BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2016 8:11 pm  #61

Re: These "series 4 is the last" rumours

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 17, 2016 8:27 pm  #62

We'll see.  It's hard to know exactly the context of what he's saying too.  I can imagine that it's getting more and more difficult to pull it all together. 

Of course, I would love to see another series, but I do like the hints that it's not going to end on a cliffhanger - that if it turns out there aren't any more, this will feel like a fitting ending.

December 17, 2016 9:46 pm  #63

I guess they all know that they can't really guarantee a fifth season, so they've made provisions in the story line of The Final Problem for it to be a good ending if it has to be the end...

I like this article, it gives me more hope:

Here’s what we think we know for sure: After giving fans cliffhanger endings in the last couple of seasons, the upcoming fourth round of Sherlock will feel at least somewhat conclusive by comparison. Season 4 is not planned, however, to serve as the final episodes … but it could be.

The final season worries first started a couple months back when star Benedict Cumberbatch was quoted as saying the show might end with season 4, which debuts Jan. 1 on PBS Masterpiece.

“It might be the end of an era,” he was quoted as saying. “It feels like the end of an era, to be honest. [Season 4] goes to a place where it will be pretty hard to follow on immediately. We never say never on the show. I’d love to revisit it, I’d love to keep revisiting it, I stand by that. But in the immediate future, we all have things that we want to crack on with and we’ve made something very complete as it is, so I think we’ll just wait and see. The idea of never playing him again is really galling.”

But now showrunner Steven Moffat tells EW the Doctor Strange star was misquoted. “This is really worth saying because it’s getting exhausting for us all,” Moffat says. “That’s not what Benedict said. That’s what someone edited his words into the meaning of. It seems to be impossible these days not to be misquoted. He was quite specific about being keen to carry on. He went on to say he’s hard to get us all together. We want to keep the quality up. We haven’t even seen this [season air] yet. We don’t know. We haven’t sat down with the intent to anything yet. But we’re always aware that it could be over. But the fact is Benedict did not say that.”

So it would seem the Case of the Fourth and Final Season is now firmly closed.

But … as we were writing this post, another Sherlock interview popped up in our newsfeed, this one quoting star Martin Freeman hinting that season 4 could serve as the final round (and in a radio interview so we checked to make sure outlets were quoting him correctly).

“Life does sometimes have a way of telling you, ‘This is probably it now,’” Freeman told Jim Norton & Sam Roberts when asked when Sherlock would end. “This last [season] did have a feeling of – I don’t know whether it has a finality to it – but it certainly had a feeling of a pause. It definitely had a feeling of that. And I am never ever afraid of things ending. I mean I am not looking forward to life ending or love ending, but things that we make should end.”

If we had to bet, we’d say another season is more likely than not – once the stars warm up to the idea of shooting some more episodes … but we suspect we’ll be waiting at least a couple years. Ultimately, Sherlock’s future is a currently unsolvable mystery, something that Holmes would appreciate.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/16/sherlock-final-season

Last edited by ukaunz (December 17, 2016 9:46 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 4, 2017 7:48 am  #64

I guess this new interview with Mark Gatiss will spark the "no more Sherlock" rumours again, even though he actually doesn't say anything that hasn't been said before (scheduling difficulties, and that after season 4 it wouldn't feel like the show was abandoned unfinished, and other creators will come up with their versions of Sherlock Holmes anyway).
http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/sherlocks-co-creator-mark-gatiss-hints-series-5-could-never-happen-6753100/

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

July 4, 2017 7:56 am  #65

Yesterday, I particularly felt for the fandom.
As some of you know, I get google alerts for Benedict.
Yesterday the offering gave me two opposite stories!
One based around Steven hinting that S 5 could follow the Dracula project.
The other was this Mark story...
I mean really: click bait or what?
I just refuse to read these stories now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 4, 2017 3:25 pm  #66

More contradictions then. Why am I not surprised....

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 4, 2017 3:33 pm  #67

nakahara wrote:

Because you are an experienced post-S4 fan. :-/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 4, 2017 3:40 pm  #68

Schmiezi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Because you are an experienced post-S4 fan. :-/

Very true.... sigh.

July 4, 2017 4:29 pm  #69

To be fair I think the press have been pushing these stories since S 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 24, 2017 11:03 am  #70

Are people actually still hoping there will be a Series 5? Don't set yourself up for (even more) heartbreak my friends...
Short of kidnapping and forcing the writers to put together a new series I don't see how this can happen in the near future. They don't want to do what's already been done many times over, i.e . 'regular' adventures with middle-aged H&W so unless by some miracle they can think of another twist to the tale this is pure wishful thinking.

July 24, 2017 12:09 pm  #71

I think they have been quite clear that it is not going to happen in the near future. But no one can ever say for sure what will happen in the distant future. I, personally, am not holding my breath. I view the series as finished, but will of course be very happy should we getting any more down the line.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2017 2:16 pm  #72

Barker wrote:

Are people actually still hoping there will be a Series 5? Don't set yourself up for (even more) heartbreak my friends...
Short of kidnapping and forcing the writers to put together a new series I don't see how this can happen in the near future. They don't want to do what's already been done many times over, i.e . 'regular' adventures with middle-aged H&W so unless by some miracle they can think of another twist to the tale this is pure wishful thinking.

Do you have any interviews or articles to make your point?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 24, 2017 5:26 pm  #73

Barker wrote:

Yes, I do. And since neither the team at Hartswood nor the BBC have declared the show as finished, I expect them to do more. There have been three years between S3 and S4 so why should there be less now? I am quite calm about this, my heart is not broken in any way, and I am still having much fun in analysing and discussing the show. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 24, 2017 5:33 pm  #74

All the interviews / articles published thus far point to this conclusion. Just consider:
The writers have said that all the 'big' canon stories that could have been made into full episodes have already been done (London 2014 comic con)
The character arc that would culminate in the 'current' Sherlock Holmes is now, in their eyes, complete.
Writing mysteries and deduction sequences is not really their strong suit; their forte is drama, and now there's not much room left for that (unless they want to do something around the baby's character, which is improbable)
Mark Gatiss, that devotee of Doyle, himself tweeted at the end of S4 filming, "The game is over". No creator of such a beautiful labour of love could bear to use such strong words without actually meaning it.

Thus have I eliminated the impossible to arrive at this bitter truth!

July 24, 2017 8:43 pm  #75

I have put down my thoughts in some of the other threads so let me just say this: at the end of June Steven Moffat said: "I sort of assume we will. I sort of assume we'll come back." Regarding his usual careful wording I do not see a confirmation that this is the end of the show. There will be a con in October and he and Sue are currently working on a non-S5 Sherlock project whatever that may be. 

Apart from that for me - and others as well - there are still quite a lot of questions and open issues which I hope will be taken up again at a later date. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 25, 2017 2:03 am  #76

Barker wrote:

Short of kidnapping and forcing the writers to put together a new series I don't see how this can happen in the near future. They don't want to do what's already been done many times over,  i.e  .  'regular' adventures with middle-aged H&W so unless by some miracle they can think of another twist to the tale this is pure wishful thinking.

Well, it's mainly Moffat and Gatiss's fault that people are still hoping for another season.  If "The Final Problem" was truly the last show of the series altogether, then they should come right out and tell us that, so that people will know to stop hoping and expecting.  And if they're going to wait until the distant future before bringing out any more episodes, then they may as well just go ahead and announce that the series is finished, and will not continue.  If they choose to wait as long as people are insinuating, then by the time they ever get around to it, Una Stubbs and Benedict's parents will most likely be either dead or too frail to act, and it would be pointless to continue the series if Mrs. Hudson is no more.  Nor do I want the producers to wait until Sherlock and John, and the actors who portray them, are themselves middle-aged or elderly.

As far as the character arc goes, I can think of one thing they can add, to make it complete--John Watson!  They need to start giving us more of his history than they have given us so far, especially about his growing-up years, his years in medical school, and his years in the army--especially his growing-up years and his army years.  They need to set it up so that he has a chance to heal emotionally, once and for all.  They need to set it up so that Sherlock, Mycroft, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, Molly, and maybe the elder Holmeses rally around John to help him heal, giving him their support as he has done for Sherlock over and over.  I think they should set it up so that the elder Holmeses become John's honorary parents and Rosie's honorary grandparents, since John's parents are apparently dead and the now-deceased Mary has no surviving family that any of them know of.  In addition, I think that John should face an enemy who, for once, is not after Sherlock, but after John personally for whatever reason, and I think that it should be John's turn to fight for his life in a hospital, since Sherlock has done that twice.

If we have to wait three years, so be it; we can do that if we must.  But waiting until the distant future to start a new season would be a waste of time for the reasons I gave above.

Last edited by kgreen20 (July 28, 2017 1:30 am)

July 25, 2017 9:26 am  #77

kgreen20 wrote:

Barker wrote:

Short of kidnapping and forcing the writers to put together a new series I don't see how this can happen in the near future. They don't want to do what's already been done many times over,  i.e  .  'regular' adventures with middle-aged H&W so unless by some miracle they can think of another twist to the tale this is pure wishful thinking.

Well, it's mainly Moffat and Gatiss's fault that people are still hoping for another season.  If "The Final Problem" was truly the last show of the series altogether, then they should come right out and tell us that, so that people will know to stop hoping and expecting.  And if they're going to wait until the distant future before bringing out any more episodes, then they may as well just go ahead and announce that the series is finished, and will not continue.  If they choose to wait as long as people are insinuating, then by the time they ever get around to it, Una Stubbs and Benedict's parents will most likely be either dead or too frail to act, and it would be pointless to continue the series if Mrs. Hudson is no more.  Nor do I want the producers to wait until Sherlock and John, and the actors who portray them, are themselves middle-aged.

I agree. It has never been an episodic show which is easier to end at any given point. It is a story with a long narrative arc and I feel that this is not finished, especially not since they ended S4 with such a surreal episode.

As for the open questions - there is indeed the case of John Watson about whom we know less than about most of the other characters. One may argue that the show is most of all about Sherlock but John is a very important character.
And personally, I have a lot of questions about the Holmes family that have not been answered. The most important for me being the completely inconsistent depiction of Mycroft which is oscillating between the loving brother and the icey judge/Big Brother/Machiavellist. We have not learned why Sherlock has this image of Mycroft, it has not been explained. Same goes for all the other questions about the family that have been discussed elsewhere in the forum.  
And of course I would also like (now this is my wish list) to see what becomes of Sherlock and John because what we exactly do NOT is leave where other adaptations start: we leave them as a family. This has never been done before and I would like to see more of it.  

July 25, 2017 9:53 am  #78

I find it interesting how we can view the show so differently. I feel that TFP was very much a completion of a story arc. Moffat even says so himself - they have now finished the story they wanted to tell, kind of like an origin story. A creative view, I think.

But, yeah, I do agree that there are more stories that can be told. Not only canon cases, but there is more we can learn from John and Mycroft, as you mentioned (I would LOVE that!). 

I personally like the fact that we might get a new Sherlock series/episode/special when Ben and Martin are older. It would be like the HP-series, where the age of the actors and characters match and grow in real time. Of course it would be sad without Mrs Hudson or Ben's parents, but that is part of reality. If everyone were ready and willing to do another special/series in ten years time, I wouldn't want them to not to due to the possible passing of some of the elderly actors. It would actually make it even more real and believeable if we return to 221B Baker Street in 10 years and learn how life is then. Rosie being ten years old, Mrs Hudson having sadly passed away, Mycroft, Ben and Martin as silverfoxes... (well, Martin is one already, but still).

As for Moftiss saying there might or might not be another series some time in the distant future. Well, I get the impression that sometimes they can never win. When they lie to not spoil major plot points, they get criticize for lying. When they are honest and say that we simply don't know if there will be any more Sherlock in the future, they get critizied for being honest.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2017 2:30 pm  #79

Personally, I think it belittles the writers' Imagination to say there are no stories left for interesting arches. They are clever fan boys, they will come up with something.

July 25, 2017 4:48 pm  #80

I think they did the really big, famous stories in S2.  So there has always been the opportunity to continue being imaginative and use elements from stories to make their own.   I don't see that being a problem.  But I do see the main story arc as finished.  I agree that a break might actually be a good thing, especially as this series wasn't as well received.  I would love them to come back in many years time.  (I'm so enjoying the Twin Peaks third season!). 

Board footera