BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 3:51 pm  #101

Re: Sherlock acrostic

jenosborn: Lovely!  I can see Mrs H saying all of them.  The structure of your poem is like an inverted diamante: very clever.

P.S.  For the longest time, I read your name as jenos born and couldn't for the life of me figure out what that might mean!  Apparently, I didn't see the forest for the trees and, like Sherlock, preferred to make something more complicated than it really was.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 21, 2012 6:42 pm  #102

Sherli, so nice of you!  thanks.   Though I think of it as having more a shape than a structure..
"inverted diamante" - I love it.     and yes sorry I realize that my name is misleading.  You can call me jen!

"Any chance that's my real name?" …  "Uh, no not really."   

June 21, 2012 8:39 pm  #103

thanks, m0r!   I thought also that's where this would sit also,  after ASIB.

and Davina,  thanks for noticing the shape, I did like that.   Though I was mostly playing with the 5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5 word structure..
Am very much looking forward to yours,   to outdo us all I'm sure,  with your talent.   

June 21, 2012 9:03 pm  #104

Very kind. Haven't done it yet...I confess. It will probably emerge sometime towards the end of the week.

I am also glad that someone else has been reading Jen's name as jenos born, I keep doing it and then have to do this mental 'flip' thing to think of it as jen osborn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 23, 2012 1:40 am  #105

Here's another:

Mostly a landlord, not a housekeeper, but
Rather put out by the mess,
She tidies up anyway when the boys are out detecting,
Hoping to encourage better personal habits.
Unfortunately, the experiments in the fridge
Don’t make it any easier
So she throws up her hands
Often and repeatedly tells the boys
Not to expect any more housekeeping from her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2012 12:27 pm  #106

That just sums her up. She does despair of the boys really.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 25, 2012 3:18 am  #107

Very nice Sherli!

Difficult for me to read just now, but certainly worth it!

I particularly enjoyed the iambic changes which sought to show Mrs. Hudon's shifting mood.

I hope.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 25, 2012 12:44 pm  #108

Oh gosh. Realised I was running out of time this week, so I have pulled my finger out and written this. It is a bit of a funny mix of a poem. The first section is inspired, a bit, by The Walrus and the Carpenter, at least the syllable count and the rhyme scheme is. The final three lines are utterly different.

" My wall! Just look!" the landlady said.
" Rent has to go right up."
" Sherlock will be the death of me."
" He's such a cheeky pup!"
" Up to all hours and all that shooting!"
" Dear John will need a cup."

Soon things will change for us...forever.
One of us so stricken.
Never dear...believe in...forever.

Last edited by Davina (June 26, 2012 6:25 am)

June 25, 2012 7:16 pm  #109

Hmmm...It's very nice Davina however I've a quick question; Did you purposefully leave one set of quotes open?
My brain is always drawn to the glitches in things and it glares at me, distractingly so.

Apart from whether that was intentional or not it's a very nice poem!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 25, 2012 8:34 pm  #110

I was going to make a silent edit and cheat and pretend that I had never...just forgot to put the first inverted commas in. Or I could have just plain lied and said it was completely intentional.

June 25, 2012 11:06 pm  #111

m0r: Thank you for making the effort to respond to my contribution.  I always look forward to your thoughts.  But, um,  no, the iambic changes were entirely intentional.  I should just lie but that would be...lying.     I really hope you get your computer issues solved--it would be a real shame if you decided not to participate here because of them.  You would definitely be missed!

Davina:  Love the sentiments expressed.  You're right--the verses are very different from each other, but they both describe the relationships very well.

June 26, 2012 6:27 am  #112

I've edited mine again but when I proof read it, finally (I really, really should remember to do this straight away) I realised the bold wasn't working on the initial letter for some reason.

Has anyone spotted what the last verse spells out?

June 26, 2012 11:32 am  #113

Another week has zoomed by and it is time to post another character as the basis for this week's acrostic. Hmm...who to choose?

Lte us try...

Lestrade.

You can add his first name 'Greg' if you want or maybe DI for his police rank. It is up to you.

No rush!

June 27, 2012 12:36 am  #114

Davina wrote:

Has anyone spotted what the last verse spells out?

Hmm...the last three words backwards spell fib.  Is that what you mean?

And while you're asking, I shall ask: Way back in Post 84--my Mycroft acrostic--there was something interesting about the last line in that poem.  Nobody mentioned it...    
If you want to take another look and figure it out, here it is again: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=695&p=6

June 27, 2012 5:26 am  #115

awesome, Sherli!  Mycroft spelled backwards.  love it!   
and Davina,  brilliant   as usual.

onward,  Lestrade!

June 27, 2012 12:02 pm  #116

No Sherli...that's not the answer. You look but you do not observe! Lol
Thanks Jen!

June 27, 2012 11:22 pm  #117

Davina wrote:

You look but you do not observe!

Or...I observed something you missed!   Or didn't intend to leave... 

Thanks, jenosborn; I'm glad someone--you--got it!

June 28, 2012 6:00 am  #118

You did observe...it is true...but not he intended 'victim' as it were.

Have you got it yet?

June 28, 2012 5:31 pm  #119

Davina wrote:

Have you got it yet?

No.     I periodically go back and try to figure out what you intended.  So much for being a cipher expert!

July 1, 2012 8:52 am  #120

While we are busy trying to figure out Davina's last verse,   here's some Lestrade.   playing with syllable counts again...

Listens to internal
Expertise at a crime
Scene.  But it's just no use.
Tries again and again
Relying on his own
Agents Anderson and
Donovan.  It's no use.
Even they know he's better.

Last edited by jenosborn (July 2, 2012 1:19 am)

Board footera