BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2017 11:24 am  #101

Re: Why didn't Sherlock recognise his own sister? Discuss!

I think she does actually list Eurus as a name her parents chose.  "Eurus.  Mycroft. Sherlock."  IIRC - I'll watch again!

I think Sherlock would have been able to deduce that she was trans, if she was.   And no reason that siblings have to be exactly alike, but none of the family are short, yet Eurus would be quite short for somebody born biologically male. 

The Mycroft thing is confusing though - when Sherlock mentions it, he doesn't seem to be talking about a sibling.  And the way he tells it, the east wind weeding out the unworthy (Sherlock, back then), and also "there's an east wind coming" suggesting retribution for bad guys - it seems as if Eurus is on the side of good?  I am suspecting that, despite what she's done to the therapist.  Maybe it was Sherlock who was bad one, back in the day.  I wondered a while ago if he was going to be temporarily the villain of TFP.  I've kind of gone off that idea, but it might be that he has some making up to do. 

January 10, 2017 12:20 pm  #102

What she told about the terapist need not be necessarily true. She might just want to scary John. 

But there had to be reason to separate her from the rest of family and also reason why the government people know about her more then Sherlock. 

January 10, 2017 12:28 pm  #103

Yes, a lot of people seem to know (Mycroft et al).  Not very good detective work by Sherlock!  Even back in the 70s, if the sister was mentally ill, I doubt that she'd be locked up in some institution and never mentioned to the family.   If it was worse, and she'd murdered somebody, well, that would have been even harder to cover up for years! 

January 10, 2017 5:00 pm  #104

Though I am suspecting there has been some cover up and I am presuming from a time when Sherlock was too young to know...unless he does?  But if it was from her being very young, he wouldn't recognise her now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 5:09 pm  #105

I was wondering about that, too.  If she's older than him (it would seem that Mycroft might be the oldest and Sherlock is the youngest, though I could have that proved wrong), which she looks like she might be, than it's very possible that he was too young to remember.

Clueing for looks.

January 10, 2017 5:38 pm  #106

Altho it could still just be protective amnesia...I still think of Rain Man, all the time- love that film!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 5:39 pm  #107

If we take the ages of the actor's as an indication, than Eurus is the youngest of three.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 10, 2017 5:48 pm  #108

Well, maybe...but I still feel Sherlock may still have been too young- especially if he was a twin!

January 10, 2017 5:59 pm  #109

In his dream, he seems to be of an age when he would remember.   So if he doesn't remember - well, either as sort of protective amnesia, as suggested, or induced amnesia - something was done to make him forget. Or a brain injury causing amnesia.  But whatever it was, it has to involve the whole family in a cover-up, so it's not just a case of blocking out a traumatic event. 

January 10, 2017 6:01 pm  #110

Might of course explain his odd relationship with his family!

January 10, 2017 6:03 pm  #111

Liberty wrote:

In his dream, he seems to be of an age when he would remember.   So if he doesn't remember - well, either as sort of protective amnesia, as suggested, or induced amnesia - something was done to make him forget. Or a brain injury causing amnesia.  But whatever it was, it has to involve the whole family in a cover-up, so it's not just a case of blocking out a traumatic event. 

Uhm, are we sure the kid in the pirate hat is Sherlock? I mean, it's the logic conclusion based on the available information but how come we see the kid hopping around thru Sherlock's eyes? It's his flashback so it has to be his POV, right?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2017 6:06 pm  #112

Good point.  Although I think it's partly because of references to Sherlock wanting to be a pirate, and Redbeard and so on ... it seems to be him.  And dreams can be third person viewpoint (it could also just be because we, the viewers, need to see pirate Sherlock to make the connection).  But yes, could be a babe in arms or toddler, watching older siblings play.  Who is the pirate then?  Mycroft? 

January 10, 2017 6:20 pm  #113

Liberty wrote:

Good point.  Although I think it's partly because of references to Sherlock wanting to be a pirate, and Redbeard and so on ... it seems to be him.  And dreams can be third person viewpoint (it could also just be because we, the viewers, need to see pirate Sherlock to make the connection).  But yes, could be a babe in arms or toddler, watching older siblings play.  Who is the pirate then?  Mycroft? 

Eurus could be the pirate. Remember? "The man you are today is your memory of Eurus."
(I'm just flailing here every time I hear Mycroft saying the line! It's made of pure awesomeness!)

-----

January 10, 2017 6:21 pm  #114

Oh, does he say this?!
Wow.

January 10, 2017 6:32 pm  #115

Yes, he does, in the TFP trailer?  I thought people had spotted that there was a boy and girl in the dream and the boy was the pirate (although it's hard to tell with children!).   I have been convinced that the

pigtailed girl

from setlock is Eurus so would expect her to look girly ... and Sherlock was a pirate child ... but perhaps he was subconsciously inspired to be a pirate by watching big sister.  Hard to think of Eurus as being older than him, though. 

My money is on the pirate being Sherlock (five days to find out!).

Last edited by Liberty (January 10, 2017 6:33 pm)

January 10, 2017 6:34 pm  #116

besleybean wrote:

Oh, does he say this?!
Wow.

Every choice you've ever made, every path you've ever taken, the man you are today is your memory of Eurus.
It's right in the beginning of the new trailer.
I love this line. It's full of implications. Goes well with the image of destroyed Sherlock too... And Mark delivers it with the perfect intonation, that little lilt in the end... Be still, my heart!

-----

January 10, 2017 6:37 pm  #117

But that's just it - as far as we know he doesn't remember!

Although I wouldn't put it past Moftiss to have Sherlock holding out on us for years.   We know he doesn't recognise her, but he could still remember and never been able to admit it.

January 10, 2017 7:02 pm  #118

Sorry, I did remember the trailer after. 
Altho I've just missed it again, cos I was too busy concentrating on this flamin' forum!

January 10, 2017 7:07 pm  #119

You can watch in on BBC channel's youtube.

-----

January 10, 2017 7:08 pm  #120

Oh I know and I'm actually not that bothered.  It's just annoying when you're sitting in front of the TV, it comes on and you miss it because you are on this forum!

Board footera