BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2012 2:27 pm  #1

sherlock acting stupid?

When him and jim r talking on the roof he acts stupid like not knowing he was going to kill himself even tho he did?! Sherlock usaly boasts about his interlect what happened :O

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 16, 2012 2:48 pm  #2

Re: sherlock acting stupid?

I think he just tries to act stupid so Moriarty won't think he knows that he is going to "die" Sherlock had a plan, and if Moriarty knew that, he probably would have killed Sherlock himself or made sure that he actually died.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 16, 2012 3:04 pm  #3

True, but that if moriaty killed him than the newspaper would never have seen the suicide, so moriaty would not have ever shot him and also its not moriatys plan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 16, 2012 4:23 pm  #4

I think the moment Sherlock knew he was going to have to "die" right after the scene with Richard Brook. Him and John were outside and Sherlock says something like he knows what he has to do...then he was acting stupid all through the roof scene to try and fool Moriarty...although I think he was still genuinely surprised when he shot himself!

But d'you think he already knew about the 3 assassins before Jim told him??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 18, 2012 11:03 pm  #5

Sherlock must have known about the three assassins. I think Holmes had planned everything that happened, including the "jump" from the roof. He knew he had to make it look like he was falling to his death to prevent the hitmen to shoot Hudson, Lestrade and Watson. That's my theory anyway. It differs quite a lot from the original story of course but that only makes it more interesting to spot the hinted similarities.

February 18, 2012 11:17 pm  #6

Yeah, I think he knew about the assasins before Jim told him too...he's too smart, he would have worked that out already - he knew there were assasins living in Baker Street and he also knew that Moriarty has used assasins before (in pool scene in Great Game)...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 19, 2012 1:14 pm  #7

Early in the episode Sherlock goes onto his computer and it lists the assassins and he says they have him under surveillance. In fact I'm pretty sure there are 5 names listed. Mycroft says there are 4 assassins. Once 2 are dead then that should have left 2 still operating but Sherlock knows there are 3 still operating.

Sherlock knows, because Moriarty told him, that if he did not stop interfering with Moriarty's activities Moriarty would 'burn him' and yet Sherlock deliberately interfered and got lots of publicity as a result. Sherlock is not stupid so this must be calculated.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 19, 2012 1:22 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Early in the episode Sherlock goes onto his computer and it lists the assassins and he says they have him under surveillance. In fact I'm pretty sure there are 5 names listed. Mycroft says there are 4 assassins. Once 2 are dead then that should have left 2 still operating but Sherlock knows there are 3 still operating.

Sherlock knows, because Moriarty told him, that if he did not stop interfering with Moriarty's activities Moriarty would 'burn him' and yet Sherlock deliberately interfered and got lots of publicity as a result. Sherlock is not stupid so this must be calculated.

No, the fifth one we see on the 'network places' window would be his own. (check on your own computer, yours is listed) The other 4 are the foreign assassins.

Moriarty has a huge network of criminals at his disposal.
The 4 he enlisted to 'get Sherlock' were all trying to get the keycode from him. I doubt they would then be the ones waiting & watching to see if he dies, the 2 remaining ones want him alive!
The assassins in the end scenes were paid to kill the 3 friends. There is nothing to suggest they are the same assassins as the other 4 foreign ones.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 19, 2012 1:30 pm  #9

Yeah, I think they probably are different assassins, but Sherlock could have easily worked out that assassins would be involved at some stage, knowing Moriarty's history of using them...

February 22, 2012 8:20 am  #10

The other thing that has just stuck me as being out of character for Sherlock is about the code that Moriarty taps out. It is unlike Sherlock to just accept that a code exists. The conversation with Moriarty in the flat, when they are drinking tea,  has Moriarty feeding conclusions about a code to Sherlock. Sherlock is not stupid and her knows that everything Moriarty does and says is done for a reason. Why did Moriarty come to the flat? It wasn't just to gloat over having escaped imprisonment. Sherlock is not actually very surprised that he has got off, is he. Clearly his visit is vital for the game to move on.

If Sherlock thought that he had 'discovered' the code that Moriarty had tapped out- why- then surely Serlock, who never accepts anything on face value and only accepts facts and makes deductions from them, would have tested the code to see if it worked. That would not be beyond his capabilities. He may possibly have involved Mycroft in this. He says earlier in the episode, when he and John are running away handcuffed together, that this is not the time for a reconciliation with his brother. Perhaps after the Richard Brook incident he decides it is time to involve Mycroft after all.

Just thinking you know.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 22, 2012 8:59 am  #11

Davina the part about the code isn't 'out of character' when it is all part of his plan. He was pretending/acting.
The whole basis to my theory is that it was a plan from the time this episode started. (Check the thread on theories)
He allowed Moriarty to plant this seed and that seed, all to make Moriarty think he had the upper hand on Sherlock. He had to boost his ego skyhigh.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera