BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2016 4:55 pm  #1

Third time's a charm! ;D

Hello lovely Sherlock fans,
Yes, this is actually the third time I've joined this forum (Originally as "Shenanigans" in 2012, and then as "OpalJade"--my fanfic username-- in late 2013). I have a son with a serious illness and I'm hoping that real life will let me stick around for more than a few posts this time. :D  

Top 5 Things I'm interested in (ie. things I think about on an endless loop...) 
1) John and Sherlock's unique friendship 
2) Johnlock endgame (?!)
3) The Fall (a most elegant puzzle)
4) Mary's two secrets (My favourite speculation)
5) Fanfiction (reading, writing, and fic exchanges)  

Er, what else? I'm Canadian. I like meeting new people from around the world. I'm probably "older" than the average Sherlock fan (but don't let that scare you!) Also, I adore ACD canon. So much. I love connecting the dots between the original stories and BBC Sherlock. :D 

Last edited by OpalJade (November 7, 2016 4:58 pm)

November 7, 2016 5:06 pm  #2

Re: Third time's a charm! ;D

Oh, welcome back, OpalJade. So glad you managed to come again. All the best for you and your son. Your interests are quite similar to mine. 

Age is of no concern in here. I am speaking from experience. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 7, 2016 5:07 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2016 6:19 pm  #3

Hi there! Welcome back, your timing is perfect

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

November 7, 2016 7:33 pm  #4

Danke, SusiGo! I appreciate your kind words. A Johnlock fan too? 
Thanks, ewige! (or should I say danke as well?) Yes, good timing! Can't wait for S4.
Merci, Lautrela! I love theories and brainstorming with other fans. :D 

November 7, 2016 8:39 pm  #5

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Johnlocker. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2016 9:00 pm  #6

Welcome back, OpalJade .  I wasn't here last time you were around, so pleased to make your acquaintance this time.  I'll admit to being older than the average fan, too!  But then so are Moftiss .

November 7, 2016 11:17 pm  #7

Liberty wrote:

Welcome back, OpalJade .  I wasn't here last time you were around, so pleased to make your acquaintance this time.  I'll admit to being older than the average fan, too!  But then so are Moftiss .

Thanks for the welcome, Liberty. 
LOL! I actually share the same birthday as Steven Moffat (but a few years younger, I think).

November 8, 2016 3:41 am  #8

Welcome back, OpalJade. All the best wishes for you and your family.
Taking time for your own interests, even if it only a few stolen minutes a day, is a very important thing to do. :-)

Now I wonder if I am oder than the average Sherlock fan, too. How old is the average Sherlock fan? O.o

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 8, 2016 6:13 am  #9

Hi OpalJade, welcome back.

I'm a bit nosey, so I did a search for your old account and found this fic rec:

Shenanigans wrote:

Fic Rec: The Reluctant Relationship

I love BBC Sherlock but I never thought of Sherlock and John as a couple (despite all the hints/jokes) until I read this wonderful story. The characters are so well portrayed and the plot follows BBC canon perfectly; so perfectly that it makes the story feel real--as if it could've taken place just before the Reichenbach Fall episode.

Sherlock and John are not gay, but as evidence indicates, a couple nonetheless. That's how I think of them now. ;D

Read story here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/347612

Since it was so short and sweet I just read it now, and I loved it! Let us know if you've read any more good fics lately

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 8, 2016 2:29 pm  #10

Schmiezi wrote:

Welcome back, OpalJade. All the best wishes for you and your family.
Taking time for your own interests, even if it only a few stolen minutes a day, is a very important thing to do. :-)

Now I wonder if I am oder than the average Sherlock fan, too. How old is the average Sherlock fan? O.o

Thanks for your kind wishes, Schmiezi. Yes, you're right, I need time to myself to escape on a daily basis for my own sanity. :D I read somewhere on Tumblr (maybe not the greatest resource for statistical analysis!) that the average age was 25.6. Maybe the mode would be more relevant? I don't know. I seem to know a lot of fans in their 40's and above. :D 

November 8, 2016 2:44 pm  #11

ukaunz wrote:

Hi OpalJade, welcome back.

I'm a bit nosey, so I did a search for your old account and found this fic rec:

Shenanigans wrote:

Fic Rec: The Reluctant Relationship

I love BBC Sherlock but I never thought of Sherlock and John as a couple (despite all the hints/jokes) until I read this wonderful story. The characters are so well portrayed and the plot follows BBC canon perfectly; so perfectly that it makes the story feel real--as if it could've taken place just before the Reichenbach Fall episode.

Sherlock and John are not gay, but as evidence indicates, a couple nonetheless. That's how I think of them now. ;D

Read story here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/347612

Since it was so short and sweet I just read it now, and I loved it! Let us know if you've read any more good fics lately

Hi ukaunz,

LOL! It's funny that you looked up my old posts. It totally sounds like something I would do too (I'm curious as well). I'm glad you checked out my old recs. I still LOVE that fic. It's my go to when someone is first interested in the idea of Johnlock. I find it illustrates the romance underneath their friendship in a very authentic way.  

Okay, since you asked... here are some more fics I loved.

1) Here are two fics by stardust_made: Beautiful prose and stellar characterization. My guess is; you'll end up reading all of her stuff.  

Sometimes Lost:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/335997

High Tide series:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/283362

2) And here's a real gem by cathedralcarver: 
A Winter Walk:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1111004

I hope you like them! 

Oh, and nice fanart by the way. :D

November 8, 2016 2:49 pm  #12

Lautrela wrote: