BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2016 8:02 pm  #1

Children in Sherlock

Today I realised that children do play a very important part in Sherlock. And I am not talking about Baby Watson. So I wrote this meta and would love to hear your ideas:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/153783039576/the-children-of-sherlock

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2016 8:10 pm  #2

Re: Children in Sherlock

(Well, perhaps except for Archie, who isn't traumatized. Quite the opposite, he is the only child who is actually being understood and supported in the show - for being different).

Last edited by SusiGo (November 28, 2016 8:15 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 28, 2016 8:16 pm  #3

Sorry, that was a mistake, Vhanja, I wanted to quote your post. Sorry for deleting part of it. 

My comment was to be:

Actually, Sherlock seems to be the only one who can reach him. Archie's mother has stated that he usually does not speak. So his daily life where adults do not understand him is probably quite frustrating. For me Archie has always been a Sherlock mirror, more so than "real" young Sherlock. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 28, 2016 8:17 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2016 8:16 pm  #4

Good job susi!
Had never realized that children come up in every episode.
Still more to think about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 28, 2016 8:28 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, that was a mistake, Vhanja, I wanted to quote your post. Sorry for deleting part of it. 

My comment was to be:

Actually, Sherlock seems to be the only one who can reach him. Archie's mother has stated that he usually does not speak. So his daily life where adults do not understand him is probably quite frustrating. For me Archie has always been a Sherlock mirror, more so than "real" young Sherlock. 

No worries, it happens.

Yeah, I think that is why Sherlock bonded with him so easily. I think he could in a way see himself in Archie. The outsider child who no one understood and who was interested in the "wrong" things. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 28, 2016 8:58 pm  #6

Good thoughts, Susi. One thing comes to mind about them: Archie is a mirror for Sherlock. So could be the Bruhl boy who laid a clever trail when he was abducted.

The girl at the bonfire looks a lot like Mary with her red coat. And the real Mary Morstan, the stillborn, is apparently connected to Mary too.

Who is John's mirror? Who of the children is connected to him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera