.

April 26, 2017 3:56 pm  #10

Maybe Mycroft was buying old portraits of noble people who looked like him?

April 26, 2017 3:58 pm  #11

Ha.
Definitely the ancestors and very grand indeed.

May 1, 2017 5:44 am  #12

besleybean wrote:

Ha.
Definitely the ancestors and very grand indeed.

So how did he get them? They can't have been at Musgrave when it burnt down. Did he get them from Uncle Rudi?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 1, 2017 7:10 am  #13

They could possibly (unlikely) have been saved from Musgrave, even if the building was unsound.  Or also, they could have been kept in storage while the family were at Musgrave, but Mycroft chose to display them in his own house. 

Board footera