BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2017 4:19 pm  #61

Re: TST Headscratchers

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2017 4:24 pm  #62

If it means I get another gawp at Andrew...I hope so!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 4:24 pm  #63

I seem to remember that it was said somewhere that there would be lots of flashbacks. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 12:47 pm  #64

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 12:50 pm  #65

This is what cool assassins do. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2017 12:55 pm  #66

And she got to smash Sherlock's face against the window as a reward. ;-)

Well, to be fair, from the first contaction to giving birth can last hours, especially if it's your first. Mary surely knew that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 4, 2017 1:02 pm  #67

Well she tells him to pull over but there is no other indication she gave birth in that car, right? I mean, every contraction feels to an unexperienced mom like it's about to happen. Did the water break? Why is it John driving if he could be more helpful to Mary abd Sherlock definitely knows the way? Implausible, the whole thing.

On the other hand, I am simultaneously terrified and thrilled when imagining poor Sherlock witnessing the wonder of the new life. Snerk.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2017 1:05 pm  #68

I agree, Schmieizi - she's a nurse, and would have known.   30 minutes is nothing in terms of the usual length of labour.  And it's not normal to call an ambulance when you go into labour!   But quite normal to call your husband if he wants to be there for the birth.   She could of course have called a taxi, and met him at the hospital. 

I felt this was a comedy scene, and not a terribly funny one.  About my least favourite scene in the episode (which I loved!).  I suppose there was some set up with the shark graffiti, but I didn't even notice that, even though I knew it was there from setlock! 

Last edited by Liberty (January 4, 2017 1:07 pm)

January 4, 2017 1:08 pm  #69

Likewise, Liberty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 1:15 pm  #70

Yes, another over-used trope in this episode (Mark I love you, but come on ... you can do better than that)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 1:20 pm  #71

Well I dunno, how else should they have marked the birth of the child?
I'll give magnificent Mark some slack on that one...I have other axes to grind with him.

January 4, 2017 1:52 pm  #72

besleybean wrote:

I'll give magnificent Mark some slack on that one...I have other axes to grind with him.

Like what?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 4, 2017 1:54 pm  #73

BTW, isn't is strange how the doctor drives the car and the Consulting Detective takes care (or should take care) for the pregnant wife?

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 4, 2017 1:54 pm)

January 4, 2017 1:55 pm  #74

Well, not really plot relevant and so maybe this is not the place.
I did mention one of my personal bugs at one point...
A doctor and a nurse producing a child and their choices for it.

On the car:  maybe John didn't trust Sherlock's driving, or possibly he wanted to do the macho thing!
Possibly Sherlock just isn't insured to drive the Watson's car!

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2017 1:56 pm)

January 4, 2017 2:35 pm  #75

besleybean wrote:

By not invoking all the birth tropes he could think of at the same time. I do get that it is played for laughs, so on its own, I would not mind too much, it is just that the whole episode seems full of overused tropes (that is not to say that there were not plenty of scenes which I do love)

Last edited by Lola Red (January 4, 2017 2:36 pm)

January 4, 2017 2:38 pm  #76

Oh don't get me wrong.
Some might remember my moaning about TV weddings, as lazy TV and I have to say i feel exactly the same about a baptism.
But I don't mind a birth.  That's natural and wonderful!

January 4, 2017 2:50 pm  #77

Yes, but them taking place in a car in a far less common occurrence than TV has us believing 
I have nothing against a realistic birth scene, but they are incredibly rare. As things were, I would have rather had John and Sherlock arriving at the hospital to find Mary there, with or without the child in her arms, looking very annoyed.

January 4, 2017 2:51 pm  #78

That, would have been good!
But maybe wouldn't paint John in the best of lights.
Still, better than him murdering her, I suppose!

January 4, 2017 3:25 pm  #79

I thought the christening scene was OK, because it was actually funny, and carried on the theme of Sherlock and the phone. 

I think births on TV are either badly done or too much of a particular type: waters breaking, rapid labour, lots of shouting and screaming, baby quickly and dramatically arriving via a natural delivery.    We don't see the ones where waters don't break early, labour is slow, mum has an epidural, caesarian section, etc.    That would be much too realistic! 

January 4, 2017 4:01 pm  #80

I thought the birth was handled OK, since the way they did it, we know it happens but it doesn't take too much time in the episode. It's not overly dwelled upon. It gives us enough information and then moves on. It's pretty elliptical.
If I am remembering correctly, Mary says to pull over and that's the last of it until we see Mrs Hudson taking a picture of them with their new baby.

As for John in the driver's seat, I think he likely wanted to do that typical dad duty of driving mum to the hospital, and also felt it was a way he could have some sort of control over the situation where he really can't do all that much more than just be there. And if they pull over, he likely would not have stayed in the driver's seat and instead taken Mary's side with Sherlock.

Last edited by Yitzock (January 4, 2017 4:02 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera