BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2016 9:03 pm  #161

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2016

Through a glass, darkly.

Dear author,

I love how you managed to write a fic that, given Schmiezi's request, can't but have gratified her extremely. You've so cleverly worked in everything she's asked for. To have a fic written for oneself that so perfectly suits is wonderful indeed.
My personal view on these relationships differs greatly, which is one of the reasons I admire your fic while I didn't particularly enjoy it. But I think you've written a very good and special fic nonetheless.

Well done you!

December 19, 2016 9:25 pm  #162

Of Decisions and Dogs.

Also, he thought, it wasn’t a good sign that his first thought upon seeing a dead woman was what blog title he should use. 

Oh that's wonderful and made me LOL. 

And then there's the case with Sherlock being all clever, and just slightly devious, and a dog and an ending that's fuzzy and warm yet not overly sentimental. In short, what a perfect, perfect fic you Secret Santa.

Thank you for writing this gem!

Last edited by dioscureantwins (December 19, 2016 9:25 pm)

December 20, 2016 2:08 pm  #163

La Vita Nuova - A New Life

What a strange irony of fate that this beautiful story about pain and sadness and a slow overcoming of that inner torture comes here exactly on this miserable day! And yet I really needed something so soothing right now. You were able to make my distress more palatable with the magic of your writing, my dear author, I am much thankful to you for that.

Not only was your work - dealing with such a difficult subject - tenderly and wonderfully written and filled with most lovely emotions, but you also made every chapter of your story incredibly poignant and self-contained, turning our attention to the new aspect of John´s and Sherlock´s misunderstanding and dilemma with every one of them.

I really can´t enumerate all scenes that deeply moved me, because this story is so full of them and most of them were ciseled to make a maximum effect on the reader with incredible skill. Still, I very much loved your description of John´s gradual warming to Sherlock and the way he came to accept him in his life again, as well as Sherlock´s tentative efforts to come to John´s good side again. I enjoyed your play on Dante´s words and your idea to give John "mystical" book of life at last. The moment the misunderstanding was cleared, Sherlock´s gentle claim that "there is still some hope...", the inner dialogue of John and Isabelle... every one of these little "acts" was a thing of maximal beauty and nostalgia.

The light case of James was interesting too and proved that Sherlock´s cases didn´t have to be about murders to be interesting. James´ humorous delusions were a skillful touch that emphasised the tragedy of John in an unexpected way. And yet I loved Sherlock´s compassion towards this man - a compassion only a commiserating lover could experience...

Warm flicker of light in the darkness of these days. It lent the very much needed heat to my heart....

Last edited by nakahara (December 20, 2016 2:08 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 20, 2016 6:54 pm  #164

So today it is my turn not just to comment on a fic but to say a heartfelt thank you because this is "my" fic. Dear unknown author, you made me smile and cry and I really, really love your story. 

The way they start so far away from each other, one bitter, one sad and resigned yet a little hopeful, and then seeing how they slowly get closer - cleverly emphasised by and reflected in the case of deluded James Winters - was a beautiful read. 

The character of James with his conspiracy theories and his broken heart was moving although he could have been played for cheap laughs - which you did not. Wonderful. 

And do not get me started on sick Sherlock and caring John who realised in that situation what he had lost and what he missed. Just the right thing for my little h/c loving heart. 

You managed to fulfill my every wish - up to the beautiful Dante poem which I will have to look up soon and which fits perfectly the story you are telling.

And you made me cry with the part about John going into his mind and meeting the daughter he never had. That was beautiful and unexpected since we usually see Sherlock doing this. 

And then as a cherry on top of the cake you gave me a 3 Garridebs scene - just perfect. 

Thank you again from all my heart, dear unknown author. Your story was a much needed light in these dark days. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 20, 2016 6:55 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 21, 2016 4:43 am  #165

I've been so absorbed by a good book lately that I haven't been reading anything else, so unfortunately I've fallen far behind with these fics. I'm going to try to read them on my holiday though!

Schmiezi, I won't be able to help with posting any more, sorry...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 21, 2016 4:56 am  #166

ukaunz wrote:

Schmiezi, I won't be able to help with posting any more, sorry...

Don't be! I am so grateful for your help so far. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 22, 2016 3:49 pm  #167

Dear participants,

I need to discuss the next postings with you because it's a bit complicated.

I had planned to post the last three fics over the next three or four days. But of those three fics I only got one so far.

One of the other two is written by a volunteer who took over the prompt from a drop-off. She won't be able to finish before Christmas which is perfectly understandable for she only got the "assignement" yesterday. That means that there will be two fics posted after Christmas.

As for the other missing one, I got a message today that it isfinished but won't be beta-ed before Christmas.

So I only have one fic to post right now. (And that is basically how the entire exchange worked. I barely ever had more than one finished fic so I could not for example put them in a good order.)

That means that the Fix Exchange will go on until after Christmas.

But I know that many of the other authors are eager to post their fics on AO3 before S4 airs.

So what am I to do? It looks like it cannot be helped, the authors will have to be revealed before the last fics are posted. That's not satisfying.

Do you see a better way to handle it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 22, 2016 4:03 pm  #168

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. I agree, I would like to post mine very much before S4 airs. What do the others think - would a reveal before all fics have posted be a problem? 

And just my personal opinion - I know, there can always be unexpected problems that keep you from writing and finishing in time. Which is fine. But I seem to remember Schmiezi had only one or two fics at the beginning of December which means that practically no one handed in their fic in time. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2016 4:08 pm  #169

Actually, there was only one day where I had two fics to chose from, other than my own. That one, I held it back for a long time because I needed the feeling to have one fic left in case there would not be another one soon.

December 22, 2016 4:12 pm  #170

As far as the reading of fics, I don't mind the fics continuing into the Christmas/post-Christmas days.  I have been enjoying them but as we get close to Christmas I may not get to reading everything until after Christmas anyway.  But if those who have already had theirs posted in the forum want to post them to AO3 before series 4 airs, then I suppose it's OK if those authors are revealed.  We still won't know for sure who wrote those we have not seen yet.
That's all I have to say on the matter.  Whatever you decide will not bother me.

Clueing for looks.

December 22, 2016 7:29 pm  #171

Wow, dear unknown author, what a beautiful story. I absolutely loved every moment of it. So very well written, masterly describing John's pain and journey as he tried to process it all. And Sherlock always so patient and understanding.

I felt they were both very well in character, and I really liked how you gradually unfolded the backstory to John's pain. The case was funny and interesting, and I liked how easily John fell into his old life again, even though not really ready for it or wanting it - on the surface.

Very well told story, thanks for this little gem. (And smoking hot too). 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 7:33 pm  #172

As for the ongoing discussion, I am fine either way. I don't mind if we wait and I don't mind if people reveal their stories early and post it on AO3.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 11:07 pm  #173

Don´t mind one way or the other.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 23, 2016 9:35 am  #174

BETA READER NEEDED!

Our lovely fill-in writer needs a beta reader for the fic. I am told that it will not be long.

Who can help?

Please send me your mail adress via pm so I can give it to her.

December 23, 2016 4:17 pm  #175

First off, in terms of fic posting and author reveal, whatever is easiest for you Schmiezi is fine with me.

Second, I am so sorry I have yet to comment on any of the fics , real life has been a pain in the arse in many ways, and for the past little while I've been helping look after my 4 month old nephew.
I have FINALLY gotten some not busy free time, and I'll spend Christmas eve reading the stories that have been posted so far! Very excited to finally get to read them! 

-------------------------------------------------------

December 24, 2016 6:53 am  #176

Update:

I still have only one more fic to post but I know the other two are finished and only need to be beta-ed.

The next fic will be posted tomorrow (not sure when exactly, could become late evening).

The other two will follow as soon as I get them.

Authors will be revealed on the 27th in the morning, afterwards already posted fics can be published on AO3 and the like.

I will create a collection on AO3 like always.

I hope that is okay for everybody.

December 24, 2016 11:44 am  #177

Wonderful, thank you!

December 24, 2016 1:20 pm  #178

Thank you very much for your hard work, Schmiezi. 

December 24, 2016 2:22 pm  #179

That sounds just fine, Schmiezi.  As nakahara and Susi already said, thank you for everything you've done for the exchange this year!

Clueing for looks.

December 24, 2016 2:34 pm  #180

Sounds great, and thanks for doing this!

Team Hudders!

Board footera