BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2017 6:33 pm  #161

Re: Still unexplained secrets?

I agree with besley here. I think this boils down to Victor's role in the story, and their limited time. Even when the main characters - Sherlock and John - have gone through horrific physical and/or mental ordeals, their recovery/dealing with it has always been a tad rushed. And I think that comes down to time limit. They don't have time to delve too much into anything, really, especially not a "plot device".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 30, 2017 10:12 pm  #162

So true.  If the episodes were 2 hours long, there would be more time to go into the emotional aspects of the problems the characters face, including the comfort part of H/C and the characters' recovery from ordeals.

Last edited by kgreen20 (June 30, 2017 10:13 pm)

July 1, 2017 7:43 am  #163

I can't see them changing the format, even if we do get a fifth series...after all, they don't set the format:  the BBC does.
Originally we were to get 6 half an hour episodes per series, but the BBC changed their minds.

Last edited by besleybean (July 1, 2017 7:43 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 1, 2017 2:03 pm  #164

Schmiezi wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I just realised that Sherlock and Eurus are the only ones who ever talk about Victor Trevor. Neither Mycroft, nor their parents or John or the police or anyone else. A little boy died and no one thinks it necessary to even mention this. Always provided, of course, that anything of all this is real. Which I do not think it is. I would really like to hear an explanation in case the whole Victor scenario was real. Why is the end so hurried? Why is a dead little boy never mentioned by anyone save Sherlock and Eurus? 

I never realised that. I thought Mycroft was talking about him too, but he only hinted at Redbeard being important.

A very good point. Considering the irreal atmosphere of "The Final Problem" and the emphasis on Redbeard being a dog in S3, I am not all that convinced that Victor ever was real, tbh.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 1, 2017 2:09 pm  #165

As I have said.
For me he has to be, else the whole emotional impact is lost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 1, 2017 2:25 pm  #166

The emotional impact would be completely different but surely not lost. It would depend upon when reality stopped. Sherlock could wake up after Mary shot him, or after his Jump off the roof went wrong, or after overdosing while the Watsons were on their honeymoon ...

So many possibilities that would all create a unique emotional impact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 1, 2017 2:28 pm  #167

Well that's possibly for those who want to rewrite the history of the show.
I remain perfectly happy with what we were shown, other than the obvious, that we weren't shown enough!
Oh and interesting that Mark has acknowledged in interview that they killed off Moriarty too soon.
I understand why they did.
But with hindsight, it would have been nice to keep him around.
Then again, would he lose his impact?

Last edited by besleybean (July 1, 2017 2:29 pm)

July 1, 2017 10:20 pm  #168

It wouldn't have fit into canon, though.  In the ACD story, Moriarty was killed when he fell to his death in the Reichenbach Falls.  To adhere to canon, he had to die in the episode of that name.

July 2, 2017 7:23 am  #169

Er yeah, I know...
That's kinda what I meant!

July 2, 2017 10:26 am  #170

kgreen20 wrote:

It wouldn't have fit into canon, though.  In the ACD story, Moriarty was killed when he fell to his death in the Reichenbach Falls.  To adhere to canon, he had to die in the episode of that name.

I think they have shown clearly that they do not really care if something is true to Canon. I cannot remember Watson marrying an assassin or a crazy sister locked up in a prison fortress either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2017 10:27 am  #171

They care about Canon, but they are allowed their own interpretation, too.

July 2, 2017 8:26 pm  #172

Interpretation means reading what you are given. Nothing of this was given. And the funny thing is that most of the negative reactions to S3 and especially S4 centred on their strongest deviations from Canon, i.e. the treatment of Mary and the creation of Eurus. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2017 8:31 pm  #173

I know and it is so difficult for me to relate to.
Further, I really don't know what to say to people who didn't like the last 2 series...
They are vital to the show.
At least one of my Sherlockian pals has moved on...
She has another show/actor she loves now.

July 3, 2017 3:07 am  #174

If you look around, you'll find that this happened to many forum members. I mean, it's not really crowded here at the moment. :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 3, 2017 7:23 am  #175

I know and I can only re direct you to my post!
I remain firmly within the Sherlock fandom.

July 3, 2017 8:07 am  #176

I'm also very much still in the fandom. However, with the season finale - which works as a series finale, at least for now - I don't find there is that much to discuss anymore. Before S4, there were tons of speculations about where they would take the show and the characters, and now we know.

We could speculate about what they would do if we have a S5, but for me, that is so far in the future (if it ever happens) that I don't want to invest too much time and energy on that now. 

For me, the series is over, and I greatly enjoy it for what it is. And I continue to discuss the characters and read (and hopefully write) fanfics. If this is what we get and the series is truly over, am I more than content with what we got. If we ever get anything more down the line, that would be awesome! I will be the first to pop the champagne. But I am not holding my breath nor am I waiting for it. 

Last edited by Vhanja (July 3, 2017 8:08 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 3, 2017 8:10 am  #177

I can but agree.
However, I hope to start my re-watching from S 1 onward today...and post in the appropriate threads.

July 3, 2017 8:20 am  #178

My problem is this. I think there is still a lot to discuss but whenever I give it a try, I mostly get answers like "I am satisfied", "The show is over", "Everything has been explained" or "This is just bad storytelling" (from the disappointed). This can be quite discouraging. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 3, 2017 8:22 am)

July 3, 2017 8:22 am  #179

Well I'm sorry, I can't help that. I am just being honest about how I feel.
Thing is we can't change what we've had.
Obviously you can have hopes for the future...
But that's all they would be, they wouldn't necessarily happen!

July 3, 2017 8:23 am  #180

Yeah, I can understand how that can be discouraging. However, if someone says "everything has been explained", I think that is a fair answer as long as they also detail what has been explained that is relevant for the discussion.

Also, when peple start writing how they are not happy with the ending or the season, I like to chime in to say that I AM happy with it - to balance out the negative views.

Last edited by Vhanja (July 3, 2017 8:24 am)

Team Hudders!

Board footera