BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2016 10:41 am  #1

Watching BBC Sherlock should be on everyone's bucket list

Has anyone seen those big "1001" list books? I remember the first one I saw was "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die".

Anyway, on the weekend I was browsing a bookshop and saw "1001 TV Shows You Must Watch Before You Die." Of course BBC'S Sherlock is included! Unfortunately, I wasn't terribly impressed with the write up. Here's what they had to say about it (and it contains spoilers if you're new to the show!):

Sherlock
Crime/Mystery | UK | 2010-present
A new sleuth for the twenty-first century

Cast | Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Una Stubbs, Rupert Graves, Louise Brealey, Mark Gatiss
Original broadcaster | BBC One
Awards | 13 BAFTAs, 7 Emmys
For fans of . . . | Elementary (2012)

Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) is a wealthy, well-connected eccentric, whose brilliance and ability to see threads that connect seemingly disparate elements is matched only by his complete lack of empathy for everybody else. Events brought him in league with John Watson (Martin Freeman), a military doctor no longer on duty after a stint in Afghanistan, and it's here that Holmes aficionados will recognise how surprisingly close to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original premises these reworkings are.
Inspired by movies starring Basil Rathbone that transplanted the Victorian investigator to the 1940s, writers Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss crafted a Holmes for the twenty-first century—even with a deerstalker on his head. Though this Holmes claims to be ignorant of modern technology, the series doesn't shy from the leaps in forensic science and technology—the first episode's innovative visualisation of text messaging has been much copied ever since.
Each season is a short three episodes long—albeit with feature-length episodes—and the writers cruelly tease their audience. The climax of the second season had viewers perplexed as to how Sherlock survived a lethal fall—only for the next season to refuse to reveal how he cheated death (though there were multiple possible solutions, from the highly improbable to the fan-pleasingly ridiculous). The show made a star of Cumberbatch, who finely balances arrogance and aspects of Asperger's syndrome with engaging wit. JS

Classic episode
The Reichenbach Fall | Season 2, episode 3.
Holmes' nemesis Moriarty (Andrew Scott) has turned the detective into public enemy number one. With his reputation in tatters, Sherlock takes the plunge. Silent Witness' Jaye Griffiths guests.

--

What do you think, could they have done a better job describing this awesome show? I think so!

Last edited by ukaunz (November 17, 2016 12:08 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 16, 2016 11:31 am  #2

Re: Watching BBC Sherlock should be on everyone's bucket list

Yeah, I think so, too. Sherlock would say 'boring'. :D It is written like a standard description ok a series.

But the crime is, that they spoil so much about The Reichenbachfall. How dare they.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

November 16, 2016 6:52 pm  #3

This is a terrible description. Off-putting to say the least. And I really hate this part: "who finely balances arrogance and aspects of Asperger's syndrome with engaging wit.". What about Sherlock's humanity, his love for John, his selflessness? I really dislike such one-sided clichéd labels. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 17, 2016 12:31 am  #4

I agree Susi! I'm not even happy with the description of Sherlock being a "wealthy, well-connected eccentric" even though it's possibly all true. I just don't think those are his defining characteristics. And nothing at all is said about John's personality. They could also have praised the show for the terrific writing, the sense of humour, the production values, the score, the supporting cast... I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch the show after reading this description. They should have got a real fan to write about it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 17, 2016 4:39 am  #5

Each season is a short three episodes long—albeit with feature-length episodes—and the writers cruelly tease their audience. The climax of the second season had viewers perplexed as to how Sherlock survived a lethal fall—only for the next season to refuse to reveal how he cheated death

That whole bit is so maddeningly negative. "short" "cruel" "tease" "perplexed" "refuse"

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

Board footera