BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2012 2:45 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock acrostic

m0r1arty wrote:

Not sure if copying from a dictionary for words I don't know is diligent Irene, but thanks all the same 

Come on everyone - it's fun to try and bend language to your will, any language will do!

-m0r

Oh, I was thinking of doing one in Latin, but it would have been copying from the dictionary too... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 29, 2012 6:00 pm  #42

It's pretty bad and I have probably got all the tenses wrong, it'll probably not make much sense but, hey...

la
Mechancete est coule dans ses veines, il a une
Obsession avec le mal.
Rien ne peut arreter ses plans mauvais. Il
Intoxiques les cerveaux de les peuple, l'
Amour n'est pas un sentiment pour lui. Il
Raconte les contes sur les chavaliers pour les enfants, mais ils ne savent pas qui il est vraiment. Sa
Tete est pleine de pensees vicieuses, et il a les
Yeux de glace...

I hope it's not too awful!!
Please feel free to correct me when needed, KS3 French is my limit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 29, 2012 6:44 pm  #43

Nicely done Molly!

For KS3 that sure was impressive, loved your aligning French terms with his name - keep it up!

We're all practising here and I've A's running into A's and misgendered indefinites in mine, just act like its the bomb and keep trying

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 29, 2012 6:52 pm  #44

Well I can understand what you mean but my French is not accurate enough to be able to correct it. Milkomeda will be able to though. Like the Spanish version m0r though I confess much use of an on-line dictionary as my Spanish is not very good. Irene, I like yours too, very much.

Having said any language will do, I've gone and written one in my mother tongue (English) but I may have another go in German later. I have given myself the task however of alternating lines of 8 and 6 syllables.

Malevolence seeps from within
Oscillates lizard-like
Reeking stench of vengeful scheming
Innocents devoured.
Arachne's son he spins and weaves
Tapestry threads of fear
Yew are bound into his problem.

Hope you like.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 7:09 pm  #45

Brilliant, Davina!
I must confess to using a dictionary, both for writing mine, and reading yours!! 
My English is only slightly more advanced than my French and my vocabulary is extremely limited! That is why I find it safer to post poems in another language, at least I've got an excuse!! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

May 29, 2012 7:16 pm  #46

I am super impressed with that one Davina, the syllable count matches the oscillation and the Arache, threads and Yew elements ring with antiquity.

Great job!

-m0r

May 29, 2012 8:00 pm  #47

I wanted to include Arachne because of the link to spiders, weaving and webs. I used 'Yew' rather than 'You' deliberately. Partly because when said they sound exactly the same but also because of the Yews connection to death and its toxic nature. I'm glad you spotted the oscillation from the varying syllable count, I think it works well. I've tried to use words that are slightly repellant and are also onomatopoeic with some alliteration thrown in for good measure. Basically I have tried to capture the essence of the evil that is Moriarty (present company excepted  ).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 8:38 pm  #48

Hey, Davina. You've out-posted the Boss. Way to go!!!

May 30, 2012 5:23 am  #49

Fingers now hovering over the board trying to decide whether to post a reply...

June 6, 2012 2:25 pm  #50

This weeks acrostic.....let's try MYCROFTthis time. I'm going to have a think and make one up. New people, if you look through this thread you can see how these work. You can also have a go at the older acrostics too if you want. So far we've had SHERLOCK, MOLLY HOOPER and MORIARTY.

June 6, 2012 3:51 pm  #51

Median setter,
Yesteryear decrees.
Creative, aloof.
Rarely offbeat.
Original bro,
Fond of lavish grub.
Teller of tale tales.

I love doing these!!!!!!(Here's an extra one Kazza)!

-m0r

June 6, 2012 3:55 pm  #52

Brilliant! Lovely! I'm lost for words...

June 6, 2012 4:04 pm  #53

Thank you very much Molly! 

-m0r

June 6, 2012 6:01 pm  #54

That's brilliant!!!!! I love the R&B nod bro'! Like the 5 syllable count, it is reminiscent of his walk, organisation and conformity. I'm going to spend some time working on mine tomorrow. Yet again you have set the bar really high! (and a devilish !!)

June 7, 2012 2:38 am  #55

Looking forward to it Davina!

-m0r

June 7, 2012 1:37 pm  #56

Here we are then. I have also stuck to a 5 syllable pattern, why not?

The Ice-man Cometh

Man chiselled from ice
Yet he is obscure.
Cold and crystalline
Responses stay cool.
One of the slick men
Frozen, yet melting
Thawing, the Ice-man.

June 7, 2012 1:43 pm  #57

Very sharp Davina! Love the thematic presence in each line, it shows his strengths and weaknesses equally.

Come on folk give it a bash - or do one of the previous ones.

-m0r

June 7, 2012 3:38 pm  #58

Oh God...how can I ever hope to follow such amazing efforts?!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2012 3:39 pm  #59

There's no way I'm humiliating myself!!

June 7, 2012 4:53 pm  #60

Just have a go! It's just for fun. You can do blank verse and you don't have to worry about syllables and such like. Just go for it!

Board footera