BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2016 3:26 pm  #1

Questions I Can't Answer But You Probably Can.

So I'm writing a fanfiction ( and it's going to be the death of me.) And I'm trying so so hard to keep it realistic and reasonable and I"M JUST TRYING SO HARD. But as I'm writing and plotting, I'm finding SO MANY obstacles and questions that I don't feel confident enough to solve myself. I need more Sherlock brains that are smarter than mine.  So I'm just going to list some questions/problems I've encountered and maybe someone will take pity on me and share their advice.  

1.How could I fit three bedrooms into 221 B Baker St? I need a bedroom for John, Sherlock, and an additional child. It would be optimal for all three bedrooms to be in the same complex.

2. Could you own a vehicle and live in 221 B? I don't know much about how city life works, but I know that Sherlock and John commute purely by cabs in the series. How could I incorporate owning a car? Where could they park it? 

2 1/2. Do you think owning a car is necessary to raising a child in London? Or could I avoid it all together?

3. Do you think Sherlock can deduct children? This is an interesting question to me because children are so different from adults, their motives are completely different.

4....I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Anywho, any opinion is welcome. (I hope I put this in the right topic...probably not. Oh well!!!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

October 10, 2016 3:41 pm  #2

Re: Questions I Can't Answer But You Probably Can.

It might be better in the fanfiction section, but they are interesting general questions too, so I'll give them a go!

1. I don't think the layout allows for another bedroom without partitioning, and Mrs Hudson does say there are two bedrooms, doesn't she?   But it's kind of an odd layout, with John's mystery bedroom that we never see, so I don't see why there couldn't be another room upstairs.  There's also Mrs Hudson's flat, so if she left (or died and left the house to Sherlock, etc.) then there would be more room.   If the child was John's, she'd sleep in John's bedroom, maybe?  Or they could have a sofa-bed in the living room, or John could move to Sherlock's room.

2. I would imagine it would be very expensive, but possible, to own a vehicle.  It would probably mean renting parking or a garage/lockup.  I imagine the public parking in the Baker Street area is short-term, and I don't know if there is any residents' parking there.  Maybe some of the people who have visited will know!

I don't think a car would be necessary for most things in London, as there is public transport. 

3. Yes, I think Sherlock could deduce children.  He is able to connect with Archie, and with the the kidnapped boy.

October 10, 2016 3:53 pm  #3

Liberty wrote:

It might be better in the fanfiction section, but they are interesting general questions too, so I'll give them a go!

1. I don't think the layout allows for another bedroom without partitioning, and Mrs Hudson does say there are two bedrooms, doesn't she?   But it's kind of an odd layout, with John's mystery bedroom that we never see, so I don't see why there couldn't be another room upstairs.  There's also Mrs Hudson's flat, so if she left (or died and left the house to Sherlock, etc.) then there would be more room.   If the child was John's, she'd sleep in John's bedroom, maybe?  Or they could have a sofa-bed in the living room, or John could move to Sherlock's room.

2. I would imagine it would be very expensive, but possible, to own a vehicle.  It would probably mean renting parking or a garage/lockup.  I imagine the public parking in the Baker Street area is short-term, and I don't know if there is any residents' parking there.  Maybe some of the people who have visited will know!

I don't think a car would be necessary for most things in London, as there is public transport. 

3. Yes, I think Sherlock could deduce children.  He is able to connect with Archie, and with the the kidnapped boy.

I suppose I could put it in fanfiction, as well! I'm always so uncertain where to put my threads. I just don't want to be yelled at.

I agree with you about the odd layout, it's giving me lots of grief! I believe Mrs.Hudson does say there are two bedrooms, the one Sherlock sleeps in and John's mysterious one upstairs! I think adding another bedroom upstairs is probably the simplest (whilst least cannon) answer. The sofa-bed might also be an option! Especially since I feel like Sherlock probably does use his own bedroom much.

This makes sense. I live in a very small town where public transport doesn't even exist, so it's hard for me to imagine relying on it! 

Good point!

Thank you so much, Liberty!! I appreciate your insight and your time. You've been so helpful!  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------///----
My name is Sky.  

"I may not know where my life is going, but at least I know where my Sherlock fanfiction's going."

October 10, 2016 4:08 pm  #4

As for a car: in big cities with good transportation infrastructure it's just inconvenient to own a car. You are mostly stuck in traffic jams anyway. Don't know about London, but in some cities taxis have some privileges like buses and trams.
As with the child - when you are asking why John buys a car in HLV - it's most probably because he lives somewhere in suburban area, where cars make more sense (less traffic and less public transportation).
Besides I think London has some restrictions when it comes to cars in the downtown.

Last edited by JP (October 10, 2016 4:23 pm)

October 10, 2016 4:12 pm  #5

JP wrote:

As for a car: in big cities with good transportation infrastructure it's just inconvenient to own a car. You are mostly stuck in traffic jams anyway. Don't know about London, but in some cities taxis have some privileges like buses and trams. As with the child - if you are thinking about why John buys a car in HLV - it's most probably that he lives somewhere in suburban area where care makes more sense (less traffic and less public transportation).
Besides I think London has some restrictions when it comes to cars in the downtown.

Extremely helpful, thank you! In my head it just seems unreliable to have a child and not own your own vehicle, but as I've said I'm from a small town without public transport. You're thought make much more sense than mine, however. Thank youuu!!

My name is Sky.  

October 12, 2016 10:45 am  #6

With regard to the bedroom, the building is four storeys high.  It's clearly shown from season 2 onwards that there are two floors above the living room level.  What's not clear is whether those levels are all part of the property that Sherlock and John rent, or whether the top floor is separated or belongs to one of the properties either side of 221.

But even if only the level above the living room level is part of the flat, presumably it's the same size as the first floor and so there are surely several rooms up there - one above the living room, one above the kitchen and one above Sherlock's bedroom.  There might even be another bathroom but perhaps it only has a bath which is why John was seen using Sherlock's en-suite bathroom because perhaps it has a shower.

I always wonder why so many people assume that the level above the living room is tiny when I can't see a reason why it would be.

Last edited by Ariane DeVere (October 25, 2016 1:33 pm)

October 12, 2016 1:57 pm  #7

For the bedroom, there is also 221C (or A, I am not sure), the basement flat seen in TGG. I don't know how old the child is supposed to be, so I don't know if it would work for you to spread them out over the whole house or if you need the rooms closer together. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

October 12, 2016 6:14 pm  #8

Ariane DeVere wrote:

With regard to the bedroom, the building is four storeys high. It's clearly shown from season 2 onwards that there are two floors above the living room level. What's not clear is whether those levels are all part of the property that Sherlock and John rent, or whether the top floor is separated or belongs to one of the properties either side of 221.

But even if only the level above the living room level is part of the flat, presumably it's the same size as the first floor and so there are surely several rooms up there. There might even be another bathroom but perhaps it only has a bath which is why John was seen using Sherlock's en-suite bathroom because perhaps it has a shower.

I always wonder why so many people assume that the level above the living room is tiny when I can't see a reason why it would be.

Thank you so much for this! Now I just have to figure out if it would be acceptable to have a young child on a  separate floor... Maybe she will stay in John's room until she's old enough to move upstairs! Perfect. Thank you, Friend! You are most helpful.

My name is Sky.  

October 12, 2016 6:15 pm  #9

Lola Red wrote:

For the bedroom, there is also 221C (or A, I am not sure), the basement flat seen in TGG. I don't know how old the child is supposed to be, so I don't know if it would work for you to spread them out over the whole house or if you need the rooms closer together. 

Oh my gosh, I considered that! I would like the rooms to be somewhat closer together, but this is definitely a possibility! Thank you! 

My name is Sky.  

Board footera