BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2016 7:02 pm  #1

Gun Violence/Gun Culture

With the many senseless shooting that happen here in the U.S., I’m trying to figure out the root cause of it all.

Does our popular media, whether it is TV, Film, or Video Games, have too much violence in it? Does it trivialize it? Does it romanticize it?

Does it come from society’s general lack of kindness or empathy? If a person is bullied most of their life can it make them want to kill themselves as well as others? 

Does masculinity/toughness play a part in it? Do they feel that owning a gun make them more powerful and will make people show them more respect?

Is it paranoia? Do they think someone will try to kill them for some reason and feel they will need to have a gun to defend themselves?

I wish I knew the answer but I don’t. 

September 1, 2016 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Gun Violence/Gun Culture

I think there are many factors involved, but one of them I think is the gun laws, and the importance some people place on the ability to be able to own a gun. 

As a Norwegian, I am quite fascinated, and scared, by this side of the US culture. I get the feeling that part of the settler mindset is still living in the US. The importance placed on the individual having the right to defend his or hers own home by gunpoint. Something that was understandable back then, but times have changed.

Or have they? I think it's a self-feeding cycle - more guns leads to more violence (due to many other factors like poverty, social stratification, poorly developed welfare state etc), which leads to people wanting more guns against the increasing violence. And so it continues.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 1, 2016 7:14 pm  #3

Yep, I simply think the U.S has it wrong.
I wouldn't want my nation to follow suit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 26, 2016 11:00 am  #4

I too agree that there must be restrictions on gun license.

October 26, 2016 12:24 pm  #5

I think a lot of it goes back to the settler culture and how the US was created.

Our history is of brave people heading out into unknown country to build community.
In past times guns were essential, not only to protect your family, but to feed it. 

There was no organized military or police in most places so it was vital that citizens own fire arms so that they could unite when the community was threatened.

I think a lot of this has carried over into modern society even though it is no longer necessary.  Some people hold on to the idea that a man needs a gun to prove that he is the ultimate protector and provider.

Not saying this is the only factor, but I think it is a big part of the baseline reason there is such a strong gun culture in America.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera