BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2012 6:04 am  #21

Re: As it began...

Happy Anniversary! Wow! You were up early. Baking a celebratory cake?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 27, 2012 6:31 am  #22

Congrats, Tobe. 
I just realised that I didn't know this thread. Well, once upon a time … I watched the German version of the first series and thought it was quite nice but not more (August 2011). When I heard that the next series would be on German TV in May I bought the DVDs, put them into the player, heard Benedict's voice for the first time and BOOOOM - off I went. Must have been at the beginning of May 2012. And since then I've been a hopeless case. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 27, 2012 10:32 am  #23

A couple of months ago my neice (who is a theatre snob and does not watch telly much  ) banged on and on about how much I'd like it; she told me she cried at the end of series two, and I'm afraid I laughed. I promised I'd give it a go, and ended up staying up all night watching the entire first series on Netflix, and downloaded the second next day from iTunes. Then I watched them over and over, found this forum, bought the DVD's, and have been hopelessly encumbered happily ever after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 27, 2012 11:40 am  #24

NW16XE wrote:

I promised I'd give it a go, and ended up staying up all night watching the entire first series on Netflix, and downloaded the second next day from iTunes. Then I watched them over and over, found this forum, bought the DVD's, and have been hopelessly encumbered happily ever after.

I love your story, which so many new fans share with you. It's like we are establishing our very own fan canon ;)

Anyway, may  I also nudge you towards the original canon, aka, the books? I bet you will be surprised by their stories, intrigues and wit!

September 27, 2012 11:50 am  #25

Yes, please, you may! Have always loved the books, Doctor, but often dissatisfied with 'new' Holmes material; it's why it took me so long to watch, I skipped the PBS broadcast because I was sure 'Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century!' would be crap. More fool me. 

Last edited by NW16XE (September 27, 2012 11:51 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 27, 2012 9:01 pm  #26

NW16XE wrote:

Yes, please, you may! Have always loved the books, Doctor, but often dissatisfied with 'new' Holmes material; it's why it took me so long to watch, I skipped the PBS broadcast because I was sure 'Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century!' would be crap. More fool me. 

Same here. That's basically the reason why I missed the first series when it was on. My first thought was "modern Sherlock Holmes? NAHHH". Actually, I told Steven Moffat that story at Edinburgh, he found it mildly amusing. When the second series came on (New Year's Day 2012 here in England), my parents insisted I should watch it, saying I would definitely enjoy it. And obviously it starts off with the conclusion of the cliffhanger from Series 1, and I was all like:

ME: Is that Watson?
PARENTS: Yeah, except they call him John in this.
ME: Why has he got a bomb strapped to him?
PARENTS: ....
ME: Oh my God, is that Moriarty?
PARENTS: Yeah
ME: This is BRILLIANT!
(and that was all before the credits).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 27, 2012 9:02 pm  #27

I hadn't seen this thread before, I love reading everyone's

I've never been a big reader so the Sherlock books never got into my hands. I have seen a few Sherlock movie adaptions over the years, liking them but not loving them by any means. I know it's not a direct adaptation but I was obsessed with The Great Mouse Detective by Disney when I was a kid!

Back in summer 2010, I was at my grandparents and they have PBS and BBC America. I had heard of Sherlock from somewhere but I don't remember. I saw ASiP was on so I watched it. I only paid half attention and did stuff on my laptop while it was on. Liked it but didn't pursue it more.

2012, Sherlock blows up my tumblr dash (good ol tumblr). I thought, wow, people really LOVE this show, it must be really special and good. So I decided to give it a second chance in middle of this last summer. I was hooked, I watched all of the episodes pretty quickly. By the end I was amazed. I thought how could I be so blind to the genius the first time (probably because I wasn't paying attention of course)? After my first viewing of both series and Reichenbach - OBSESSED.

Gonna start reading the stories now while we wait

Last edited by Sam (September 27, 2012 10:25 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 4, 2012 9:56 pm  #28

tobeornot221b wrote:

This old thread.
Due to current reason I'm going to bring it up again.
I've always found it interesting to read when you guys had your moment of "being hooked".

Today I celebrate my first anniversary.
I can't believe that it's been a full year now. Frankly, I didn't expect my addiction to last THAT long.
I'm afraid you won't be able to get rid of me in the near future.

And:
May I introduce the BRAVEST DVDs I'VE EVER KNOWN:

I can say now that these two are indestructible - going by the strains they had to go through with me!
I just can't tell how often they have been playing in my DVD player – must have been more than a hundred times. Each. Almost cracked up the player…
But both are still alive! I take this as a good omen for the future of the series.

Congrats, Tobe!

We should have a contest to see who actually wears a DVD out first.

October 5, 2012 4:40 pm  #29

I'd been dying for the RDJ film to come out.
Then I saw a trailer for BBC Sherlock and thought it looked good.
Then I heard a radio interview with Benedict and I think Steven and thought it sounded great,
The 1st view of Sherlock was the clincher for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2012 8:11 pm  #30

Sammy wrote:

Btw. did anyone else got this weird sensation that... before Sherlock, you looked at Benedict and thought "What an odd-looking man". And then, little by little, he became the most gorgeous creature on this planet? Even though you're still aware of how weird his face looks?

I love this thread and all your great stories. And, I can totally relate to this Sammy! I saw him in Starter For 10 a few years ago and thought he did look rather odd and his character was less than appealing as well so that didn't help. Then came Atonement, which I've worked very hard to forget for many reasons, his disturbing performance not the least of them. That really didn't help either. So, the love came slowly for me. But, now I'm a full fledged Cumberbitch.

My Sherlock story could be called Saving The Best For Last. I had heard of Sherlock, but had already sort of had my fill with the Downey Jr. movies, which I found watchable only for his always charismatic performances, but didn't walk away with much love for the Sherlock world. And though I'm an avid reader Doyle somehow just never made it onto my bookshelf. Yet, I've always loved BBC shows and made my way down the police drama lineup list which included the likes of Zen and Wallender. Then I saw a preview for series 1 on the Downey Jr. Sherlock DVD and much to my surprise was totally taken by it. I got series 1 from the library and the rest is history. With each passing episode, I fell more and more in love with Benedict/Sherlock.

I've gone on to watch Benedict's other work and am floored by his immense talent, his beautiful voice, his sharp mind and his kind soul. My Sherlock blu-rays get a serious workout now as I try to patiently wait for series 3. None of my friends really understand my devotion, so it's great to have found a place where I can share it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 2, 2012 11:33 pm  #31

Wow! I agree with the sentiments expressed in your post utterly and entirely. Atonement is a disturbing book and an equally disturbing film but the mark of Benedict's talent is his ability to inhabit others' skins and make them his own.

Last edited by Davina (November 2, 2012 11:33 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 3, 2012 8:09 am  #32

I was nine when I began to collect mistery stories. I had already read the classics and I was looking for something different and also I wanted to know if I was as smart as I thought I was (for the record I wasn't ). I started with Simenon and then I went through Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Rex Stout, Ellery Queen, Hammet, Chandler, Dickinson Carr, Upfield, Poe, ACD.....well more or less all. My favourites since the beginning were ACD and Stout and for the last 15 years Tony Hillerman (I've been mourning him since 2008). I always watch any adaptation for the screen of the books I read even if they're often disappointing. So it's quite surprising that I kept missing Sherlock wherever and whenever was aired. I was probably everytime in the wrong Country. Then last March one of my friends, that has been trying for ages to convert me to Doctor Who cult, gave me the box set series 1 & 2 of Sherlock. She wanted to show me the genius of Gatiss and Moffat. I waited almost two weeks.....it was a Friday evening  March 23rd, I wasn't feeling well and above all I was bored so I gave it a try.
I was hooked by the time he winked (I should probably say that I was hooked from the riding crop scene but I was distracted by the urgent matter of recovering my jaw from the floor). I watched all the 6 episodes that night, I missed the pilot because I skipped the extras, as soon as I finished the Reichenbach I rewatched series 1 (I must admit that I fell asleep during the Blind Banker but I was very tired) and this time I discovered the pilot (I can't believe they cut "Everything else is transport").
And here I am.

Last edited by tiharoa (November 4, 2012 2:01 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

November 3, 2012 8:40 am  #33

I remember on my previous forums, people bemoaning the' everything else is transport ' line cut, which I confess was largely lost on me!  Tho on consideration, I agree it's  a fantastic line, a must for Sherlock and actually should probably be my signature...but anyway.   Do we think they will reintroduce that line somewhere?
Anyhow, I was firmly with Steven in that the Pilot rooftop scene was magical...largely from a purely visual point of view.
I always love when watching PINK, the bit when John(just having spoken to Sally) seems to look upwards, knowing that's a ref to the Pilot scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2012 6:53 pm  #34

besleybean wrote:

I remember on my previous forums, people bemoaning the' everything else is transport ' line cut, which I confess was largely lost on me!  Tho on consideration, I agree it's  a fantastic line, a must for Sherlock and actually should probably be my signature...but anyway.   Do we think they will reintroduce that line somewhere?
Anyhow, I was firmly with Steven in that the Pilot rooftop scene was magical...largely from a purely visual point of view.
I always love when watching PINK, the bit when John(just having spoken to Sally) seems to look upwards, knowing that's a ref to the Pilot scene.

There 're several things that I would have saved from the pilot and yes the rooftop it's one of them, everytime I watch ASiP I expect it to be there and I'm disappointed every single time. I don't know if they'll find a way to use them in the future. I would, I abide by the "waste not, want not" rule.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

Board footera