BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 9:26 pm  #161

Re: John´s cheating

Actually we moved on after that.
I think it was accepted that if someone uses your name, they are addressing you directly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 9:29 pm  #162

Mary tried to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 9:30 pm  #163

Liberty wrote:

I suppose that people don't have to be unhappy in their marriages to cheat.  Or to be tempted. 

Of course that's true. Some will cheat just because they can.  An opportunity presents itself, and off they go. I like to think that John is made of stronger and more honest stuff, but who knows. And as someone mentioned earlier, we have no proof that it was Bus Lady he was texting.

January 4, 2017 9:31 pm  #164

I think it was her...I'm just not 100% sure how far he took it.

January 4, 2017 9:33 pm  #165

Liberty wrote:

Why would he take a phone number?  Well, he didn't ask for it, the girl seemed very nice and sweet, and was putting herself out there, and it would have seemed rude and hurtful to refuse - after all, he could just put it straight in the bin afterwards.  Which he almost did.  But then thought maybe one text wouldn't hurt and so on. 

(Although that's one thing that bothers me - how did Elizabeth know the "Hey" was from him?  Maybe another hint that he was sending texts to somebody else?  There's also the possiblity that this wasn't cheating - although it's believable as that - but that she was offering something else). 

When a text comes up on your phone, the caller is identified.  By a phone #, of if the number is in your phone contacts list, by their name. So she would probably know who the hey was.

But they never showed us for sure who it was. Hmmmm.

January 4, 2017 9:35 pm  #166

ancientsgate wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Why would he take a phone number?  Well, he didn't ask for it, the girl seemed very nice and sweet, and was putting herself out there, and it would have seemed rude and hurtful to refuse - after all, he could just put it straight in the bin afterwards.  Which he almost did.  But then thought maybe one text wouldn't hurt and so on. 

(Although that's one thing that bothers me - how did Elizabeth know the "Hey" was from him?  Maybe another hint that he was sending texts to somebody else?  There's also the possiblity that this wasn't cheating - although it's believable as that - but that she was offering something else). 

When a text comes up on your phone, the caller is identified.  By a phone #, of if the number is in your phone contacts list, by their name. So she would probably know who the hey was.

But they never showed us for sure who it was. Hmmmm.

But how would she know? We never see John giving her his number too.
I think she can make an educated guess. She probably doesn't give her number to many men every day.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2017 9:36 pm  #167

I think Liberty's point was that John texted her first and she didn't have his number then.
But I presume she was waiting for him to contact her.

January 4, 2017 9:43 pm  #168

besleybeans, I just don't think John necessarily texted the bus lady all the time we see him texting. At night in bed it's much more likely that he addressed someone else, whom he hasn't had contact with for a while - unless the chronology is mixed up somewhat. Which is of course quite possible in this episode. In this case - I guess it's possible that he had already learned to know the bus lady well enough to miss her, and the scene at the bus stop, when he meant to end the budding relationship, was a flashback of sorts.
Who knows? I'm not sure of anything anymore in this darn episode ;)

January 4, 2017 10:12 pm  #169

ewige wrote:

I think she can make an educated guess. She probably doesn't give her number to many men every day.

He would have texted her first, then she would have known who that number belonged to. When she gave him her #, that was the invitation, text me if you're interested.

January 4, 2017 10:17 pm  #170

ancientsgate wrote:

ewige wrote:

He would have texted her first, then she would have known who that number belonged to. When she gave him her #, that was the invitation, text me if you're interested.

He texted her first but as she didn't have his number to her it would have just come up as a txt from random phone number, we can assume she thinks it's John because she would have been waiting for a txt from an unknown number, unless of course she gives her number out to lots of people.

Last edited by Lis (January 4, 2017 10:19 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 4, 2017 10:20 pm  #171

yes, we are back on topic! she would not know who's number she saw on the display, but I agree that she probably did not give her numbers to too many guys that day and could guess who send her the "Hey"  

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 10:28 pm  #172

Apparently John is gazing at an image of Elizabeth in the airplane window on the ride home. 
Clue maybe .

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2017 10:52 pm  #173

he is certainly thinking about her at that point, which to me seems to fit with feeling guilty for his misstep when his wife just praised him as being such a good man

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 8, 2017 1:37 am  #174

I think the number and E xx was code . John was checking it against two newspapers before he sent the text. Hey is how we saw Sherlock addressed a few times.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 8, 2017 8:25 am  #175

Not entirely following you here, but I do think John was texting bus lady.

January 8, 2017 9:52 am  #176

I think he was texting her, partly because we think she's appearing in TLD (tonight!).  There's more to her than we've seen.

I was just about to post this in the makeup thread, and thought it would be better here:

John's cheating ... I think that was maybe a good move to allow him to feel "not perfect" and a liar, and so feel closer to Mary, and also perhaps have more guilt at the end.  (While still hardly being a steamy affair from what we saw).  It also introduced the bus stop lady who we think is coming back tonight, so it looks like there is more to the "cheating" story.   Although I find the idea of John flirting quite believable, I don't know if it's absolutely clear what happened between the two, if anything, or whether the lying was part of him planning something else before Mary's death.  (Or am I just being sucked in with the trope of somebody appearing to be cheating and it turns out they were planning a birthday surprise!). 

Last edited by Liberty (January 8, 2017 10:09 am)

January 8, 2017 10:50 am  #177

Seems an odd way to arrange a birthday!

January 8, 2017 12:00 pm  #178

I hope they do not change anything about the cheating. That was honestly my favourite sub-plot in the episode. I loved to see John swaying back and forth. I found it oddly touching. Also, John's character just got that much more complicated and interesting. He was a bit too good to be true. So very forgiving and trusting. Now suddenly, there is another side to him. 

January 8, 2017 12:19 pm  #179

You know, I found it kind of touching as well!  Very human and very forgiveable.  I thought it was very well done and very well acted by Martin.  His to and fro hovering over the bin reminded me of "oscillation upon the pavement always means an affaire de coeur" from A Case of Identity.  So I'm happy for it to stay as it is from John's side, but I'm also suspecting there's more to it from the other side.

Last edited by Liberty (January 8, 2017 12:20 pm)

January 8, 2017 12:31 pm  #180

Yes, very well acted.

Board footera