BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2016 3:20 pm  #101

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2016

I am hoping to get mine finished by November 30th or December 1st.  I have several assignments to write right now, so I haven't written as much at this point as I would have liked.  But I have written part of my story, and I think the rest will come faster than the beginning did now that I've gotten through the setting up of things.

Clueing for looks.

November 24, 2016 9:41 pm  #102

I've written quite a bit of the first draft tonight, and I can already see that this fic will be the longest I've written so far - and probably also the most complex. This is going to be a challenge - a good one! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 27, 2016 7:05 pm  #103

There, done with the main writing of the story! 

Now i just need to let it be until tomorrow, where I can look upon it with more fresh eyes and weed away the worst errors before sending it over to a beta reader. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 29, 2016 1:35 am  #104

Hello, I'm writing a short(ish) Johnlock filler for this community and I was wondering if anyone was available to beta? (Pretty please!)
Not sure if I'm asking at the right spot since everyone here is probably busy writing their own story.  

November 29, 2016 7:32 am  #105

I'm beta reading a couple of stories right now, but if you don't mind waiting a bit, I will read yours too. I'll PM you my email address.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 29, 2016 12:14 pm  #106

Thanks, that's great.

November 29, 2016 6:39 pm  #107

Schmiezi - do you have an e-mail address where we send the fics? 

Edit: I'm having formatting issues. I've converted the document to html, but when I paste it into the forum to test it, all the spaces between paragraphs are gone. 

Last edited by Vhanja (November 29, 2016 6:55 pm)

Team Hudders!

November 29, 2016 7:00 pm  #108

Vhanja, have you used this BBCode Converter? 

http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

I had problems as well and this one was much better than the other I had tried. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 29, 2016 7:06 pm  #109

I will definitely finish my story around 5-th of December. It´s nearing its end, but I need to write a bit more to give it a proper conclusion.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 29, 2016 8:06 pm  #110

SusiGo wrote:

Vhanja, have you used this BBCode Converter? 

http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

I had problems as well and this one was much better than the other I had tried. 

I tried it, but it was no difference. Not sure if I did it correctly, though. I can't remember what I did for the Midyear challenge, I didn't have any issues then. The html-file looks fine.

Team Hudders!

November 29, 2016 11:08 pm  #111

All those who need my email, please send me a pm. :-)

I am looking forward to getting your fics. Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 30, 2016 9:39 pm  #112

I am probably dim, but I am not sure I understand why I am converting my fic to html in the first place? If I put the bbc codes (ie for Italic text) in the fic, is there a reason why it can't remain in word (doc) format? 

Not that it makes any difference, I still don't get the paragraphs separated. 

Team Hudders!

November 30, 2016 9:49 pm  #113

As far as I know, you cannot send a BBCode text as file. Could this be the reason?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 30, 2016 10:50 pm  #114

Can't you copy and paste BBCode from a text file? I don't really know.

I think it's a case of not being able to paste directly from a Word or another text doc, because lose all your formatting, but there's no way to convert Word/text to BBCode. You can convert Word to HTML, and then HTML to BBCode, but sometimes it goes wrong. That's my experience so far.

Last edited by ukaunz (November 30, 2016 10:55 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1, 2016 4:22 am  #115

You just can't. Not sure why but it never worked in the past.

BTW, this year I will mainly (have to) post the fics from school, before school starts. That means I will not have too much time to manually change the formating and repair things like I did the last years.

AND I've decided to post the fics in the same order I'll get them.

Aaaaand I will do so with the first fic today!!! :-)))) Should be in less that two hours!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1, 2016 5:02 am  #116

I can help up until December 22 if you like, just let me know 

December 1, 2016 5:30 am  #117

ukaunz wrote:

I can help up until December 22 if you like, just let me know 

Gladly! :-) I'll send you a pm.

Last edited by Schmiezi (December 1, 2016 5:31 am)

December 1, 2016 10:42 am  #118

But if I put BBC Code into my word document, and copy/paste into the forum, that should work, shouldn't it? I've done it manualy since I don't have that much, for instane the i-codes/tags for italics etc. 

Team Hudders!

December 1, 2016 10:48 am  #119

Through a Glass, Darkly

Dear author,

what a perfect present. This is so much more than I hoped for. I have only read it once but will read it again and again.

I love how you used the mind palace. It is exactly what I am hoping for S4!!! I don't want to give spoilers, so let me just say that I admire how you've turned EMP into a fic.

Your language is wonderful to read, so many powerful sentences that underline the gravity of the whole situation.

Sherlock is portrayed spot on. Pool soul, getting lost inside his mind, trying to work it all out.

Your John is perfection for me, too! Just how I love him. Intelligent and caring, regretting his reaction at the reunion, by Sherlock's side in hospital.

The lack of fluff is no problem at all, the fic is perfect the way it is. If this were how S4 starts I would be in heaven.

December 1, 2016 1:19 pm  #120

Through a Glass, Darkly

What a wonderful fic. Really well written, and I also loved how your portrayed Sherlock and John. I felt they were both very close to canon, and I could so easily see picture this before me while reading it. 

I think your use of MP mixed with the scenes we already know was very cleverly done. You managed to create a really tense and strong atmosphere throughout the story. 

Talk about starting this challenge with a bang! 

Team Hudders!

Board footera