BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2016 1:00 am  #101

Re: The Extended Mind Palace/Dream Theory (contains spoilers)

I believe it was all mind palace, right up to the moment when Sherlock woke up from his mind-palace visit to see Mycroft, John, and Mary bending over him, asking him if he was all right, just before everyone but Mycroft left the plane to return to the car.  That particular scene wasn't mind palace, I'm convinced; that was real.

Last edited by kgreen20 (September 14, 2016 1:02 am)

September 16, 2016 8:02 am  #102

Wow, someone on tumblr discovered something very interesting. In HLV we are shown heart monitors again and again. I stopped counting but it must be about 20 times. And every time the line moves from left to right as is correct. But guess what? After Sherlock goes into his MP to deduce who Mary is it starts running backwards. No kidding, this is true. It is the same appliance as in the scene with Janine in which it is running perfectly correct.
So does this mark the moment in which something changes, in which we are shown what Sherlock would do based on his deductions IF he was not incapacitated in a hospital bed? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 16, 2016 11:25 am  #103

SusiGo wrote:

Wow, someone on tumblr discovered something very interesting. In HLV we are shown heart monitors again and again. I stopped counting but it must be about 20 times. And every time the line moves from left to right as is correct. But guess what? After Sherlock goes into his MP to deduce who Mary is it starts running backwards. No kidding, this is true. It is the same appliance as in the scene with Janine in which it is running perfectly correct.
So does this mark the moment in which something changes, in which we are shown what Sherlock would do based on his deductions IF he was not incapacitated in a hospital bed? 

Whaaaat?  OMG, now I have to rewatch it!

Sorry for coming up with another topic right now.
But I just logged in to share something with you all, when I read your post, SusiGo. I just found this by accident and my heart split in half from shock. Not sure where it fits best. Could be the thread for fan videos, theories for series 4 or this thread here...
Watch this through to the end, the first half is nothig special, but the second!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwFIE4Dft_U

Angst! And shivers down my spine. I am scared now, that they could go this direction in series 4. Or maybe the other way round with John and Sherlock. Or one of them being manipulated into thinking they only imagined things, when they really weren't. To break one of them down emotionally/psychologically. Oh god...

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

September 16, 2016 11:41 am  #104

Oh, good heavens, this is heartbreaking and shocking! I think they might go for such things. Not one of them being completely imaginary but EMP or minor characters that are not really there - anytime. They played with our minds in TAB and I am sure they will continue to do so. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 16, 2016 12:06 pm  #105

Now I am really curios. I will spend the day on trains and won't be able to watch a video - what does it show?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 16, 2016 1:53 pm  #106

Please have a look at this, especially the gifs:

http://xistentialangst.tumblr.com/post/150491385517/still-emp-or-coma

I kept looking at them like an idiot until I understood: if the heart monitor in the last one moves in the right direction (i.e. reversed from what we are shown in the episode), Sherlock goes into his mind instead of coming out of it. Amazing!

September 16, 2016 2:45 pm  #107

Lautrela wrote:

OMG !  I don't think it's the "groundbreaking thing" they're talking about but that's scary ! 

@Schimiezi It's like a trailer that imply Sherlock Holmes is a creation of John's mind to adjust civilian life. 

I think I might have read some fic summary like that once.

Thank you - and damn!!! Scary tought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 16, 2016 5:14 pm  #108

Rache wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

But I just logged in to share something with you all, when I read your post, SusiGo. I just found this by accident and my heart split in half from shock. Not sure where it fits best. Could be the thread for fan videos, theories for series 4 or this thread here...
Watch this through to the end, the first half is nothig special, but the second!

Angst! And shivers down my spine. I am scared now, that they could go this direction in series 4. Or maybe the other way round with John and Sherlock. Or one of them being manipulated into thinking they only imagined things, when they really weren't. To break one of them down emotionally/psychologically. Oh god...

The video is nicely done.  It reminds me of Fight Club! 

I think this might be even worse than most of it being EMP, although this might be more interesting.   I don't think they'll got that way, and I hope they don't, but it would be fun rewatching if they did!

September 16, 2016 5:18 pm  #109

SusiGo wrote:

Please have a look at this, especially the gifs:

http://xistentialangst.tumblr.com/post/150491385517/still-emp-or-coma

I kept looking at them like an idiot until I understood: if the heart monitor in the last one moves in the right direction (i.e. reversed from what we are shown in the episode), Sherlock goes into his mind instead of coming out of it. Amazing!

I'm sure I answered this and now I can't see my post!  So sorry if I repeat myself (if it turns up, I'll delete one).

I thought it was very clever to spot that little detail.   And it makes a lot of sense.  We, the audience, think Sherlock is trying to puzzle Mary out and doesn't have a clue.  But by the next scene (John and Lestrade), unbeknownst to us,  he's already made his deduction - he has been into a mind palace that we haven't seen. 

September 16, 2016 5:18 pm  #110

What do you think about the scene with heart monitor playing backwards, Liberty?

September 16, 2016 5:21 pm  #111

I haven't repeated myself, have I? As above, we find out later that he's had another mind palace deduction scene that we've missed (about Mary).  Presumably that's the one he's going into in the backwards scene.   Unless you mean that he goes into it and stays in it, which is also a possibility.

September 16, 2016 5:27 pm  #112

Sorry, I did not see the one above. 
IMO everything that follows from backwards on (at least) is not real. The whole bolthole thing is so unbelievable: half of London knowing about secret places that are not secret anymore. Anderson in the know, again. And, most of all, please look at Mycroft's reaction to Sherlock's escape. He does not seem to care at all that his brother is in danger, he even shoos away Lestrade with a dismissive gesture. This make no sense to me at all. 

September 16, 2016 5:47 pm  #113

Unless Mycroft was in on it, of course...though that wouldn't make much sense...unless he was 'reptile' enough to set Sherlock up for a fall?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 16, 2016 6:36 pm  #114

Liberty wrote:

Rache wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

The video is nicely done.  It reminds me of Fight Club! 

I think this might be even worse than most of it being EMP, although this might be more interesting.   I don't think they'll got that way, and I hope they don't, but it would be fun rewatching if they did!

I think you could already rewatch it with that in mind and have great fun. :D As the video description is saying, this video is based on a fanfic. And it also says, that this idea would explain a lot of things, like Mrs Hudson asking John if he needs two bedrooms and Sherlock doesn't need to eat.:D Makes it even more scary and I guess you could find lots of other things if you rewatch it.
But I don't think they would fully go this direction. I mean, it would destroy everything. Their relationship... Fully ignoring Canon... (or so I believe, I don't know about Canon ). But it is possible that they could do SOMETHING like this, as I said. For example making us, the audience, believe either John or Sherlock imagined things, but in the end it would only be another trick/twist.

Now back to the heartbeats. Does this now mean that Sherlock was indeed in his MP from the moment Janine leaves and he starts deducing Mary? So:
Janine=real?
The scene in hospital bed with backwards-running heart-monitor=already in his MP?

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

September 16, 2016 9:07 pm  #115

The heart monitor running backwards could be a starting point for MP although Janine scene is strange as well. It is never explained how she learns of Sherlock using her, recovers from her head injury, sells the story to the media, finds the cottage and all this in under a week. 
But say it is real - then I would say the Mary deduction would be the starting point. And it would be quite a clever opportunity. 

September 17, 2016 2:03 am  #116

I just love how this seems to tie in with Molly's "forwards or backwards?"

Since the answer was "backwards"... I have no idea what it could mean, but I'm excited by the connection because it seems deliberate.

(Btw, I'm Doomsteady on Tumblr, I did those gifs. Sorry for their bad quality, I had to really squeeze them to get Tumblr to behave!)

For anyone who hasn't/can't see them over there, here you go:

We're first shown the monitor going forwards ^

^ Then we're shown this- note the backwards heart monitor. This is sped-up, but otherwise unmodified footage.

^ And when you reverse it...

Last edited by GimmeCat (September 17, 2016 2:06 am)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

September 17, 2016 7:24 am  #117

I do apologise in advance...
But sorry, I did laugh.
Looks like he's doing:  if you're happy and you know it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 17, 2016 8:12 am  #118

To be honest, Susi, when I posted I'd forgotten I was in the EMP thread and that that was the "point".   And yes, I agree that's one explanation.   But the first thing that popped into my head (that he's going into his mind palace to deduce Mary.  Because that is a mind palace deduction that we never actually see properly - he only tells us about it after the fact) seems to fit too. 

One of the posters in the tumblr thread was puzzled about Janine selling that particular story about Sherlock.  I think it was because they didn't actually have sex - it seemed like a fitting revenge.  Sherlock just seems relieved that she didn't sell it to Magnussen.

September 25, 2016 8:14 pm  #119

I've seen a couple of tweets from Sherlocked saying that Mark Gatiss said the tie thing was a mistake (not his exact words!).  It's difficult to know without tone of voice, etc., if he was joking or not.   Maybe the people who attended will be able to let us know, or it will eventually make its way to video! 

September 25, 2016 8:16 pm  #120

I always thought it was a mistake...can't remember whether I've already said on here, or not.

Board footera