BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2016 5:09 am  #1

Rewatching and just noticed...

Hi all!

I am rewatching ASIB and just now noticed that Sherlock has a lipstick mark on his face when he awakens in his room and finds his coat and phone on the back of the door. LOL! I had to go back and watch the scene again to make sure!

How did I miss that?

Does anyone else notice these things when rewatching? 😊

"What do we say about coincidences?"
"The universe is rarely so lazy."

November 9, 2016 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Rewatching and just noticed...

No! *facepalm*

November 9, 2016 7:32 pm  #3

Have to rewatch it, too. Can we go make a list of those things.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 9, 2016 9:20 pm  #4

Do you mean this? I always thought it's a mark from the riding crop.

November 9, 2016 9:38 pm  #5

It looks like a lipstick mark to me.  I think it's clearer when he's standing up looking at the text message.   Also, it's not there in the scene just before Irene kisses him (although I know that's mind palace) and appears immediately after. 

I didn't notice it on first viewing either!

November 9, 2016 9:43 pm  #6

I also take it for a lipstick mark. No idea when I saw it but it might not have been when watching for the first time. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 9, 2016 11:39 pm  #7

Yeah, I only saw it the 3rd time or so.
But I'm quite sure it is a lipsick mark.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

November 10, 2016 3:18 am  #8

I'm glad I'm not the the only one who doesn't see it all the first time through! 😊

Realistically, I'm not sure it's possible to catch everything on the first look, and it's kind of a thrill when you see something you missed!

"What do we say about coincidences?"
"The universe is rarely so lazy."

November 10, 2016 3:49 am  #9

The thing-I-didn't-notice-first-time-around that has blown me away the most, is the scene in The Sign of Three when Sherlock is talking to all the Mayfly Man's victims on several laptops at once, and John interrupts him with questions. When I read a (tumblr?) post that it is actually Sherlock's Mind Palace representation of John (the real John was wearing different clothes), I was amazed I hadn't noticed it myself, even after several rewatches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 10, 2016 8:38 am  #10

Same here. We have a whole thread in here discussing the multiple laptops and no one realised it was MP. Or think of the beginning of HLV - only at the end you realise that Magnussen never went home after the hearing but just into his MP. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 10, 2016 9:21 am  #11

I've missed this as well. Maybe my brain just figured it was a bruise or a mark from John's 'assault' or Irene's riding crop. 

Interesting though! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 10, 2016 2:28 pm  #12

I noticed this some time ago. I presumed that Sherlock´s "dream" about Irene kissing him wasn´t dream at all, she really was kissing him while returning the Belstaff and part of his consciousness was aware of that.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 10, 2016 7:36 pm  #13

This definitely makes sense.

November 10, 2016 8:35 pm  #14

nakahara wrote:

I noticed this some time ago. I presumed that Sherlock´s "dream" about Irene kissing him wasn´t dream at all, she really was kissing him while returning the Belstaff and part of his consciousness was aware of that.

But how was she able to return his coat to his bedroom without John noticing?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 10, 2016 8:46 pm  #15

There are two possibilities: she came before the boys came back and the mark is indeed a bruise, or she came trough the open window.

November 10, 2016 8:55 pm  #16

No, if you see from outside, you have to walk up the stairs to get to their flat (and thus his bedroom). You can't get into his bedroom window from the ground.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 10, 2016 8:57 pm  #17

There is another thing about that scene that struck me: 
Irene drugs Sherlock, leaves her house via the window. Sherlock goes into his MP/drug trance whatever and solves the hiker case, leading Irene through it. He falls back into his imaginary bed, Irene comes into his real bedroom, puts the coat back, kisses him, disappears. 

So we have a fluent passage from a drug state/mind palace scene to a real scene and we never see where one ends and the other begins. I find it very interesting how early Moftiss have started these things, building them up until the culmination in TAB. 

November 10, 2016 9:06 pm  #18

Now that is continuity! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 10, 2016 9:15 pm  #19

I imagined Irene came and left via the window, as she's shown she's skilled at those things.  And we know she was there because (apart from the lipstick mark), there's the coat and altered ringtone on the phone.  I think that she talks to him, and Sherlock visualises it in his dream/mind palace.   John probably didn't notice because he was in the living room (down a corridor) and the flat is on a busy road.  Perhaps he had the TV on.  We don't hear him, either. 

November 10, 2016 10:07 pm  #20

Interesting thought about the MP continuity.
As for the access to the window on the second floor - you don't know what's outside the building. There could be an annes to the building, a tree, whatever. The open window seems to allude Irene has come this way.

Board footera