BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2017 10:59 am  #1

References to other films/shows/books in BBC Sherlock

After 13 episodes I thought such a thread might come in handy. Not just in TFP Moftiss clearly alluded and referred to other works of art. So I thought it could be interesting to collect such references in one thread instead of just discussing them in the episode sections. Of course this is for all kinds of references, not just for Johnlock, although I would like to open with a little post of mine about similarities between TSoT and "Love, Actually". 

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/159822333926/gosherlocked-love-actually-best-man-and-groom

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 21, 2017 11:36 am  #2

Re: References to other films/shows/books in BBC Sherlock

Oh I always think about V for Vendetta when Sherlock tells Dominic "You can't kill an idea"

(Repeated later in TAB; but it's a popular concept, so...)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 21, 2017 6:15 pm  #3

Absolutely. There are some interesting parallels between "V for Vendetta" and Sherlock - all the gunpowder plot references for example. Excellent film. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 21, 2017 6:55 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

Absolutely. There are some interesting parallels between "V for Vendetta" and Sherlock - all the gunpowder plot references for example. Excellent film. 

Yeah, totally! TEH is full of them just like that carriage was full of explosives

-----

April 21, 2017 7:05 pm  #5

Not to mention the use of video screens message broadcast all over the country - HLV, anyone?

April 21, 2017 8:01 pm  #6

I've rewatched V4V the other day and went "Miss me?" during that Piccadilly broadcast scene
I also have the full V costume sitting next to my Sherlock costume at home but I figure that hardly counts as a connection between the two

-----

April 22, 2017 7:21 am  #7

The TSOT scene with Sherlock leaving the wedding on his own reminded me that it's supposed to echo Jon Pertwee's Doctor sadly leaving at the end of The Green Death (Doctor Who).  If I could post gifs, I would, but I can't!   Oh, googling has discovered that some very helpful person has made a video of it!

April 22, 2017 8:07 am  #8

Some interesting stuff here already.

Well, I think TFP has been compared to James Bond, Saw and Shutter Island a few times (although I haven't seen any of those movies, so can't really comment).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 22, 2017 8:09 am  #9

There'll always be a bit of Bond...Mark is a huge fan!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2017 4:04 pm  #10

Interesting video, Liberty! That's cool. I never would have picked that up since I haven't seen any of the old Doctor Who episodes.

Speaking of Bond, I don't know if the video that I saw about it has been posted before (though I think I've seen images on this forum) or Skyfall and Sherlock similarities, down to the view from the roof of the building, which I thought was fun, too.

Clueing for looks.

April 22, 2017 6:13 pm  #11

I still have to see Andrew in Spectre!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera