BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2016 2:34 pm  #101

Re: Episode titles (spoilers)

No, from memory, I don't think so.  It's just the feeling of an ending that I get.  A change.  And something "difficult to come back from" (paraphrasing).  So it could be something like leaving London, moving abroad, for instance - and I don't think that it is that at all, but just an example of something not necessarily tragic, but which would be the "end of an era" and difficult to move on from. 

Edit: the actual quote is “It might be the end of an era. It feels like the end of an era, to be honest. It goes to a place where it will be pretty hard to follow on immediately.”  And later in that interview he says it feels "very complete as it is"

Last edited by Liberty (October 11, 2016 2:37 pm)

October 23, 2016 7:56 pm  #102

Coming back to the titles once again. Of course "The Lying Detective" has two meanings which is the fun thing about it. And you know that I am quite fond of EMP theory, right? And then I remembered something. There is a TV show which has also been made into a film both of which are called "The Singing Detective". I have only seen the film which is interesting enough because there is: 

- a detective
- lying in hospital
- unresponsive
- building whole fantasy worlds in his mind
- suffering from childhood trauma
- connected to a song about a "doggie in a window" (we get some of these in THoB, believe it or not)
- who is also sexually repressed due to this childhood trauma

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 23, 2016 9:18 pm  #103

Oh my heart!

That makes sense to me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2016 7:00 am  #104

And in case anyone doubted the writers knew about the story:

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 24, 2016 7:08 am  #105

*swallows* 

In a way it really, really could make sense! It keeps running through my mind now, and stuff keeps fitting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2016 7:17 am  #106

They will definitely know about it - the TV series was huge here in the UK, and everybody seemed to be talking about it.

October 24, 2016 5:23 pm  #107

Haven't heard from this show as I'm not from the UK. Sounds interesting though.

And another idea just came to my mind: What if it turns out that Sherlock is or was some kind of a giant "Truman show"? (I'm counting on you that you know the film The Truman Show.^^)
This idea is definitely scary to me! *shudders*

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

October 24, 2016 6:25 pm  #108

I have entertained a little theory of my own in which most of Sherlock's adventures are engineered by Mycroft to provide his baby brother with the mental simulation he needs to stay off the drugs. But that might be more a thing for a fanfic than the show itself.

the only problem I have with EMP theory is that they just did the whole "it was all in his head" thing for TAB, but we will see I guess ... and even a recycled idea can be thrilling if executed well. 

Last edited by Lola Red (October 24, 2016 6:25 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

October 24, 2016 6:27 pm  #109

As for your theory - I have had the same idea. Mycroft engineering exciting cases to keep Sherlock off the drugs, hiring Moriarty/Richard Brooks, the actor, and then the whole thing taking a life of its own. It is one of my pet theories and I am absolutely willing to discuss it. 

October 24, 2016 6:34 pm  #110

I'm in, here or should we create a separate thread since it strictly has nothing to do with the Episode titles ?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

October 24, 2016 6:39 pm  #111

It would be better to discuss it elsewhere. We surely have several Mycroft threads. Or feel free to open a new one.

October 24, 2016 7:38 pm  #112

November 7, 2016 8:53 pm  #113

I don't know what you all make of this:
https://twitter.com/rtalalay/status/795325542966755329
(tweet by Rachel Talalay of the original design for the t-shirt, which spoilered the episode title).

What's the easter egg in the finished design?   If I turn it on it's side, I imagine I can see Thatcher's face, although it looks a bit melted, and I'm probably just making myself see it.  I can make myself see a six there as well. 

I thought it was interesting that the shark in the original pic seems to be eating Thatcher.   So Thatcher(s) is/are the victim here?  The dog (Sherlock/the bloodhound) seems to be chasing the shark in the second one, so the shark is presumably representing a baddie?   I'm just wondering because Thatcher (the Napoleon equivalent!) usually is seen as a baddie too.   Of course in the ACD story and John's blog, he/she were just ceramics.  But why would the baddie be eating them?

(I know the episode is unlikely to follow either story closely!).

Last edited by Liberty (November 7, 2016 8:54 pm)

November 7, 2016 8:58 pm  #114

Quite an enigma, this one. And the scars on the back of the shark are strange as well because it would be Sherlock having scars on his back, not Magnussen. 

As for the spoiler - it must have been the 6 and Maggie's face. 

November 7, 2016 9:04 pm  #115

I did wonder about this earlier today... maybe the easter egg is the dog itself? I don't know... 

Is it that the dog's tail and the shark's fin form a heart? 

The scars are interesting too... do we get to see Sherlock's scars? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 7, 2016 9:08 pm  #116

Yes, it made me think that there might be a six and a Thatcher hidden in the second design (the easter egg she mentions).  Is anybody else seeing them?  Or is the easter egg something else entirely?  Now I'm seeing an otter or a badger there too, so maybe it's just my imagination and the natural tendency to see patterns and faces.

November 7, 2016 9:14 pm  #117

I don't think they are scars, just the reflection of light from the water surface.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

November 19, 2016 12:03 pm  #118

It seems we have a third title:

November 19, 2016 12:38 pm  #119

Yes, the poor cameraman or his agency will be in trouble after all that secrecy. I do not really believe this is a red herring. And what a title: 

The Final Problem!!!

November 19, 2016 1:05 pm  #120

Kind of funny, because they've already adapted The Final Problem ... twice!  (If you count TRF and TAB).  But yes, great title and suggests an ending, which makes me think of what Benedict said.   I'm all the more curious!    And this will be the Sherrinford one. 

Board footera