BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2012 3:31 pm  #41

Re: Cipher Puzzle

Very good...but obviously as a military man and medic I've heard all these jokes before!

Yes, I have the full code now. It took me a while to twig (but then, I'm Watson, not Holmes!).

Not easy to explain, but I'll have a go.

1. Write out the alphabet (A-Z) five times in a single column.
2. Number each letter (1-26 first, then 27-130).
3. At the side of each number, write the element that corresponds to that atomic weight. For instance, 1 = H (Hydrogen), 2 = He (Helium) etc.
4. There are only 118 elements. When you get to 119, renumber the following section of the sequence so that 119-130 become 1-12. Associate these numbers with the elements corresponding to the renumbered sequence (i.e. 1 = H, 2 = He ...) until you reach the end of the alphabets at the 130th character.
5. Decipher the message by matching the atomic numbers to the alphabets.
6. When deciphering the message, every time a number is out of order in the sequence, restart. So 13, 44, 71, 86 and 7 are in the sequence order. Therefore, although 86 is the 86th in the sequence, "7" is not the 7th but the 125th (corresponding to "U"). The next number (4) isn't in sequence, so we restart which makes it the 4th in sequence (D). Continue.

Final message; MRS HUDSON TOOK MY SKULL

JHW.

Last edited by John H. Watson, M.D (June 1, 2012 3:41 pm)

June 1, 2012 5:21 pm  #42

Perfect John. I'm impressed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 1, 2012 6:29 pm  #43

Nice to know that I seem to have more brains than your infernal skull, Holmes!

June 1, 2012 9:23 pm  #44

Well done John. Ever thought of working at GCHQ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2012 6:29 am  #45

John H. Watson, M.D wrote:

Nice to know that I seem to have more brains than your infernal skull, Holmes!

The skull is a good listener.

June 2, 2012 7:06 pm  #46

M r s   h u d s o n    t o o k    m y     s k u l l !
M r s   h o p o a n    f o g e    k n      k deug anna!

5 letters correct *glows with pride*

*scrolls up*

Ah...

*Feels Spectacularly ignorant* 

Last edited by Molly Hooper (June 2, 2012 7:06 pm)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 2, 2012 11:05 pm  #47

Awww, no you did well!

July 5, 2012 4:12 pm  #48

Good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always your brother Mr SH

July 5, 2012 4:15 pm  #49

Good one Molly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 5, 2012 4:17 pm  #50

Good day bro

Board footera