BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2016 1:22 pm  #1

Forum Survey - Orientation

Hi!  Some of you may recall a conversation a few weeks ago where I said I thought it would be interesting to do some gender and sexuality surveys here in our forum. So I thought, why not.  Not wanting to get into anyone's business, all answers are anonymous, but I am interested in the make up of our little community here.

Please feel free to comment on results. 

Next - Sexuality

What do you consider your sexual orientation?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 12, 2016 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Forum Survey - Orientation

I'm pan, and proud! (and I love how it's pink!) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 12, 2016 2:01 pm  #3

I just realised I answered all these while I was not logged in, oops. Anyway, I clicked "straight".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 12, 2016 2:11 pm  #4

Ace! Grey-asexual, but ace nonetheless.

Clueing for looks.

July 12, 2016 3:02 pm  #5

98 % straight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 12, 2016 3:11 pm  #6

How do you manage to vote when not logged in?
Anyway, I voted!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2016 5:14 pm  #7

I'm never sure what to vote on these things! 

July 12, 2016 5:19 pm  #8

I know exactly what you mean, my own response nowhere tells the full story.
Suffice to say, I did it for how I feel now and probably have done for the last, well, early 20 years...although I only earned the name for it nearer 5 years ago!
Possibly could need another name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2016 8:09 pm  #9

Yeah, sometimes a single word does not carry  enough nuance. I specified a little in my posted response, but it's still kind of a "close enough" kind of thing. Sometimes I just think of myself as queer because I feel outside of anything a single word can pin down. But I think I'm pretty asexual all the same.
As I keep learning and keep living, I might have new experiences that could change my answer, though I don't see that happening anytime soon if ever. When I was 13 I assumed I was straight and that all the kids around me who were always talking about sex were perverts. That was before I has the understanding of sexuality and asexuality that I have now.

Last edited by Yitzock (July 12, 2016 8:10 pm)

Clueing for looks.

July 12, 2016 8:12 pm  #10

I hear and understand.
Did anybody else do a thing where they looked at couples and tried to persuade oneself they weren't really in relationships...just going out, as it were?
Or maybe that was just me and my weirdness.

July 13, 2016 5:02 am  #11

I chose bi, but I don't usually use that label.

I am attracted to a certain kind of person, no matter what gender  they are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 13, 2016 6:10 am  #12

But then, by saying your bisexual are you excluding possible attraction to all the people who come under pansexual, but not bisexual?  I'm not meaning you, personally, it's just something I wondered about when the option is there to select - it looks like if you choose bisexual you're only attracted to people who fit two genders.  And couldn't be attracted to somebody who didn't.  (Personally, bisexual doesn't mean that to me, but I'm just throwing it out there!). It's fairly new to me: back in my day "pansexual" was generally used to mean inclusive (of an event, a club, etc.) rather than to describe an orientation.   But maybe it works better than bisexual?

Last edited by Liberty (July 13, 2016 6:14 am)

July 13, 2016 6:54 am  #13

Actually, I am against labeling myself at all. I feel attracted to some people, fullstop. For me, that is all I need to establish who I am.

To be honest, most of the other labels just confuse me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 13, 2016 7:51 am  #14

Not a fan of labels, either...particularly as I'm not seeking anybody!

July 13, 2016 9:18 am  #15

I am straight. Also can be attracted by my own gender but that is a different kind of love then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 13, 2016 9:54 am  #16

Certainly I can find both men and women beautiful.

July 13, 2016 10:16 am  #17

I was thinking about this as I clicked "straight". There are certain men that I find attractive (and the number is very small) but I've also had "girl crushes" when I was younger, and still often find other women attractive to the point where I have to remind myself not to stare. Not sure if this is only because I admire/envy their beauty or personality or intelligence or grace or style or whatever it is that I find attractive, or if it is romantic attraction. I don't think I want a sexual relationship with another woman, and have only ever had sexual contact with males. Then again, these days I don't have a lot of sexual attraction to anyone – male or female – and have a very low sex drive, so maybe I'm leaning towards being asexual? Very confusing, this sexuality stuff 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 13, 2016 10:18 am  #18

I heartily concur.

July 13, 2016 10:20 am  #19

I chose bisexual, in favour of not choosing anything. Considering, I don't even know if everyone I fancied identified as female or male. Unless you ask, you can never truly know how they might feel. Also don't know if I might not fall for someone who identifies different in the future.

Like Schmiezi said. Persons, not labels 

I realised, you put "other" options on the other surveys but not this one, tonnaree 

"It is what it is."

July 13, 2016 10:21 am  #20

I saw but didn't observe!

Board footera