BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 10:05 pm  #81

Re: Sherlock acrostic

Thank you, m0r!

Here's my next one:

Monstrous, mysterious
Oratorical, original
Remotely,  rapaciously
Inaccessible, inimitable
Arbitrary, adversary
Relentless, ruthless
Transformative, transgressive
Yelling, yearning

Even with Internet help, it's hard to find good words for the letter Y that I haven't used before.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 16, 2012 10:15 pm  #82

It's still good with the repetition of 'Yearning'  Sherli - don't be afraid to stick to a style and use it as best you can.

I'm seriously impressed with how well you convey the characters and the range of words you use.

You should be proud!!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 16, 2012 10:26 pm  #83

Thank you again, m0r!  I truly appreciate all your very positive comments. (As well as those from other people, too.)

Online dictionaries and rhyming websites are SO helpful.   

I love to write and have published articles in education journals and books as well as two travel-oriented stories in a magazine and book.  If I could write full-time and, more importantly, earn a living at it, I would!  Unfortunately, that's highly unlikely so I'll content myself with writing fanfiction and poetry such as this, which also gives me lots of pleasure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 17, 2012 12:22 am  #84

I tried something a little different with this one; I'm sure you can figure it out:

My brother’s keeper...
You and I:
Conflicting viewpoints
Rarely restrain us
Or
Fail
To fully overwhelm; relatively confrontational yet ministering.

Okay, I'm all caught up; hooray!  (Of course, spending the entire day on this board makes that easy...)

Edit: Oh, dang--still need to do John; er, I mean write him.  I was looking at the list of prompts and he wasn't included.  But how could anyone forget dear John??? 

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 17, 2012 12:28 am)

June 17, 2012 12:38 am  #85

Now I am; phew, this was great fun!

Justly
Oppressive
Hopelessness
Never ends.
Will the
Acolyte ever
Transcend
Such
Onerous
Negative thoughts?

June 17, 2012 12:15 pm  #86

I really enjoyed all your acrostics Sherli. It's great to have another contributor and I'm chuffed that you are having fun with them.

Would anyone else like to come up with the next 'victim' for our poesey? Maybe post it on Tuesday? That way everyone has had a week to have a go at John...as it were.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 6:17 am  #87

This week's topic
For  our acrostic
I've had to think some
It's MRS. HUDSON.

If you're not sure if you are able
All bets are laid and on the table.
For those of you who think it's hard
Just pop along and play your card.

Thank you!
I'll post mine a bit later.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 4:55 pm  #88

Mutton, curried, for breakfast.
Replete the boys go about
Solving their little puzzles.

Housekeeper I am not,
Untidy rooms mean untidy minds.
Divorced by death from a horrible man,
So Sherlock and John get treated
Only by me and most certainly
Not by the neighbourly Mrs. Turner.

That's my lot for this week's one!

Fun as always.

-m0r

June 19, 2012 7:00 pm  #89

Well done indeed Mr. m0r1arty... Always good value for money. Hmm...mutton curry for breakfast... an...original idea. You've even managed to fit ACD's mental aberration in!

Lordy! How am I going to match this?

Hopefully...'I shall not disappoint you.'

June 19, 2012 9:11 pm  #90

Excellent characterization, m0r; really enjoyed it.  The first stanza was fun--very easy to visualize.  Loved these lines in the second stanza: Untidy rooms mean untidy minds.
Divorced by death from a horrible man,

I probably shouldn't read any contributions before coming up with my own, so as not to be influenced in any way, but I do so enjoy seeing what other people have created.   

June 20, 2012 12:12 am  #91

Thanks guys!

Is it just me or is the site starting to act 'sticky' and not be as responsive?

Looking forward to your renderings!

-m0r

June 20, 2012 3:00 am  #92

The board is kind of "jerky" for me but I put that down to the fact my Mac is almost five years old and I'm using a very outdated version of Firefox; I also think all the graphics slow things down quite a bit, too.

Anyway, here's my first contribution for this week's prompt.  Yes, I'll probably do more--gotta keep the brain from being bored, now that I'm on vacation!

Married for love;
Realized her mistake;
Sought out Sherlock.
His assistance priceless;
Unswerving loyalty;
Daring to intervene.
So much for friendship
Or
Nonsensical emotion.

I'd love to know what you all think I meant by this.   

June 20, 2012 5:28 am  #93

m0r , yes I think it is starting to be a bit sticky. Sometimes the pages won't load properly or I have to reclick to make things load. The moving images are working ok though. Sometimes the page partially loads but then kind of gets stuck. Is it all the new background etc?

Sherli, do you mean an interpretation of your poem?

I read it as meaning that Mrs. Hudson married for love but realised her husband was a bad person. She asked Sherlock to help have her husband removed (we know that he helped ensure that his death sentence in Florida was carried out) the unswerving loyalty in the middle of the poem I took to mean that Sherlock is completely loyal to her and that he would put this down to friendship but really it might be because he is emotionally attached to her but would regard this as rubbish if anyone asked him and that he might not even admit it to himself.

Anywhere near what you meant?

June 20, 2012 5:31 am  #94

I get the idea of a battered, or certainly mistreated, wife Sherli.

Sherlock was someone who could take her away from that, in whichever way he could, and Mrs. H is thankful for that be it in her way of actual gratitude or trying to understand the mechanisms by which Sherlock works.

Mrs Hudson perhaps airing towards Sherlock's 'sentimentless' approach over easy friendship.

I think I'll have to sort my computer out - it's like the 90's all over again when I type things out and have to wait to see how my natural typing has spelt the words. But only on this site...

Needs to say Sherli, a superb poem and I look forward to more of yours!

-m0r

June 20, 2012 5:55 am  #95

m0r, I so enjoyed yours,  capturing Mrs.H's point of view,  brilliant as usual!

And Sherli,  just terrific.  A few especially well-chosen words, expressing their dynamic so well.

I will try to come up with something…    These are fun.

June 20, 2012 7:36 am  #96

m0r mine is doing that some of the time but not all the time too. Got to find more time also to compose my poem.

June 21, 2012 2:11 am  #97

Davina: To answer your question: Yes.  I like your interpretation a lot.

m0r: Yup, yours works also.

jenosborn:  Thanks for your kind words.  Jump right in--that's what I did!

Thanks, everyone; you were all on target.  Basically, I was just trying to show the closeness between Mrs Hudson and Sherlock and that they care for each other a great deal.  There was one thing stylistically I was trying to do, and that was to indicate a separation between the lady's thoughts and the man's thoughts by putting a period after the "S" line (and then after the "N").  And, after I wrote the poem, I realized the final three lines could have two different meanings and that both were applicable.

Looking forward to reading all of yours!

June 21, 2012 4:12 am  #98

Okay I tried to have a bit of fun with this and  play with word counts, and her conversation-  The center 'Us!' is just one way of showing how Mrs. H can be placed squrely in the middle of an odd mini family.  She likes to look after the boys a bit,  though I do admire her self reliance.  The exclamations are a way of accenting her resiliant enthusiasm.
It's tough.   (I know,  I've got a hip...)

!
"My bins are fixed now,
  Right after it happened!
  So fast, boys!
  Heaven help
  Us!
  Don't worry
  Sherlock! If you
  Or John can't be
  Nearby, I'll do quite nicely!"

June 21, 2012 11:58 am  #99

I really like that. I like the visual shape the poem makes on the page too, although that may have been unintentional.

June 21, 2012 3:37 pm  #100

More excellent submissions from our great membership!

Lovely work jenosborn, Sits perfectly near the end of 'A Scandal in Belgravia'

-m0r

Board footera