BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2016 12:28 am  #1

Homophobia in Fandom*

Recent discussions on the forum (and elsewhere) have led me to do a bit of research on how viewers react to LGBT/queer characters appearing in their favourite shows, or to the idea that characters that are assumed by audiences to be heterosexual are (or may be) later revealed to be gay or bisexual.

Unfortunately there is a lot of negativity and homophobia when this happens, even leading some viewers to say that their favourite show is "ruined" and turn their backs on a show completely. I just read an article that deals mainly with three shows I have never watched: Black Sails, The Walking Dead and The 100. If you watch any of these shows or plan to watch them in the future, there may be spoilers in this article (it was written a year ago).

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/03/04/whats-the-fuss-why-fans-react-negatively-to-some-but-not-all-same-sex-tv-romance/

The author compares audience reactions to same sex characters sharing romantic kisses on the three shows.

"One of these events [...] was met with mostly accolades and praise while two of them were met with lots of negativity and downright homophobia. Can you guess which got the love and which got the hate?"

It turns out audiences react a lot more negatively when the two characters who kiss are both male, than when they are both female, but that's besides the point really. Why is it okay to see a man and a woman kiss, but not two men or (for some people) two women? Why is it okay for heterosexual couples to have their relationship arcs played out on screen, but not for queer couples?

Personally, I cheer whenever I see programs that are brave enough to show LGBT relationships. Equality for all, I say. Any other reaction is shameful.

Why do so many people have a problem with other people's sexual orientation? It's as outdated and ridiculous and wrong as racism. If some people can't accept that queer people exist and have a right to representation in media just as heterosexual people do, then that is their problem, because the rest of us are welcoming it with open arms, and pretty soon every show will have queer characters and it will be normal. The next generation will be amazed that there was ever a fuss made about it.

It's every persons choice whether they watch or read media that has queer characters, but people who refuse on the grounds that they don't like to see queer people in their shows should also be aware that their views are homophobic and discriminatory.

Anyway, I hope that everyone reads this article, but Johnlockers in particular will find it of interest, I think – scroll down to the paragraph that starts with "Surprise! I'm gay!"

Has anyone else read something on the internets that might be relevant to this thread? Please post it here and discuss!

* Note to mods: I think we need a "Fandom" or "Fan Culture" thread, for this and other related discussions and articles like the "fandom is broken" one, which don't quite fit in the fanfic thread or anywhere else. What do you think?

Last edited by ukaunz (June 8, 2016 5:11 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 2016 6:18 am  #2

Re: Homophobia in Fandom*

The article seems to have a US slant, and I wonder if there's a difference in different countries?  I don't remember a big fuss over Ianto in Torchwood, for instance (in the UK). 

June 8, 2016 7:00 am  #3

I feel very strongly about this.
Bottom line, not being a Johnlocker does not make one homophobic.
Using that as the base, I can now move on to a wider discussion...
I take 'homophobia' as meaning anti-gay, somehow feeling gays are lesser citizens and their relationships should be banned.
All of which is obviously totally unacceptable to me personally and should be to every right minded person.
Now people may not like seeing gay relationships in literature or in film/TV.
That might be a personal choice thing.
But I would question, if they felt straight relationships are ok...it makes more sense to me to not like either.
From Andrew's recent Paris interview, I was really struck by him saying that nobody's sexuality should be a source of titillation for anybody else...and I was curious to how forum members felt about that.
There is also the question of whether or not you see characters as being most like you...
But that smacks of being dependent upon your own identity being very clear and of course for a lot of us, it isn't!
However, I still feel I can say I don't automatically see Sherlock and John as having the same sexual identity and conducting the same relationships as myself.
My view is comprised of how I view Canon, what I see on screen and what all of the team have said.

Last edited by besleybean (June 8, 2016 8:27 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2016 7:07 am  #4

Really? So I guess I visit the right sites then, people are usually totally ecstatic when there are gay characters. Usually there are millions of fanfiction minutes later.

But I'm sure there are people in fandoms who have a problem with that, like in life. Especially when there wasn't a gay character in that specific show before. Obviously something is wrong with them, poor souls. I will never understand why the sexuality of other people is import to some, says a lot about them.

I'm still not over Ianto that relationship was so lovely.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 8, 2016 7:22 am  #5

Ivy wrote:

It was indeed. I have no idea how the viewers reacted to that at the time, because I only watched "Torchwood" years later. But I don't consider it a twist (and I'm just mentioning this because it was mentioned in the article), because I think there were hints given right from the beginning that Ianto and Jack were attracted to one another. Anyway, the 'explanation' Ianto is giving to his sister about why he's in love with Jack will always be one of the best moments on televsion ever. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 8, 2016 8:23 am  #6

SolarSystem wrote:

Ivy wrote:

It was indeed. I have no idea how the viewers reacted to that at the time, because I only watched "Torchwood" years later. But I don't consider it a twist (and I'm just mentioning this because it was mentioned in the article), because I think there were hints given right from the beginning that Ianto and Jack were attracted to one another. Anyway, the 'explanation' Ianto is giving to his sister about why he's in love with Jack will always be one of the best moments on televsion ever. 

Absolutely

----------

June 8, 2016 8:34 am  #7

Sorry, late to the party. Excellent idea for a thread, ukaunz. This was overdue, not just with regard to homophobia but to fan culture in general. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2016 8:35 am  #8

Quite so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2016 12:29 pm  #9

I agree with your post #3 besley.

I think if a person refuses to watch a show or read literature purely because there are queer characters, that is cultural homophobia. Generally, this causes no harm to anybody as it is their personal choice, but it is what it is.

What Andrew said in the Paris interview struck something with me too. For many personal reasons I have not enjoyed reading slash fanfic lately, and if I'm very honest with myself, Andrew pinpointed one of the reasons, and I feel uncomfortable with what that says about me. I make no judgements about anyone else, it's just how I feel about myself right now, and they are complicated feelings that are all tied up with other parts of my private life. Too much information for this thread, perhaps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 2016 12:47 pm  #10

Certainly what you say chimes with me, this was exactly what I was meaning.
Incidentally(for those who have not seen the interview, well Q&A), Louise was nodding along in agreement, as Andrew spoke.
It really made me question my view of the show and the characters.
More specifically, it really made me question my personal fantasies and I actually felt quite guilty about them.
I mean nobody is talking about Thought Police, I'm fairly certain this is the last thing that Andrew would want.
But I can't really put words into his mouth...
I just wondered if he meant there has to be a clear line between a fun, fantasy representation of characters and over sexualised people getting off by imposing their own personal fantasy on a situation.
I don't know...
The only other thing of note I thought Andrew added in this context was saying that he has very definite views about Moriarty's sexuality, but that they were for him alone and he would not share them.
I should point out that he was answering a question about how he felt about some fans thinking of Moriarty as being gay.

Last edited by besleybean (June 8, 2016 12:48 pm)

June 8, 2016 1:08 pm  #11

General thoughts.

I have found in real life that most reasons given for disliking gays can be boiled down to one of two things.  It's either, My God Says It's Wrong or I Think It's Gross, or some combination of the two.  During the fight for marriage equality when I would ask people to give me a reason against it that didn't involve religion or personal taste, no one could.

Sadly, a lot of people also still view sexuality as a choice or a condition that can be "cured" rather than something innate.  In this day and age there are still many who refuse to believe you are "born that way."

Oh, it makes me so angry.

I can remember when my daughter came out, I was telling a certain friend. Their first response was, what are you going to do about it? Really, I thought. What am I going to do about it. Well, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing all along. Feed her, clothe her, shelter her and love her. The person may have meant no harm but it irritated me.

Last edited by tonnaree (June 8, 2016 1:10 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2016 1:14 pm  #12

I hope we can all agree with your post, Tonnaree.
I remember my Mum being so upset by her best friend.
My Mum had just told her about my sister being gay and the friend's response was: you must be so disappointed.
This woman is a qualified nurse...beggars belief at the attitude.
However, I'm not certain how these sad realities of life relate to homophobia in the fandom...
I don't really know if I've encountered any.
I have certainly encountered fans being(falsely) accused of being homophobic.

Last edited by besleybean (June 8, 2016 1:15 pm)

June 8, 2016 1:21 pm  #13

I think the reasons I talked about for homophobia in real life also apply to someone that is homophobic about the characters in their entertainment.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 8, 2016 1:23 pm  #14

I agree.
But again, I've not actually encountered anybody being homophobic about any gay characters in Sherlock.

June 8, 2016 1:27 pm  #15

Then you are lucky.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 8, 2016 1:27 pm  #16

Apparently so.

June 8, 2016 1:37 pm  #17

It's a bit embarrassing because I thought I saw all of that Q&A. But what did Andrew say exactly?

----------

June 8, 2016 2:13 pm  #18

He said something like: I have my own feelings about the sexuality of Moriarty, but I feel that's for me  as the actor and I wouldn't share this with anybody else.
And then: what I do feel strongly about is that nobody's sexuality should be the source of other people's titillation.
He said other stuff...the link is in the thread : Andrew Scott on fan fiction.
Just tried to post you the link and of course I can't!
The thread title is actually Andrew Scott on fan fic.

Last edited by besleybean (June 8, 2016 2:16 pm)

June 8, 2016 2:40 pm  #19

Could you explain the meaning of tittilation to me? My dictionary  gives me different meaning that cannot all be right...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 8, 2016 3:58 pm  #20

It means getting a kick out of, more specifically be sexually 'provoked' by...

Board footera