BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2012 8:11 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes is the new Justin Bieber (apparaently)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 16, 2012 10:41 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes is the new Justin Bieber (apparaently)

Am I the only one who is a bit worried about this craziness?
Begining of TRF, anyone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 16, 2012 11:25 am  #3

The screaming at a Q&A session would, I am afraid, have really bugged me! It is all a bit teenage fan worship/stalkerish isn't it. Astonishing that Benedict looks like...he looks...just as well he hasn't gone back to natural auburn then isn't it! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 16, 2012 11:45 am  #4

It's like mass hysteria...kind of like Beatlemania was except now it's Bennymania!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 16, 2012 11:47 am  #5

It'll settle down. He's just riding the wave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 16, 2012 11:55 am  #6

I hope so. I think Benedict is a clever man, so I'm sure he'll be quite careful about this. But I just don't want the press to turn against him eventually. You know this things happen... no only in TV.

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 16, 2012 1:11 pm  #7

I was a bit 'shocked' when I saw heard the screaming girls at the PBS questions session.

I suppose Newtonian physics states there are equal and opposite reactions to every action, now I'm worried about the opposite reaction to Sherlock.

Quick, we need a Yoko!!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 16, 2012 1:25 pm  #8

well I hope the TRF won't happen in Ben's life.. >_< because media are really scary.. increase one's fame today and scandal for tomorrow.

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

May 16, 2012 1:37 pm  #9

That's exactly what I'm worried about... but I may have watched TRF too many times 

May 16, 2012 1:41 pm  #10

I think he will be able to balance it out with his work on stage as well as TV and film.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 16, 2012 2:02 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

I think he will be able to balance it out with his work on stage as well as TV and film.

I know, he does seem to be a very balanced man and he will surely have no problem with all this. But the press is the press. And I may be a bit overworried because the press here in Spain can be terribly mean if they go that way, I've seen that too many times.

Now that you have said stage... has he said anything about going back to theatre? I'd love to see him on stage some day, for me it's the real proof of a complete actor.

May 19, 2012 2:22 am  #12

Hm, that's a weird comparison.
But that's how popularity works and it's not like (unlike Sherlock, hehe) he didn't choose it. And I don't think this will end so fast 'cause he really just now had his breakthrough. Let's wait for all the Star Trek reactions!
And I don't think it will be problematic. I mean, come on, he's no Amy Winehouse.
Haters gonna hate.
And no matter how many people mock his acting and describe him as "arse-named" and "horse-faced", for every one of them there will always be hunderds of us assuring that he is in fact a beautiful man with the best name in the world and mad acting skills!

May 19, 2012 9:16 am  #13

Well, I am one of the team that thinks Sherlock chose it (he knew what was coming) but that's a different matter for a different thread 

I don't think this could harm him the way it could harm Amy Winehouse, I know he is a clever and balanced man (or at least, that's the image I have of him). But this kind of crazy fame risings are always risky. And the press is nowadays the fisrt power in the world. They can put you on top and then let you fall into hell. I'm not saying this is necessarily going to happen to him, but it's just a bit worrying (to me). I just hope he doesn't say or do anything to bother anyone with enough power. I am sure he is clever enough not to do it, at least intentionally, but you never know, Hollywood is full of crazy people.

May 19, 2012 2:27 pm  #14

I did mention this was starting to happen a while ago. The fandom reaction increasing to ludicrous nonsense at times.
It was to be expected, Ben has commented several times on knowing how crazy it would start being. I don't think we have too much to fear in Ben 'falling' however I do worry that Sherlock will start becoming a turn off for people  if not handled correctly. And by that I don't mean how Moftiss handle it, I mean blundering TV people in their quest to squeeze every possible ratings point out of the shows.
Personally, I fail to see the attraction for buying tea sets just because they are in the show, or coats because Sherlock wears it. Unless it comes filled out with an actual Sherlock, I am not interested, lol.

Ben has a brilliant support team behind him, none moreso than his parents. And if his determination not to hone in on just one type of stage stays with him, he will outlast many actors. On the media turning on him, I can't see that he'd have any real skeletons in the closet, although we often think that of some who do in the end, lol.
I think his age will help him heaps in withstanding the 'usual' pitfalls of stardom.

The problem at the moment is that we're seeing the typical reaction from star crazed Americans, everything has to be over the top or it's not worth doing. I secretly hope they all decide they'd rather watch Elementary & leave BBC Sherlock alone. (Sorry Moftiss, but truly you don't need them!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 19, 2012 3:00 pm  #15

The "crazed Americans" on this forum excepted, I presume. 

I do hope B.C. remains centered.   So far the U.S. tabloid press is uninterested, and I hope it stays that way.   A return to stage roles would help the balance (he did suggest Frankenstein in N.Y.)

May 19, 2012 3:14 pm  #16

I am sure I have heard or read that he fully intends to continue with stage work although I couldn't say where I got this from, (I will edit this post if I find it). He seems very intelligent and thoughtful, in the reflective sense, which IMHO contirbutes in a major way to his superb acting capabilities. These are qualities which will enable him to remain resilient in the face of all the proverbial mud that can be slung should 'the press turn'.

Jane

May 19, 2012 3:33 pm  #17

He has stated he has no preference for any stage, so will continue doing theatre, TV, Films & radio. He enjoys the mix & it keeps him 'interested'.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 19, 2013 1:26 am  #18

Justin Bieber has a big live concert tonight and he can´t sing! His teeth is destroying him! Assist Justin to eradicate the trouble and maintain his pearly whites! Guide him and all the admirers are going to be grateful!

You'll never ever imagine that, but Justin Bieber didn't have always such type of wonderful teeth. In this specific game you will discover Justin early in his career and you is likely to be disgusted of precisely what you'll notice! Perform this game and take care of Justin's teeth to make them as fantastic as they are at this moment!

Justin Bieber has an obstacle with his tooth and he has to go to the dental professional right away. The dentist has got to do his best to bring back on his face the smile that made Justin so popular, still he will need to have your assist. Would you like to help out the dental professional to repair Justin's teeth?

Last edited by Krounist (August 19, 2013 1:27 am)

July 16, 2014 9:58 pm  #19

I think Definate that is a no go ! Never ever ever is he justin beiber he is always better than justin beiber

~#Consultivedominatrix#~ "Heros Don't exist , If they did I wouldn't be one of them"

Board footera