BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2012 10:18 am  #21

Re: Cipher Puzzle

ah of course, Eastern Swahili

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 10:20 am  #22

kazza474 wrote:

Geez hope this message wasn't urgent, the world could end before it's solved, lol.

It's a good job John's life isn't at stake!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 20, 2012 7:32 pm  #23

Am I getting anywhere with this?

13 44 71 86 41 68 1 1 8 92 6 15 86 63 91 11 36 5 73 90 92 92 1

May 25, 2012 11:48 pm  #24

Rosey wrote:

13 44 71 86 41 68 1 1 8 92 6 15 86 63 91 11 36 5 73 90 92 92 1

I've got this, too.
I'm not sure how to proceed. I guess one number will be one letter but need something else than the plain alphabet because it only contains 26 letters. "More than one alphabet".
Or maybe I'm completly wrong.

May 26, 2012 10:11 am  #25

Ok I'll give you another clue...

How many pips were there in The Great Game?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 27, 2012 6:34 pm  #26

3, no...4 no... *gasp of realisation*

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 28, 2012 12:47 am  #27

Molly Hooper wrote:

3, no...4 no... *gasp of realisation*

What? What is it? :O

May 29, 2012 5:41 pm  #28

Are we still working on this?

If so, any more clues?

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 29, 2012 10:28 pm  #29

Well so far...you guys have worked out that it's to do with the periodic table, although nobody has got the elements correctly yet...it is however, more to do with the numbers of the elements rather than the names of them...and in turn those numbers then relate back to the alphabet...I've also said there's more than one alphabet and given a clue as to how many alphabets were used....

Another clue perhaps....

You're probably aware there's a standard way to match up numbers to the alphabet (a=1, b=2 etc), well just carry on with that....

May 30, 2012 9:34 pm  #30

I've had a brief study of this as I'm trying to solve a genuine Sherlock Holmes mystery (which seems to have interesting aspects also involving ciphers and chemical elements). I was wondering whether there was a connection (purely coincidental, I imagine).

My first try is less than 100% successful, but gives the following;

MRS H GEPAAHN FOG EKMK SKULL.

This is based on the elements being

AL RU LU RN N B ER H H O U  C P  N B EU PA NA K  RB TA TH UUH

...and therefore the numbers are

13 44 71 86 7 5 68 1 1 8 92 6 15 7 5 63 91 11 19 37 73 90 116.

Put 5 alphabets in a line and one gets 130 characters to match the numbers against. Unfortunately, the resulting phrase seems somewhat garbled...!

May 30, 2012 11:21 pm  #31

Well, you can work out the phrase based on what you've got there, but it wouldn't be by solving the cipher lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 31, 2012 6:18 am  #32

You're correct with the alphabets and the way you've used the numbers and matched them up with their relevant elements...that's all spot on and you are indeed very close!

There are only so many elements, once I got to the end I went back to 1....

May 31, 2012 2:21 pm  #33

Well, after another look I can get the message decoded a little better;

AL-RU-LU-RN-NB-ER-H-HO-U-C-P--NB-EU-PA-NA-K--RB-TA-TH-UUH
13-44-71-86-41-68--1-67-92-6-15-41-63-91-11-19-37--73-90-116

...which gives...

MRS HOPAON FOOK MK SKULL.

There are some ambiguous elements; for instance it could read H-H-O-U instead of H-HO-U but that would give us a letter too many (once you know the phrase).
But I'm a bit baffled as to why it's almost correct but not quite!

May 31, 2012 8:45 pm  #34

You are indeed SOOO close...I just double checked and it's a case of reshuffling some of the elements around...the first mistake being immediately after the RN.

May 31, 2012 10:25 pm  #35

Got that one...which gives

MRS HODSON FOOK MK SKULL

...only 3 letters wrong now, but I'm not seeing how to correct...

13 M
44 R
71 S
86 H
7  O
4  D
45 S
67 O
92 N
6  F
15 O
41 O
63 K
91 M
11 K
19 S
37 K
73 U
90 L
116L

May 31, 2012 10:37 pm  #36

Looks like you're going wrong on your 5th Alphabet...

It should go back to 1 after 118...so 7 = U

June 1, 2012 1:07 am  #37

Mrs Hudson did WHAT ..... to WHO....?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 2:51 am  #38

kazza474 wrote:

Well, she has been looking for that special someone...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 1, 2012 5:54 am  #39

Tantalus wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Well, she has been looking for that special someone...

LOL you guys...

June 1, 2012 2:56 pm  #40

I didn't like to say anything but I'm sure that skull had a dirty grin!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera