BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 12:33 pm  #121

Re: Sherlock acrostic

D'ja want anuver clue mat'? (I'm writing in our local dialect!)

I like the Lestrade acrostic a lot especially carrying the idea over from one line to the next.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 1:17 pm  #122

Yeah, I wanna clue ri' now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 2:53 pm  #123

Aw' righ'. Look at the first letter of each of the last three lines of the poem. It's in her name.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 2:56 pm  #124

Son?

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 1, 2012 5:17 pm  #125

Yes, of course "son".  Mrs. Hudson has a mother/son relationship with Sherlock. I caught that pretty quickly when I saw how the last three lines were set apart. Nice job.  I just found this thread and started looking at these little gems. I now realize how absolutely brilliant the people on this forum are! Wish I could contribute but these are beyond my abilities    Keep going - what fun to read!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 1, 2012 7:36 pm  #126

Yes 'son'. Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated!

July 2, 2012 12:46 am  #127

jenosborn: Really like your Lestrade acrostic.  It captures the sentiment perfectly.

Davina: Huh?  I see (note intentional use of that word) that with the last three lines, the first one begins with S, then O; the second line begins with O, then N; the third line begins with N, then E.  Kind of wrapping the letters around each other.  So the first vertical word is "son" and the second vertical word is "one" but the third doesn't make sense.  But I'm guessing that's not what you meant.  I still don't get it--wah!   

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (July 2, 2012 12:47 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 2, 2012 1:23 am  #128

Ah Davina,  SON,  of course,  sums them up so concisely.
Sometimes it's just staring us in the face!      Lovely.

And Sherli, thanks I had fun with the Lestrade acrostic.   
6 syllables in the first 7 lines,  7 syllables in the last
(Why?  Since "they know he's better",  I figured that was worth an extra syllable...)

July 2, 2012 3:34 am  #129

OH!  Now I get it.  I was looking for something a lot more convoluted, lol.  I knew the last three letters were s-o-n but didn't see what was so special about that.  Missed the whole abstract meaning...  *slaps head in annoyance.*  Like Sherlock, I was making it a lot more complicated than it had to be.  I also feel like John trying to figure out the meaning of UMQRA!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2, 2012 5:20 am  #130

Oh Sherli! That really made me laugh. Yep, like Jim said,' You always want things to be so clever'. I must pull my finger out and write one for Greg.

July 3, 2012 3:43 pm  #131

My Acrostic for poor Lestrade. 

Loving, leaving husband
Expects an absent wife

Stranger in his own home
Tries hard to make it right
Really trying this time
Always avoids a fight.
Deluded forgiveness
END.

July 4, 2012 3:56 pm  #132

I love this one Davina. "dekuded firgiveness."  nice.  He's so optimstic, isn't he?

July 4, 2012 5:16 pm  #133

I took my inspiration from that Christmas scene where he says he is back with his wife and Sherlock tells him she is having an affair with a PE teacher. Poor Lestrade's face is a picture and then he goes and checks his phone. Aww! 

Later, in Hounds of the Baskerville he is no longer wearing a wedding ring and you can see the mark of where it used to be on his finger. Aww! 

Thanks for your kind comments.

July 4, 2012 11:18 pm  #134

Davina: That was quite sad, actually.  And I did feel bad for Lestrade when Sherlock told him about his wife.  He's a decent man and deserves better!  I like the alliteration and the rhyming in your poem.

I still have to write one for him but it's probably going to take me a little longer before I get to it.

July 8, 2012 5:23 am  #135

Okay, I've finally written something:

Little by little
Embarrassed but needy,
Sherlock
Tantalizes him,
Rescues him, but is an
Annoyingly asocial, aggravatingly asexual
Detective who has
Entwined himself in his division.

Not gonna say anything about it until after people (hopefully) comment.

July 8, 2012 3:01 pm  #136

Ooo I like that A LOT!

July 12, 2012 10:10 am  #137

Let's have a go at one of the more minor characters. (I wish our m0r would reappear from virtual exile!)

Let us try Sally Donovan. You can  use just her surname if you want.

July 14, 2012 5:57 am  #138

Surly Girl
Annoyed by the Boy
Lestrade nods
Let's him best her
Yet wait. It's fate...

Details of crime scenes
Overlooked by pros.
Never by Sherlock.
Oh, it drives her nuts
Verging on annoyed.
Amateur! Her work!
Nothing she can do. Or is there?

July 17, 2012 5:54 pm  #139

This is really, really good. I love the hidden references. It conveys her personality and the dynamic between her, Sherlock and Lestrade. Goodness! Best I get my thinking cap on now I am back on-line.

July 17, 2012 9:37 pm  #140

Suspicions are there
Always niggling away
Lying in wait.
Longing for my
Younger aspirations.

Don't underestimate
Ordinary people.
Never ignore me.
Open hostility is
Very dangerous.
Anderson understands me
Now comes our revenge.

Board footera