BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2012 9:31 am  #1

I do worry about The Moff sometimes - Twitter

Now, first off, could someone please tell me without too much detail... is "River" a character in Dr Who?
I don't like the show so please spare me details, because you'd be wasting your time. I'd have no idea what you were talking bout, honest!

Ok, so it seems Moff has himself in a pickle.

You can check his tweets out on his page :

https://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat

Once again, he seems perplexed at something he has been accused of retweeting etc.
However on closer examination of the parties involved (one account of course is now deleted, lol @ trolls) but it all seemed to have grown from this question:

Steven Moffat †@steven_moffat
@hallor ?????

18 May Earl Foolish †@hallor
@steven_moffat + if people need to be told she's bisexual, she's clearly not contributing to bisexual visibility. how is this hard to grasp?

18 May Steven Moffat †@steven_moffat
@hallor When did I say I thought I was contributing to bisexual visibility?? Please stop being rude to me, you have no reason to be.

18 May Earl Foolish †@hallor
@steven_moffat I'm just questioning your portrayal of a character you claim to be bisexual. How is this rude? I thought it was a discussion.

18 May Steven Moffat †@steven_moffat
@hallor How is your rudeness "hard to grasp"?

19 May Earl Foolish †@hallor
@steven_moffat I've been nothing but polite. Disagreeing with your opinion on something does not automatically mean I'm being rude.

Really you have to read the pages for yourself as the discussions are many & varied.

It seems that this River has been described as bi-sexual by Moffat & this guy is bugging him on how people would know this, Moff says because of her clothing & the fact she was bonking everyone somehwre or other or some such, lol.

My point to all this is, as a writer, Moff sets the characters & implies things about them & sometimes the audience 'just doesn't get it'. I'm not sure who's side I am on here, at times Moff seems to do the " because I said so" thing.

hmm.
In the end, I'm sure it's no biggie to Moff... just a diversion really.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 9:55 am  #2

Re: I do worry about The Moff sometimes - Twitter

Yes, kazza, River Song is a character from Doctor Who.

And yes, I think sometimes (a lot of times) his characters are quite open to a lot of different interpretations, what leads to people asking things like this.
And of course, I'm sure he's getting a lot of fun 

Last edited by Irene_Adler (May 20, 2012 10:33 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 20, 2012 10:29 am  #3

Aww poor Moff...people do love to have a go at him on Twitter, but he seems to handle it fairly well. I love reading his tweets...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 20, 2012 10:56 am  #4

You're right Irene. I suspect that the only thing that would concern him is if he didn't get a reaction.

May 20, 2012 6:32 pm  #5

Hallor really has ballooned up from this throwaway comment.

I was following it on Friday and whilst I don't agree with, can certainly see their point of view regarding River.

Moff has always had an army of people criticising his female characters.

To paraquote Oscar Wilde; the only thing worse than being tweeted about...

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2012 10:18 pm  #6

I have just found this image explaining Moffat's writing method. Sadly, it's in Spanish and I know most of you won't understand a word. I'm trying to do a translation, if I'm able to finish it, I'll post it.
It really is hilarious...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 21, 2012 2:48 am  #7

Very funny indeed Irene!

Does't all translate properly though.

Cliffhangers the size of Asia though, that's about right!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 21, 2012 6:47 am  #8

Yes River is a character in Doctor Who. I've watched every episode of Doctor Who and there is absolutely nothing in her characterisation to indicate she is anything other than heterosexual. In fact, her sexuality is never really an issue because it's implied she's always been in love with the Doctor.

I dunno what the twitter discussion was about but I don't really see how River is bisexual. Or if it matters whether she is or not?

Now if we were talking about Jack Harkness....

Last edited by Wholocked (May 21, 2012 6:47 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 21, 2012 9:24 am  #9

m0r1arty wrote:

Very funny indeed Irene!

Does't all translate properly though.

Cliffhangers the size of Asia though, that's about right!

-m0r

Oh, yes, the cliffhanger thing is quite right... I don't know very well how to do the translation, I was trying to make it on the same image but my skills are a bit short in that matter. I think I'll write it apart...

Edit: this is the best I could do. Sorry for the possible grammar/ortography errors and the change of colours (I don't know why they happened)

Last edited by Irene_Adler (May 21, 2012 10:52 am)

May 21, 2012 10:58 am  #10

Throw script to the dustbin if the mysterious introduction can be understood. Like it! Troll people through Twitter and win BAFTA. So THAT'S how you do it. Easy!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2012 11:03 am  #11

He is such a troll... but I LOVE him, anyway 

By the way, where it reads "understandind" it should read "understanding"...

May 22, 2012 8:37 am  #12

Irene_Adler wrote:

By the way, where it reads "understandind" it should read "understanding"...

Ok that is OK. I read typo-ese very fluently !

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera