BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2012 1:46 pm  #1

Cipher Puzzle

I made up my own cipher, it's not based on any well known ones. See if you can work it out. I'll give clues.

ALRU LURN NBER HHOU CPNB EUPA NAKR BTAT HUUH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 17, 2012 8:25 pm  #2

Re: Cipher Puzzle

I think I'll need a clue...

Try not to make it too cryptic!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 17, 2012 11:55 pm  #3

OK...a clue can be found somewhere in Sherlock's bedroom.

May 18, 2012 12:20 am  #4

Aw man I thought I was getting somewhere until I hit BTAT

Back to the drawing board!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 18, 2012 3:47 am  #5

The upstairs neighbour cannot move their furniture quietly qnd so I leave you with what I have caught from the 'bleeding' half hour:

Nine letters divisible by four reference points...

ALRU LURN NBER HHOU CPNB EUPA NAKR BTAT HUUH

1,12,18,22 - 12,21,18,14 - 14,2,5,18 - 8,8,15,21 - 3,16,14,2 - 5,21,16,1 - 14,1,11,18 - 2,20,1,20 - 8,21,21,8

Q T U Y Q Q P G V

Repetition:

U, R, H, A, L, N, T, B, E

From 'clue':

ALRU (54) Xe - very dificult to bond with

LURN (65) Tb

NBER (37) Rb

HHOU (52) Te

CPNB (35) Br

EUPA (43) Tc

NAKR (44) Ru

BTAT (43) Tc

HUUH (58) Ce

Xe Tb Rb Te Br Tc Ru Tc Ce

Phone Keypad:

22 26 18 22 17 20 20 20 24

^ I hope it's of use - I'm off to bed.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 18, 2012 2:10 pm  #6

You're on the right lines with the clue...it does indeed involve chemical elements...

May 18, 2012 5:31 pm  #7

I was thinking periodic table:
ALuminium
RUthenium
LUtetium
RN Radon
NB Niobium
ERbium
Hydrogen
HOlmium
Uranium
Carbon
Phosphorus
Nitrogen
Boron
EUropium
PA Protactinium
NA Sodium
KRypton
Boron
TAntalum
(T HUUH)

Guess it meant nothing...

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

May 18, 2012 11:52 pm  #8

You're right Molly, but that's only the first part of the cipher...you need to go deeper.

May 19, 2012 8:07 am  #9

Sorry, I'm not a very DEEP person!

I'll keep thinking (or trying to...)

May 19, 2012 11:18 am  #10

Ha! Reminds me of a guy I once knew. Someone else when describing him said, 'Deep down inside...he's a really shallow person.' it was true too!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2012 12:09 pm  #11

Wow this is hard

I <3 Sherlock Holmes
    Twitter = @ellen_lowe

May 19, 2012 3:21 pm  #12

Does it envolve the numbers of the elements?

May 19, 2012 4:04 pm  #13

Getting warmer...

May 19, 2012 5:44 pm  #14

it can't correspond with letters of the alphabet, there are only 26..

May 20, 2012 12:30 am  #15

...Could be more than one alphabet though....

May 20, 2012 6:11 am  #16

*idea*

May 20, 2012 6:30 am  #17

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
didn't work (i'll try changing what they stand for)

May 20, 2012 6:50 am  #18

elements---fire, water, clay, and wind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 20, 2012 9:33 am  #19

They are natural elements kitty, not chemical elements.

Geez hope this message wasn't urgent, the world could end before it's solved, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 20, 2012 10:06 am  #20

I've got something,
Mr shopoan fog ekn k deug anna!

Is that it?!

Board footera