BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2017 8:26 am  #1

What will happen to Rosie?

The whole episode, I was prepared for Rosie to die. After Mary's death and the "Go to hell" message it took me a while to realize that Rosie did survive.

So what do you think will happen to her now? Will John be a single parent from now on? Will she have to die too? Will she be send away for somebody else to take care?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2017 8:42 am  #2

Re: What will happen to Rosie?

I've been thinking about this too. She doesn't feature at all in any of the trailers. If she is just going to be put away to Molly or Mrs Hudson while John runs around with Sherlock like before, then there was never really any point of the baby to begin with. 

On the other side, I am not sure if John can take any more grief at this point.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 5, 2017 8:58 am  #3

Schmiezi wrote:

The whole episode, I was prepared for Rosie to die. After Mary's death and the "Go to hell" message it took me a while to realize that Rosie did survive.

Well, it is interesting, because Watsons are certainly not shown as particularly endearing parents. Poor sweet Rosie seems more like a cumbersome burden than a source of joy. I had to roll my eyes when they "almost" forgot they have a child, so eager they were to go to the Acquarium. 

John especially didn't give an impression of a doting father so yes, I am curious to see how it will be dealt with.

January 5, 2017 9:09 am  #4

I wonder.  The reason Mary had to go, is that it doesn't really work as a threesome.  But Rosie kind of makes it a threesome too - she has to be John's focus, rather than Sherlock.   And Sherlock is also tied into a vow to her too, as well as being a godfather.   I think that all might mean that she has to go too.  

Of course, it could just be a case of hiring a nanny, then continuing as usual once they (John and Sherlock) have got over their rift.   I'm just concerned that it sets up a very different situation for them than we would expect.

I did think it was sweet though, when Mrs Hudson said that they all had to rally round to look after Rosie - the way it's just assumed (including by Sherlock) that he would be taking care of Rosie.   It actually would make sense, if he wanted to do it, because he's the one who isn't usually out at work (unlike John and Molly).   Although he's puzzled by a baby, he seemed to cope fine with her and not get too frustrated.  (I'm somehow talking myself into Sherlock looking after Rosie, which is something I never wanted to see!).

However, they've said the series will get darker, so sadly, that may mean the end of Rosie. 

January 5, 2017 9:22 am  #5

I always thought that Rosie would die at some point in the series. A baby isn't compatible with crime solving IMO, and would be more of a burden for the boys. The fact that the cast said this series was heartbreaking may mean that Rosie may not have long left to live...

January 5, 2017 9:50 am  #6

I found the portrait of John and Mary's actions towards Rosie very realistic. Baby's are not just pure bliss, they take everything you have and then some more. But they were very loving in interacting with her, so I really don't see a problem there.

As for the question. I was wondering the same. Mary had to go because at the end of the day we (and that I think includes Steven and Mark) want to see Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson, living in Baker Street and solving crimes. It seems to me that a child is a much greater issue in that context than Mary ever was or could have been.I still think (and hope) that there is a bigger plan to this, as it was not really necessary for the story to include the baby, but I can not see what it is. John giving up his child, so he can live his adventure-filled life with Sherlock? Killing off the baby? Having Molly/Mrs. Hudson on permanent stand-by, so the boys can conveniently still leave whenever a case demands it? All sounds a bit off for me, but I hope Steven and Mark will make it work.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 5, 2017 11:03 am  #7

I agree that babies can be very demanding and I think Mary and John were doing just fine.
I wonder whether the end of an era will mean John and Sherlock retiring from their crime solving to take care of Rosie O.o Funnily enough, I think that would work for Sherlock but not John

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 11:17 am  #8

One thing that's bothering me is the idea that Molly is available to drop everything and look after a baby.  She's a single woman (so no back-up at home!), in a prestigious job which seems to have difficult hours.  Childcare would be a nightmare even if it was her own child.  Yet she's the default if Mrs Hudson isn't available. Why not Lestrade?

January 5, 2017 11:20 am  #9

yes, I was wondering if this is what will make it clear that it can't go on with the same regularity, because they have to take a step back and raise Rosie 

Last edited by Lola Red (January 5, 2017 2:56 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 5, 2017 11:58 am  #10

I have no idea what will happen... will she die? Will she be adopted?

Will John raise her?

Will she be kidnapped?

I wonder if she's in danger... I mean if someone was after Mary, John or Sherlock isn't she a prime target?? And that name!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 5, 2017 12:32 pm  #11

Yes, I think little Rosie is one aspect of the plot that is still nebulous for me...
I don't quite know what to make of her, litterally...

January 5, 2017 12:32 pm  #12

Personally, I will be very annoyed if they will kill the child too. Awful!
I hope for an adoption by John´s extended family.... like his sister, for example.

Liberty wrote:

One thing that's bothering me is the idea that Molly is available to drop everything and look after a baby.  She's a single woman (so no back-up at home!), in a prestigious job which seems to have difficult hours.  Childcare would be a nightmare even if it was her own child.  Yet she's the default if Mrs Hudson isn't available. Why not Lestrade?

I was wondering that too. John has a family - his sister Harry.
Why not call her, but burden somebody who is not the member of his family with a child-care?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 5, 2017 1:01 pm  #13

If Harry's still an alcoholic, not to mention one who has possibly never even met Rosie, then she might not be the ideal person.  Even if she's not currently drinking, she might have a job. 

And I know we're looking at ways John could get rid of Rosie for the sake of the plot, but realistically, the poor child has just lost one parent.  It would be very cruel to send her off to strangers, and have her lose the other parent too.  John may well have some financial benefits from Mary's death, and could just pay for childcare, to cover when he's at work, and perhaps when he's out with Sherlock too.   But I suppose this isn't real life, and we have to get that poor baby out of the way somehow!  I think we're just clutching at adoption and fostering so on, because we're dreading something worse!

January 5, 2017 1:07 pm  #14

Well, you know Steven and Mark ! They would never be that cruel ! ... Wait... Oh, well... I tried to convince myself as much as I tried to convince you ! This is an epic fail ! 

January 5, 2017 1:12 pm  #15

Having seen that Uncle Sherlock scene and loved it, I'm warming up towards parentlock. I also think that would count as TV history.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 1:17 pm  #16

I don't think Rosie is a problem . Probably the reason for the a time lapse at the end of S04. Maybe she and her friends will become like the Baker Street irregulars and go hunting green barges or something.
Surely they wouldn't kill a baby off!
I remember a Rathbone film where they commented Watson had a daughter that grew up mentioned and in TPLOSH Watson has desendants.

This is assuming she even exists of course 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 1:55 pm  #17

In canon Sherlock Holmes retires to a nice country cottage in order to grow roses. So, maybe Sherlock eventually retires to a nice country cottage in order to raise Rosie
Honestly, I have no idea what will happen to her. While I can also understand as a mother the strains of early parenthood, I couldn't spot many moments of pure joy emanating from the new parents and was puzzled by this apparent continuous lack of enthusiasm displayed by John and Mary. Something feels very off to me. To me they seem to be absolutely dutiful but not really doting parents. They seem to be so stiff - like when the first fotos are taken by Molly and Mrs. Hudson. You see a lot of the stress and none of the joy. Even the colors are drab when the fotos are taken.  When John plays with her he seems to look almost sadly at her. For me the nicest interaction with Rosie was Sherlock berating her about constantly throwing the rattle. That was pure undiluted Sherlock.  Maybe, the makers wanted to avoid mawkishness and artificial sweetness. Fair enough. Or we see it all through Sherlock's  less than enthusiastic eyes. But Sherlock seems to have a knack with children. He is certainly unorthodox in his methods but he's good with them -as has been shown in TSOT with little Archie before the wedding. He even berates Mycroft because all he can come up with about Rosie, is, that she seems to be functional.
I sure don't know what's up with Rosie and where it will all end. But I don't want her to die.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 5, 2017 1:56 pm)

January 5, 2017 2:00 pm  #18

I loved the scene with Sherlock and the rattle too. He called the baby Watson !
I really thought I would hate Sherlock with the baby scenes before. But   

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 2:09 pm  #19

Even though we didn't see a lot of time devoted to John and the baby, I thought the scene where he was changing her and playing with her very sweet.  He was quite tender and loving.  I didn't expect a lot because the nature of the show is that they must get in as much as they can in their limited time frame.

And although I don't want the show to turn into "Uncle Sherlock"  I did also love the scene with Sherlock and Rosie.  I've always had a soft spot for parentlock fics and that was about how I always imagined he would be with an infant.  The fact that he called her Watson was adorable!

Interesting thought that Rosie could be the reason for there having to be a break after S4.  Parentlock for real!  I don't think it's an impossible idea.  I could see John being torn up because he has to give up crime solving with Sherlock, but knowing he has to put Rosie first.  Then Sherlock being all "I made a vow" and saying they will take care of Rosie together.  It would certainly be something that's never been done with Sherlock before and I could be satisfied with the story going that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2017 2:21 pm  #20

tonnaree wrote:

Interesting thought that Rosie could be the reason for there having to be a break after S4.  Parentlock for real!  I don't think it's an impossible idea.  I could see John being torn up because he has to give up crime solving with Sherlock, but knowing he has to put Rosie first.  Then Sherlock being all "I made a vow" and saying they will take care of Rosie together.  It would certainly be something that's never been done with Sherlock before and I could be satisfied with the story going that way.

Oh, that would've been lovely! And ambigious enough to hopefully satisfy both Johnlockers and non-shippers. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera