BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2017 11:20 pm  #1

TLD Headscratchers

Let's have a headscratcher thread for TLD too

Few things I've noticed on first watch...
1. Everyone claims the blog is Sherlock's and not John's (what is it with the blog this season???)
2. Lady Elizabeth Smallwood has suddenly become Lady Alicia Smallwood (!)
3. Sherlock spent a whole evening with his own sister and didn't even notice

January 8, 2017 11:22 pm  #2

Re: TLD Headscratchers

TheOtherOne wrote:

Yeah, that one was strange for me too!

What was the name the sister gave John, translating it as East Wind? Euros??? I never heard her calling herself Sherrinford.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 8, 2017 11:25 pm  #3

The blog - I think that's just because the famous one is Sherlock Holmes.  The blog is about him, and people think of it as his blog. 

I got the impression that he hadn't seen his sister since childhood (if at all - that's a big huge mystery to be revealed next week!). 

The name was Eurus.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi#Eurus

January 8, 2017 11:27 pm  #4

Liberty wrote:

THANK YOU, it's been driving me nuts!
Did she state it as her real name or Mycroft's nickname for her? I'm still not entirely sure she's Sherrinford.

-----

January 8, 2017 11:27 pm  #5

ewige wrote:

TheOtherOne wrote:

Yeah, that one was strange for me too!

What was the name the sister gave John, translating it as East Wind? Euros??? I never heard her calling herself Sherrinford.

Eurus is how it was spelt in the BBC subtitles. And yes you're right, she didn't call herself Sherrinford at all, and Mycroft claimed Sherrinford was secure.

Mycroft, Sherlock, Eurus and Sherrinford?

January 8, 2017 11:30 pm  #6

My headscratcher.  I'm a bit puzzled about Culverton's real daughter, who walked with a cane, but also wore high heels - very unusual.  Was that ever explained?

January 8, 2017 11:34 pm  #7

Liberty wrote:

My headscratcher.  I'm a bit puzzled about Culverton's real daughter, who walked with a cane, but also wore high heels - very unusual.  Was that ever explained?

It wouldn't surprise me if he had hurt her when they were kids somehow, which is why she walks with a cane, but probably we will never know for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 8, 2017 11:35 pm  #8

Who was in the boardroom that Culverton confessed to and took the note to Sherlock. 
Genuinely confused. Insane show tonight! Scooby doo ?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 8, 2017 11:38 pm  #9

TheOtherOne wrote:

1. Everyone claims the blog is Sherlock's and not John's (what is it with the blog this season???)

John has been absent from Sherlock's life for quite a while so people are starting to forget about him. And I'm thinking that maybe Sherlock has been updating the blog and that's why it's "gone downhill" because Sherlock obviously writes in this really boring, methodical, logical style, not the sensationalism provided by John that people enjoy.

TheOtherOne wrote:

I honestly didn't notice that. Bit of a continuity error? Or a nod to the canon and names getting mixed up/changed.

TheOtherOne wrote:

3. Sherlock spent a whole evening with his own sister and didn't even notice

IKR?? I started a thread for that because I was pretty confused, but I'm thinking it's because he was a) super high, and b) he hasn't seen her since he was a kid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 8, 2017 11:38 pm  #10

I thought the Euros girl was the one Mycroft talked about, too.
I didn't pay too much attention to the names...

Last edited by Whisky (January 8, 2017 11:38 pm)

"It is what it is."

January 8, 2017 11:39 pm  #11

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Did she state it as her real name or Mycroft's nickname for her? I'm still not entirely sure she's Sherrinford.

I'm irritated, too. She is Eurus. What has that to do with Sherrinford?

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 8, 2017 11:40 pm  #12

There was no note in the board room, Eurus has made it up, it was just her story for Sherlock (altho not entirely imagined). She also took a cane like the real daughter of CS.

My headscratcher:
I thought at first that the problems with CCTV (they couldn't tell whether there was somebody with Sherlock or not) were to keep us in suspense about the note, about CS being the killer in Sherlock's mind only.
But now, think of it. Mycroft was watching while his sister had a stroll with his brother. Did the sister manage to interfere with the CCTV feed? She must be good. Like, Moriarty level.

-----

January 8, 2017 11:43 pm  #13

Ivy wrote:

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

When they spoke about Sherrinford, are you sure they were speaking about a person? (not a place name or a dog´s name, for example?) Was it actually admitted that Sherrinford was their brother? I can´t quite remember...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2017 11:44 pm  #14

Ivy wrote:

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Remember, a person can have more than one name.  Did we not only recently learn that William is Sherlock's actual first name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 8, 2017 11:45 pm  #15

There have been no definite hints as far as I can tell. I bet translators had a field day with trying to avoid the spoilers by using specific grammar norms in their language in regard to Sherrinford (male/female, a person or a thing...)!

-----

January 8, 2017 11:46 pm  #16

We've all been using Sherrinford as the name for the third sibling, so I think it has stuck for the moment - but yes, could be a middle name, or a code word for something else, or who knows?

I wondered about the CCTV.  In the glimpse I saw, it looked like Sherlock was on his own.  But I suppose even if they saw her, she was in disguise. 

January 8, 2017 11:47 pm  #17

Liberty wrote:

I got the impression that he hadn't seen his sister since childhood (if at all - that's a big huge mystery to be revealed next week!). 

That flashback Sherlock had in TST already was probably about her - and it´s obvious from it Sherlock´s not sure what happened to her, because he forgot about her or deliberately "deleted" it.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2017 11:47 pm  #18

ewige wrote:

There was no note in the board room, Eurus has made it up, it was just her story for Sherlock (altho not entirely imagined). She also took a cane like the real daughter of CS.

My headscratcher:
I thought at first that the problems with CCTV (they couldn't tell whether there was somebody with Sherlock or not) were to keep us in suspense about the note, about CS being the killer in Sherlock's mind only.
But now, think of it. Mycroft was watching while his sister had a stroll with his brother. Did the sister manage to interfere with the CCTV feed? She must be good. Like, Moriarty level.

YES!

When Mycroft was trailing him on CCTV it looked like he was on his own. And I guessed/thought that he was inventing the whole thing because he was high, so it wasn't any kind of surprise to me when the real CS daughter turned up and didn't recognise him at all. I guessed that she was imaginary from the moment he turns round and she's not there when they're standing at the Southbank.

Except....she WAS there!

He DID spend the entire night with someone (his own sister!). So, how did she manage to make it seem like she wasn't there?

Did Mycroft know Sherlock was with her and then cover it up? And if he did that, then why?

Or did she manage to somehow delete her own involvement from the CCTV cameras?

January 8, 2017 11:48 pm  #19

Liberty wrote:

Well, Jurassic World taught me that you can outrun dinosaurs in high heels. So what? ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 8, 2017 11:49 pm  #20

A headscratcher for both episodes now - what on earth did John write in his note to Sherlock?!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera