BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2017 6:35 pm  #241

Re: John´s cheating

I think Mary's "get on with it" means get on with being the man he wants to be. 

January 12, 2017 6:47 pm  #242

I guess...I see I kind of misunderstood that a bit, then.
I had thought John was talking about wanting more relationships, seeing as it was after saying he'd wanted more with E.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 7:12 am  #243

besleybean wrote:

Well then what did he mean by:  I wanted more and I still do? 
Then Mary says: well get on with it, then.

Didn't Mary's "get on with it" follow John's remark that she always saw him as the man he wanted to be? I don't think it refered to his earlier remark about wanting more.

(Oh, sorry, I noticed too late that Liberty already mentioned this above. I didn't notice the thread had one more page).

Last edited by Kae Em (January 13, 2017 7:16 am)

January 13, 2017 7:15 am  #244

Seems I'm the only one who misunderstood this!
I thought it tied in with John telling Sherlock to make a go of it with Irene.

Last edited by besleybean (January 13, 2017 7:16 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 7:20 am  #245

besleybean wrote:

Seems I'm the only one who misunderstood this!

I don't think you are the only one, there just aren't so many people reading this thread any more.

January 13, 2017 7:22 am  #246

Possibly you are right.
Some seem more disturbed by the violence and probably rightly so.

January 13, 2017 7:24 am  #247

besleybean wrote:

I thought it tied in with John telling Sherlock to make a go of it with Irene.

Well, we don't know for sure what the writers wanted the line to mean, so you might still be right. I just prefer the interpretation that it was supposed to mean that John should go on becoming the man he wanted to be 

January 13, 2017 7:25 am  #248

They are not totally incompatible: because I take it to mean the man he wanted to be included not settling down into domesticity...though this may be bad news for Rosie.

January 13, 2017 7:35 am  #249

besleybean wrote:

They are not totally incompatible: because I take it to mean the man he wanted to be included not settling down into domesticity...though this may be bad news for Rosie.

I take it that the man he was didn't want to settle down into domesticity but he wanted to be a man who settled down into domesticity.

Because the man he was texted to another woman and wanted more than just texting.
The man Mary thought he was was settled down to be a perfect husband and father.

So if Mary thought John already was the man he wanted to be, then the man he wanted to be is settled down into domesticity.

Last edited by Kae Em (January 13, 2017 7:36 am)

January 13, 2017 7:48 am  #250

I think it's just about him being a better man, rather than the specifics (cheating, not rescuing Sherlock until he saw the video, etc.).  Mary thought he was perfect.  I think he is feeling bad about his imperfections, and rather than wallowing in that, he's going to try to become what she thought he was. 

He has also made big steps closer to Sherlock in this episode - even doing deductions!  This was John's episode for me. 

January 13, 2017 8:42 am  #251

Liberty wrote:

I think it's just about him being a better man, rather than the specifics (cheating, not rescuing Sherlock until he saw the video, etc.).  Mary thought he was perfect.  I think he is feeling bad about his imperfections, and rather than wallowing in that, he's going to try to become what she thought he was. 

He has also made big steps closer to Sherlock in this episode - even doing deductions!  This was John's episode for me. 

I fully agree with everything you just wrote  I think it was a huge step for John to show Sherlock his emotions and even let him comfort him. I also love that Sherlock makes John realize that he shouldn't beat himself up too much about his imperfections, because after all, he's just human and humans aren't perfect.

January 14, 2017 10:00 pm  #252

Kae Em wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I fully agree with everything you just wrote  I think it was a huge step for John to show Sherlock his emotions and even let him comfort him. I also love that Sherlock makes John realize that he shouldn't beat himself up too much about his imperfections, because after all, he's just human and humans aren't perfect.

Yep.
And also I understood it that John finally showed his emotions to Sherlock only after Mary's "get on with it". Meaning something like "get on with it being a better man: allow yourself to show your emotions."

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 16, 2017 3:27 pm  #253

Now that we know John was sending text to Eurus, I´m really wondering - where did she sent those text from? From the institution in Sherrinford? From some other place?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2017 4:19 pm  #254

nakahara wrote:

Now that we know John was sending text to Eurus, I´m really wondering - where did she sent those text from? From the institution in Sherrinford? From some other place?

Oh, god bless you that you're trying to make sense out of the nonsense we were fed in this final episode. It all makes my head hurt.

January 16, 2017 5:35 pm  #255

nakahara wrote:

She was out, wasn't she? On the bus, being the psyciatrist, and visiting Sherlock? And since she was able to manipulate and more or less control the station, having a phone would be easy for her.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 16, 2017 5:35 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 8:47 pm  #256

I guess she was only pretending to be a prisoner for a long time.... maybe she was out for a while now.
Why did she contact John at first and not her own family?
Also, what do you think about John´s cheating now, knowing he was manipulated into it by a person who apparently has such a strong hypnotic power, she can make people act against their will....?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2017 9:19 pm  #257

I think the manipulation was just what we saw - she was charming and pretty.  Same with "Faith" - she was just really appealing. 

January 17, 2017 5:37 am  #258

nakahara wrote:

I guess she was only pretending to be a prisoner for a long time.... maybe she was out for a while now.

I think she understood how important John is to Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2017 6:55 am  #259

I'm almost tempted to say: really, are we still talking about this now?!
Anyhow, Mary certainly stayed true to her boys and saved them both.
John appears to have been willing to have given anything, for the chance of changing what happened.

January 17, 2017 9:46 am  #260

Schmiezi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I think she understood how important John is to Sherlock.

We speculated that she was looking for information, but after seeing TFP, I wonder if she targeted John simply because he was Sherlock's best friend, and yet again, she felt excluded.   Maybe she was trying to work him out, or maybe she was trying to cause him pain - I'm just not sure what her plan was.   But she obviously ends up repeating what she did to Victor Trevor.  Maybe when she was a little girl she tried to engage Victor rather than Sherlock before she ended up killing him. 

Board footera