BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2016 5:12 pm  #41

Re: When an idol falls.

I was like that and was incredibly vulnerable...if I hadn't been so smart, I reckon a roadie would have tried it on with me.
It is unforgivable if the girls are below the age of consent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 26, 2016 5:49 pm  #42

I agree, taking advantage of people and forcing oneself in that situation is creepy and horrible.  
But are relations between musicians and young fans unforgivable even if nobody was hurt? That was the case with the story I read.  It still seemed strange and I think she may have, possibly, embellished the story, and certainly seemed like a tricky and dangerous environment, but she seemed to be okay and happy about what happened.  It's still not a great situation, but I'm not sure I can hold this against someone when it happened when both involved were much younger and nobody seems to have any resentment about the situation.  It shows the person involved to be imperfect, very much so, but I doubt this happened later on.  

I'm trying to choose my words very carefully, because I don't mean to say that I endorse any of this.  I just feel like this is something that's complicated, though obviously irresponsible for all involved.

But in this case, it's not going to make me stop listening to the music.

Last edited by Yitzock (June 26, 2016 5:52 pm)

Clueing for looks.

June 26, 2016 6:44 pm  #43

Well, I think that if the fan was above the age of consent, and did give his/her consent, then to me it's not a problem. What two or more people of age do (after having given consent) is not something I judge in any way. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 26, 2016 6:46 pm  #44

Of course. It's the coercion of vulnerable young girls that was the issue with me...and different nations have different ages of consent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 26, 2016 6:56 pm  #45

Which further complicates things, of course, since there is no consensus on what that age should be, and in a way I feel like consent laws deny that teenagers can have agency over their own thoughts, but that's a different discussion altogether, I think.

This is something that is difficult to talk about and think about, and I think it shows how flawed even those who we want to respect can be, how power and influence can affect people's judgement.

Clueing for looks.

June 26, 2016 6:58 pm  #46

And a reminder that we shouldn't be dazzled by star dust!

June 26, 2016 7:16 pm  #47

Oh, of course - coercion is a whole 'nudder matter. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera