BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2017 10:01 am  #1

Culverton Smith

I thought our new villain deserved his own thread!

I had been really looking forward to Culverton so had high expectations, but he was even better than I'd hoped.   Although it's never said outright, he's clearly based on Jimmy Savile, and I imagine it was difficult to create a Jimmy Savile type character, without it being a Jimmy Savile impersonation.   I thought Toby Smith made him his own, and was chillingly believable. 

Serial killing is more acceptable TV than Jimmy Saville's crimes, and I wondered how on earth they would do that on a show which is not supposed to be extreme viewing.   I thought it was very cleverly done, with all the little hints - Culverton sitting in the middle of a group of children, the mortuary being his favourite room and his inappropriateness with the body, keys to the hospital, secret passages, the suggestion to the girl when they're filming, the almost kiss with Sherlock.  In the end, it wasn't actually the serial killing, per se, that made Culverton really, really creepy. 

I liked that he was part of the establishment, like Magnussen, untouchable.  And so chilling, because it's true. 

Unlike Magnussen, he didn't have any special memory powers or talents that made him successful (apart from being a "personality" and managing to manipulate people).  I thought it was an interesting contrast that Magnussen used his memory, whereas Culverton used a drug to erase memory in others. 

January 10, 2017 11:37 am  #2

Re: Culverton Smith

I think CS was a great villain and I'm really grateful for your heads-up re Jimmy Savile so i was able to look him up in advance - this part of British history didn't reach me back then, under my stone.

Every scene with him was telling, but the last one with Sherlock just blew my mind. Benedict and Toby played extremely well off each other. Superb writing, too.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2017 11:54 am  #3

Yes, it was fantastic!

I had more than suspicions about Jimmy Savile long before the truth came out.  I had a strong feeling that there was something off, but my thinking back then was that it if was something illegal, like paedophilia, then surely, as such a high profile celebrity, he would have been exposed by now?  And it turns it was the other way round.  As a rich, powerful, philanthropist, the establishment covered up for him, even when he was being quite blatant.  Police, legal, broadcasting, etc. (the people in the conference room!) covered up.   And he was given special access to hospitals.

Like Moftiss, I grew with him constantly on TV, surrounded by children and young people, and being expected to love him. 

I don't suppose we can ever know Savile's motivation, but perhaps Culverton's "It makes me happy" wasn't far off.  I agree about the writing too - some of his lines were brilliant. I love the bit where he's checking if John is a real doctor.  His constant jovial reminders that he can do anything he wants.  That laugh!  The final scene where he's quite happy and wants to carry on confessing.  Using Sherlock's accusation in advertising as a "Cereal Killer"!

January 10, 2017 11:55 am  #4

Loved what Toby has done there. He can really do creepy.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 10, 2017 11:57 am  #5

I think CS was incredibly creepy. How he behaved towards Sherlock towards the end (in the hospital room) was the most horrifying, perverted thing I've seen on this show. Very well done. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2017 12:10 pm  #6

Yes, I agree!  But it was subtle too, with the worst being hinted at.  And I think the character would have been so easy to go completely over the top with, but I felt it was reined in enough in that scene.   His voice was brilliant.  Chirpy, convivial, matter of fact. 

I wondered if there was a bit of Harold Shipman (our most prolific serial killer) in there as well, although he was quite a different character.  "Nobody is going to suspect murder, if it's easier to suspect something else.  I just have to ration myself.  Choose the right heart to stop". 

January 10, 2017 1:00 pm  #7

From Culverton's opening scene I was creeped out.  There was something so slimy about the way he touched his daughter. 

Also, his line to the morgue attendant "next time knock" really made me shudder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 10, 2017 1:19 pm  #8

Not quite so creepy, but I loved "How long have you worked here?"

January 10, 2017 2:59 pm  #9

That character was creepy as hell and gave me chills !! I think it's a proof of how excellent an actor Toby Jones is ! All along the episode, I only wanted to punch Smith ! He is the reptile in this episode, not Mycroft !

Board footera