BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2012 9:34 pm  #21

Re: SiB questions and answers thread

Yeah I did because of course he knows it isn't 'the truth' at all. It saves John from lying because , frankly John is rubbish at lying anyway isn't he.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 21, 2012 9:48 pm  #22

My first thought when I saw that scene before I knew Irene was still alive: This must go wrong. It must be almost impossible to lie to Sherlock. He would notice shivering lips, voice, wide (or narrow?) pupils and all that stuff at once.
But then I didn't knew that Sherlock already knew what John thought he knew (knows?), but Sherlock knew better; but I didn't knew yet... Well, you know. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 22, 2012 4:38 am  #23

I always thought this scene quite well-done.

Sherlock stepping close to read John's facial expression to analyse what John looks like when he is trying to lie convincingly.

Bet Series 3 will come back to this!

July 22, 2012 7:24 am  #24

That might be why he decided not to confide in John about his 'death' later. Why he knew that John HAD to be convinced that it was genuine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 23, 2012 3:18 am  #25

Bloody hell, that's a darn good point!

July 23, 2012 4:00 pm  #26

Also, why did Mycroft need to have the 'file' (stuff in plastic wallet) with him at all? Perhaps only as a plot device so that Sherlock would see and end up keeping the phone.

July 23, 2012 4:23 pm  #27

JaneCo wrote:

Also, why did Mycroft need to have the 'file' (stuff in plastic wallet) with him at all? Perhaps only as a plot device so that Sherlock would see and end up keeping the phone.

Basically. I think that's the case.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 6, 2012 11:50 pm  #28

I don't even know why Mycroft even bothered to let John have the file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 7, 2012 2:01 am  #29

It's another reference to canon, too--Sherlock keeping her photograph/phone.

August 7, 2012 2:05 am  #30

JaneCo wrote:

Remember at the start of that scene, the meeting in the cafe? They had to decide if they were telling Sherlock the truth. From Mycroft's point of view (ie not knowing what Sherlock knew) he must have decided that if they DID tell him Irene was dead, he would need to show some proof of this. Otherwise it would continue to play on Sherlock's mind; everything needs proof.
The files would have been the proof.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 6:24 pm  #31

Just watched ASiB again (think it could end up as my favourite episode) and I think the opposite: All these papers were the proof that Irene has found a way to vanish in this witness-thing (oh god, how exactly did they call it?) and that's why Mycroft brought it so it can be shown to Sherlock.
John explained (lied) to Sherlock and offered him to take a look at the papers the same time. Sherlock refused, but then decided to take the phone. John told him that everyting on it has been erased but SH wanted to have it anyway. This was the sign that he wanted to keep it.
Later, in the last scene at the window, he read all the texts again...... -> everything has been erased ???

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 5, 2012 6:25 pm)

September 5, 2012 6:35 pm  #32

I think, Sherlock read the texts from his own phone.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 5, 2012 6:40 pm  #33

It's called a witness protection programme.

September 5, 2012 6:49 pm  #34

I just re-watched the scene. Sherlock puts Irene's phone in his left pocket, takes his own, goes to the windows and reads the messages. Then he takes her phone out of the pocket and puts it into the drawer. But I'm still wondering why John took the papers and the phone up to the flat. Did he think Sherlock wouldn't believe him without proof?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2012 7:07 pm  #35

Thanks Susi, tricky one. (I was already sitting there, holding (->cuddling) my cushion, whining, because I was so.. thrilled again by this episode and this scene. Not possible to concentrate. ) 

September 8, 2012 8:39 am  #36

How did he know there was a gun in the safe? He spends most of the scene in Irene's house trying to get her to open it. Then when he succeeds with the pin code, he immediately ducks like he's known all along that it was booby trapped. So he's worked really hard to open something that will try to kill him?

September 8, 2012 8:42 am  #37

He was tipped off by the look Irene gives him.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 8, 2012 10:53 am  #38

Which, in itself, adds another dimension to their 'relationship'. She could have let it just blow his head off. Mind you that would have made for a very short episode...not to say series! Lol

September 11, 2012 3:55 am  #39

Davina wrote:

Which, in itself, adds another dimension to their 'relationship'. She could have let it just blow his head off. Mind you that would have made for a very short episode...not to say series! Lol

Hmm no.
She did it simply because without Sherlock alive, there was no way of stopping the CIA guys from taking the phone. She's good but on her own against them... no chance.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

September 11, 2012 7:03 am  #40

Ah! Of course! I didn't have my thinking cap on but my dunce's one instead.

Board footera