BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2012 7:49 pm  #61

Re: Sherlock acrostic

So much for not humiliating myself, what on earth is a blank verse?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 8, 2012 8:45 pm  #62

It means, like our ones we've done that, you don't have to worry about rhyming anything. Just have fun with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 9, 2012 4:58 am  #63

Okay friends.  I'll try.   Note Mycroft and I are in a 2-syllable conversation today.

Myself.
Yearning?
Chilly.
Really?
Omni-
Forceful!
Trickster?

June 9, 2012 1:11 pm  #64

I like that a lot, especially the use of the ?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 9, 2012 2:01 pm  #65

Nice one jenosborn!!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 9, 2012 6:40 pm  #66

Thanks, m0r and Davina!   Yours have been truly brilliant.   I was just trying to have a bit of fun.  I love these. 

June 11, 2012 9:11 pm  #67

Any more want to have a go? So far we have had:

SHERLOCK
MOLLY HOOPER
MORIARTY
MYCROFT

If you look back you will get the idea. Just have a go! Challenge yourself.

I will post a new name tomorrow, although the field of choice is becoming a little narrower every time.

You can have a go at any of the ones we have already done if you want.

Last edited by Davina (June 12, 2012 11:18 am)

June 12, 2012 5:35 pm  #68

This week's acrostic will be...

JOHN WATSON

Do what you will!

June 12, 2012 6:55 pm  #69

Bit rushed this one;

Just
Out.
Honourably discharged!
No Duff.

Healer said in the combat zone,
Arena's dead when you're on your own.
Mission is our foremost duty,
In your bed, you dream of booty.
Shoulder shot. Soldier down,
Healer best keep out the ground.

Wondering around this empty city,
Accidentally bumped into Stamford,
Told him how life's been not-so-pretty,
Said he knew of a place to board.
Off now, to see.
Now I'm off to see.

Still fun for me though!

-m0r

June 12, 2012 8:18 pm  #70

HAMISH! There's always something!

Still so much fun 

Will work on mine tomorrow. Promise!

June 13, 2012 7:28 pm  #71

Oh gosh! This has been a bit of a trial, probably because I keep trying to make it hard for myself. Now this time I have tried to use a rhyme scheme and also an eight syllable count per line.

I wanted to tell a bit of John's story in this one, because I think that is so intrinsic to his character and its development in A Study in Pink.

I hope you enjoy it.

Just returned from the Afghan war
Only looking like a man lost.
Harrowing dreams push through the door
Nightmare flashbacks counting the cost.

Horror replaced by civvy streets
Alone pacing the garden path.
Mind a thousand miles...when he meets
Intent avoids talk of bloodbath.
Soldiers on with defensive talk
Hesitant limp...hospital walk.

Wonders staring, figure so...strange!
Attention grabbed...riding crop...weird!
Tells of a nice place...then...arrange!
Stunned doctor, brother, limp...as feared!
One last shot...Sherlock is the name!
Now life will...never...be the same!

June 13, 2012 11:51 pm  #72

I saw the topic and decided to jump in as I now understand that it's not just one person for each name.  So I wrote something and then went back to read all the others.  Now I'm not so keen on posting mine...  But, well, anyway, here it is.  Hope you like it.

Just being myself, the older man said.
Obviously, replied his friend.
Hounding people won’t improve matters, the blond chided him.
Nothing would, retorted the taller man.

Where are you going?
Anywhere the level of intelligence is higher.
Thanks.
Silly little brains bore me.
Obviously.
Now who’s talking?

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 13, 2012 11:52 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 14, 2012 2:13 am  #73

Now I'm starting at the beginning.  I think this one is better:

Soothing sounds of a Stradivarius
Haunted, heedless, holistic
Everlasting enemies everywhere
Risky, relentless, rational
Looking at life lopsided
Obsessed, olfactory, offensive
Confounding confused coppers
Kempt, kinesthetic, keen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 14, 2012 5:57 am  #74

Nice one Sherli. Good use of alliteration in the Sherlock one, captures his essence.

June 14, 2012 2:06 pm  #75

That was truly remarkable Davina, I can't imagine how much work that took to piece together.

Sherli - I was very impressed with both poems. My particular favourite was the use of the word olfactory *sniff*!

-m0r

June 14, 2012 6:06 pm  #76

Thanks. I hope everyone enjoys it too. It did take a while, just an hour, or two. We have certainly had a range of offerings so far. I am now waiting with baited breath...going a bit red in the face...for another contribution...anyone?

June 14, 2012 11:15 pm  #77

Thank you, Davina and m0r1arty.  I made good use of my computer's dictionary for the Sherlock acrostic--it was hard to find adjectives for some letters, and "O" was definitely one of those.

June 14, 2012 11:32 pm  #78

Catching up...

Morgues
Only
Let
Lonely
Yearnings
Happen,
Obfuscating
Other
Periodic,
Eccentric
Romances.

June 15, 2012 5:34 am  #79

Like it...obfuscating...fascinating.

June 15, 2012 5:37 pm  #80

Very impressive Sherli!

We need more wordsmith's to play with us.

-m0r

Board footera