BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2017 12:52 am  #241

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

tonnaree wrote:

kgreen20 wrote:

But who would pay the nanny?  John can't afford to; he's not rich.

Uncle Mycroft.  

I think it's about friends- between Mrs.' I own an Aston-Martin' Hudson, and Sherlock's family, who own Musgrave Hall, $ shouldn't be a concern for John.

January 18, 2017 1:14 am  #242

Maybe Sherlock and Mycroft's parents will become honorary grandparents for Rosie!  It's not hard to guess that Mrs. Hudson already is. =)  That being the case (possibly), maybe they'll help provide for her financially.  What do you think?

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 18, 2017 1:14 am)

January 18, 2017 1:54 am  #243

kgreen20 wrote:

Maybe Sherlock and Mycroft's parents will become honorary grandparents for Rosie!  It's not hard to guess that Mrs. Hudson already is. =)  That being the case (possibly), maybe they'll help provide for her financially.  What do you think?

A lovely solution

January 18, 2017 2:24 am  #244

kgreen20 wrote:

But who would pay the nanny?  John can't afford to; he's not rich.

You know Mrs."I'm-Not-Your-Housekeeper" Hudson?  Well, she would be Mrs."Not-Your-Nanny" Hudson as well, I think. A widower with a small child, he'd have to find child care somewhere, for sure.  Maybe not a nanny, but 24 hour daycare or something.  Alas, I doubt we'll  ever see any of that on the show, even if there's another season. Motiss is too busy writing fantasy-horror to ever go there.

January 18, 2017 6:53 am  #245

Love her though we all do, Rosie is just not important to the story. Though she's obviously important to John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 8:00 am  #246

I think that after all they've been through together, Mycroft would help out if really needed. 

January 18, 2017 9:37 am  #247

Liberty wrote:

I think that after all they've been through together, Mycroft would help out if really needed. 

By buying John and Rosie the best child care available anywhere, lol.

January 18, 2017 1:00 pm  #248

Mrs. Hudson certain isn't a nanny, she's a Godmother!  And I believe she would take the job seriously.
Remember, no matter how many times she says "Not your housekeeper" she still finds the time to dote on "her boys."   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2017 6:11 pm  #249

LOL!  True.  And since she is one of Rosie's godparents, I'm sure that especially now that Mary's dead, she'll take that job seriously.  It's not hard to guess that she'll dote on Rosie! =)

January 18, 2017 6:12 pm  #250

ancientsgate wrote:

Liberty wrote:

By buying John and Rosie the best child care available anywhere, lol. 

In the form of a nanny, I suspect.

January 18, 2017 6:40 pm  #251

kgreen20 wrote:

LOL!  True.  And since she is one of Rosie's godparents, I'm sure that especially now that Mary's dead, she'll take that job seriously.  It's not hard to guess that she'll dote on Rosie! =)

That child is going to be spoiled solidly rotten!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2017 11:39 pm  #252

LOL!  =)

January 19, 2017 11:47 pm  #253

I watched for the second time last night, the 18th, in a theater with all of 8 other Sherlock fans, in the ENTIRE THEATER.  A bit disappointing, that.  But, I met up with a colleague of a friend, who's been a fan since the beginning.  Although we didn't know each other to begin with, love of the show was a great bond, and it was fun to see it again with another fan!

I'm here to say that The Final Problem is now probably my top favorite episode! 

Favorite three are The Sign of Three, TFP, and A Scandal in Belgravia.  Because TFP is the freshest, it's at the top of my re-watch list.  I loved Sherlock's growth through the 4th Series.  My feeling that he was the most normal of his siblings proved true.  I loved that Mycroft was taken down a notch, and is probably more normal now.  Sherlock became generous and compassionate. 

In so many ways TFP is a perfect bookend to SIP...  Lestrade hopes Sherlock will become a good man in the first, and then says that he is a good man, in the last.  Sherlock texting "You know where to find me. SH" in both episodes.  Those are the two that come to mind right now.  There are others, I know. 

I have to say that now I love this entire dark series 4!  Mostly the final episode!

January 20, 2017 6:42 am  #254

I completely agree with you and I do feel we have indeed come full circle, with all characters growing to what they should be and carrying on with that they should be doing.  John's come out the best of it, he's gained a daughter.  
Well I know the Holmes family have reclaimed a daughter/sister, but the situation is so complex...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2017 8:03 am  #255

Meggie K wrote:

kgreen20 wrote:

A lovely solution

Considering the three children they raised the first time.......

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 8:04 am  #256

To be fair, i don't think that was their bad parenting...I think it was three extraordinary children.

January 20, 2017 8:54 am  #257

I had mixed feelings.  I liked it for some of its emotional, human moments, but not for its logical flaws and plotholes.  It almost felt like Sherlock was a bit dumbed down this episode, which I suppose they had to do in order to make Eurus seem smarter.  I wasn't thrilled about the "secret sociopathic supervillain sister" arc (actually I roared "Noooooooooooooooo!!" into the air very dramatically upon her reveal).  I don't mind reimaginings as long as they don't stray too far, but I generally really dislike the addition of non-canonical characters, particularly when they are closely involved with a main character.

So, in short, I didn't hate it, but I was annoyed more often than I hoped to be.  If that was the last episode of the whole series, I'll be a little disappointed.  Although I did enjoy having a summation at the very end, in lieu of a cliffhanger.

January 20, 2017 9:37 am  #258

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 20, 2017 9:42 am  #259

Oh lol. 

Bring back Cabin Fever!

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 4:26 pm  #260

besleybean wrote:

To be fair, i don't think that was their bad parenting...I think it was three extraordinary children.

I agree.  It's clear that the elder Holmeses love their children, but three children with genius-level I.Q.s are hard to raise.  It's even harder to raise a genius child with a psychopatic personality.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 20, 2017 4:26 pm)

Board footera