BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 5:08 am  #1

The random red letters in the end credits

Red letters spell words and phrases. Apparently, they only showed up in the American end credits? I posted all this in the "first impressions" thing, but, I though it deserved it's own thread;

Last edited by i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE (January 9, 2017 5:09 am)

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 5:09 am  #2

Re: The random red letters in the end credits

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

Guys... I was right about the red letters spread through out the end credits being important! Yes! TST end credits spelled "THE SIX NAPOLEONS." 
The Lying Detective spelled this: "ONCE MORE UNTO THEBR (HEBR???) EACH"
The fourth word just didn't make any sense, but I'm looking into it. The other words defiantly are right, I double checked names. If anyone has a clearer image of the fourth word, that would be awesome. 
And oh, I love you guys! So many theories were actually correct! I got my guess on Sherrinford being a sister right, bus stop lady and Culverton's daughter same person right, the therapist lady being bad at end, and so many more! This episode was insane... AND THE WHOLE MISS ME TOO, AND CULVERTON QUOTING MORIARTY WHEN MORIARTY SAID HE WAS A BIG FAN OF SHERLOCK'S. AAAHHHH.

I RESEARCHED. NEVER MIND I GOT I GOT YES. IT'S "ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH"
MOFTISS SPLIT THE WORD UP, THAT'S WHY IT WAS SPELLED WEIRD. OH MY GOSH.

Okay! So, this line comes from Shakespeare's play "Henry V." As quoted by Wikipedia: "It tells the story of King Henry V of England, focusing on events immediately before and after the Battle of Agincourt during the Hundred Years' War." The full sentence is said by King Henry V: 
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead."

This speech is said when King Henry V is "rallying his troops to attack a breach, or gap, in the wall of an enemy city." 
But that's only part of a super long speech by King Henry V, where some of Henry's lines relate scarily, or could relate, to Sherlock series 4. GO READ IT NOW. That whole line really scares me though, it sounds so final... like Sherlock getting everyone to "go into battle," so to speak. Sounds very final to me.  

Sorry, last thing: for those of you who didn't watch it via American wise; I watched it on PBS Masterpiece on my laptop. You can access it until something like the 22nd of January, not sure if people outside of the US can watch it on PBS though? Just in case you want to look at the end credits.

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 5:10 am  #3

This was at the end of the speech: 

[b]"Straining upon the start. The game’s afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry ‘God for Harry, England, and Saint George!’"
[/b]

Last edited by i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE (January 9, 2017 5:11 am)

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 9:42 am  #4

I mentioned this in the other thread, but Sherlock quotes that Henry V speech extensively in one of the scenes!

And I also wondered if it was a nod to the rumours about Tom Hiddleston as a Holmes brother! 

January 9, 2017 12:30 pm  #5

I didn't see this. Wow that's cool!

"It is what it is."

January 9, 2017 12:37 pm  #6

Didn't know the "game is afoot" line comes from Shakespeare.

The final battle. Yes, that surely strikes a chord.

St George is the one fighting dragons, isn't he?

January 9, 2017 1:25 pm  #7

That he is...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 9, 2017 1:51 pm  #8

So many quotes tend to be Shakespeare or the Bible.  "By the pricking of my thumbs .. " last week was Shakespeare too.  I wonder if we're going to get a Shakespeare theme next episode too?   We had Macbeth for TST, Henry V for TLD.  It would be fun to have Hamlet for TFP (after Benedict acting against Sian Brooke's Ophelia!), especially with all the family business going on in that play.   I'm going to add that to my predictions!

January 9, 2017 1:57 pm  #9

Great scene with Sherlock off his nut quoting Henry V.  Benedict let it all hang out.  In a good way. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2017 1:59 pm  #10

Did it all hang out?  I must have missed that bit.  ;).

January 9, 2017 2:03 pm  #11

Liberty wrote:

So many quotes tend to be Shakespeare or the Bible.  "By the pricking of my thumbs .. " last week was Shakespeare too.  I wonder if we're going to get a Shakespeare theme next episode too?   We had Macbeth for TST, Henry V for TLD.  It would be fun to have Hamlet for TFP (after Benedict acting against Sian Brooke's Ophelia!), especially with all the family business going on in that play.   I'm going to add that to my predictions!

I thought that looked a lot like Hamlet, tbh!

And I must confess Henry V monologue totally threw me off! And I actually pride myself on knowing my Shakespeare in three different languages! But the whole thing was just totally incomprehensible for me *headdesk*

-----

January 9, 2017 4:41 pm  #12

I got the Henry V monologue!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2017 7:25 pm  #13

tonnaree wrote:

Great scene with Sherlock off his nut quoting Henry V.  Benedict let it all hang out.  In a good way. 

Agreed!  One of my all time favorite scenes of the whole series!

January 11, 2017 8:08 pm  #14

He is most impressive!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2017 8:49 pm  #15

I'm fretting about what the red letters in the last ep's credits will spell
Please share as soon as you can, dear US friends!

-----

January 11, 2017 8:51 pm  #16

Why them?
Aren't we getting them in the UK?

January 11, 2017 8:53 pm  #17

Nope, it's a PBS only thing.

-----

January 11, 2017 8:55 pm  #18

I could be insulted(by the TV execs, not you!)...but then I will be sobbing in the cinema, so at least I won't have to concentrate on letters!

January 11, 2017 9:02 pm  #19

let's hope it spells: "to be continued"

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 11, 2017 9:28 pm  #20

I think they'll put a funny twist on it, like with a question mark or, ' or will it?' etc.

Board footera