BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 4:27 pm  #121

Re: John´s cheating

Lola Red wrote:

If we thus except that in the Sherlock-Universe you can jump in front of an impeding bullet to safe someone you care for, here is a sinister little detail: Mycroft did not move.

Maybe he did, but unlike Mary, he is not endowed with superpowers... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 4:28 pm  #122

I was suspicious of Mary, too until this episode.  There are, and probably still are, those who think she might have been one of Moriarty's assassins at the pool; but now I really think she did want to  leave her past behind and attempt a 'normal' life with John.  There still could be a twist on this in the end but I no longer think so.  Now her message tells us she is desperate to "Save John Watson" from something. She gives this to Sherlock as a mission/case. She doesn't say, "Take care of John for me after I'm gone". She doesn't even mention Rosie, so baby must not have even been in the picture when she made the recording. No, she knows something (from her before-life) and knows John needs to be saved from something real and dangerous - not just his own folly or stubbornness.  And of course, there are those already pointing out that "Hell" is a real place in Norway; and I can also add there is a town called "Hell" in the Grand Caymans because I've been there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 4, 2017 4:30 pm  #123

Why must "Hell" be a town?

Why not a club, an establishment, a shop or a restaurant?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 5:03 pm  #124

I've just re-watched and took notes.
My daughter came in right at the end, so I asked her  to stay and watch Mary's message and tell me what she thought Mary meant.
She said: what do you mean, what she means?  It's obvious.  She's telling Sherlock to save John and to go to hell, save John and bring him back with him.

Having said that, I really noticed this time how Mary speaks so much like Moriarty!

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2017 5:04 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 6:07 pm  #125

The discussion really has moved into strange realms.
If Mary really sacrificed herself for Sherlock then it's indeed hard to doubt her loyalty and we probably have to assume that GoToHell is meant to be a metapher for the difficult realm Sherlock needs to enter in order to save John. But I have developed some doubts now if the shooting scene we have seen in the aquarium hasn't been doctored - just like CAM's shooting. The way Mary seemed to intercept the bullet simply looked too cartoonish for my taste. Certainly it could've been done in a  more realistic fashion and in a less physics-defying manner. So, why did they go with this cartoonish version? Interestingly the doctored CAM shooting looked a bit cartoonish, too
If the footage which shows Mary's death was indeed doctored  then all bets are off. Then we can't conclude with certainty anymore that Mary really died because she took the bullet in order to save Sherlock. Then we simply don't know what really happened - just like those who will only see the doctored version of CAM's shooting. And we also can't conclude anymore that Mary must've been on the side of the angels for sure because she sacrificed herself. Maybe, that's not at all what happened - to borrow Sherlock's words.
  It has been pointed out that Mary's GoToHell might not have been part of the dvd which has been viewed by Sherlock and that it was only meant for us, the viewers,  who are privy for a moment of Mary's true feelings. It's a distinctive possibility.
I don't know what to believe anymore. This episode is totally ambiguous. And while I still don't like it a lot, it certainly has become more interesting for me.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 4, 2017 6:07 pm)

January 4, 2017 6:11 pm  #126

I presume we were the only ones to see Moriarty's final appearance...and I never really understood the point of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 6:15 pm  #127

besleybean wrote:

I presume we were the only ones to see Moriarty's final appearance...and I never really understood the point of that.

Lestrade saw it at the pub and many more people watched it . It was broadcasted all over the UK, wasn't it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 4, 2017 6:16 pm  #128

I meant the one after the credits.

January 4, 2017 6:18 pm  #129

besleybean wrote:

I meant the one after the credits.

That was after the credits. We saw the plane take off, the credits started to roll - and then the cut to Lestrade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 4, 2017 6:18 pm  #130

As to Amanda Abbington's  or any other actor's interpretation of their roles: that's certainly interesting but unreliable. Since they shoot so much material, they might not fully know themselves what is exactly going on at the time when it's filmed. BC once said that he himself didn't know for sure how Sherlock faked his suicide.
At the time it was shot Amanda Abbington might well have been told that she is supposed to play a woman who reacts instinctively. If later scenes contradict this version she's most certainly not allowed to tell us ;)
I'm not saying that we have seen a doctored scene. But I don't exclude it anymore.

January 4, 2017 6:22 pm  #131

Sorry Schmiezi, we are still at cross purposes...there are TWO images of Moriarty shown.
The one at Piccadilly and on all the TV screens.
But then there is the last one which is Jim side on to the camera, in colour and looks more real.

January 4, 2017 6:23 pm  #132

Schmiezi, but Lestrade didn't see the final, very soft "Miss Me", where Jim almost looks a little sad. It lasts only for a few seconds and doesn't belong to the public broadcast.
So far this hasn't been addressed, and I don't know what's the point of this little scene.

January 4, 2017 6:24 pm  #133

besleybean, I agree.

January 4, 2017 6:25 pm  #134

Ah, now I got it. I never thought it served any purpose so I never wondered much about it. :-)

January 4, 2017 6:33 pm  #135

Schmiezi, I have no idea either and didn't really think about this moment a lot. But since it did not belong to the broadcast, it's also possible that Mary's GoToHell didn't belong to the dvd recording, but is something solely the audience is aware of. If that's so, it could indeed  lend itself to a few different interpretations.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 4, 2017 7:23 pm)

January 4, 2017 6:44 pm  #136

sherlocked wrote:

Schmiezi, I have no idea either and didn't really think about this moment a lot. But since it did not belong to the broadcast, it's also possible that Mary's GoToHell didn't belong to the dvd recording, but is something solely the audience is aware of. If that's so, it could indeed  lend itself to a different interpretation.

That's a good thought. If it meant "Go to hell and back to save John", why place it at such an odd spot? We knew about that already from the rest of Mary's Save-John pep-talk.

IMO it only make sense if it has a different meaning. Hence my belief that it means "Go to hell, you f***ing b***ard"

January 4, 2017 6:48 pm  #137

Although after our little discussion...
The difference is:  Jim's initial appearance was meant for public consumption.
But both Mary's appearances were only meant for Sherlock.

January 4, 2017 6:52 pm  #138

besleybean wrote:

Although after our little discussion...
The difference is:  Jim's initial appearance was meant for public consumption.
But both Mary's appearances were only meant for Sherlock.

I doubt that Mary's second appearance was meant for Sherlock. More like something Mary said when recording her speech. Something we saw but Sherlock did not.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 4, 2017 6:53 pm)

January 4, 2017 6:54 pm  #139

Hmm...again, not sure on this one.
I mean Andrew/Jim( I was never sure which it was meant to be!)almost seems to be appealing to us directly.
But Mary seems to be addressing Sherlock alone.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2017 6:54 pm)

January 4, 2017 6:55 pm  #140

besleybean, please read my last edited comment. If GoToHell wasn't part of the dvd recording we can't know at all whether she meant Sherlock or someone else should go to hell. She might have done the recording for Sherlock - and then we are privy how she wishes  whoever threatens John would go to hell.

Board footera