BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2012 7:20 pm  #1

Sherlock acrostic

Ok. I was thinking about us doing a Sherlock acrostic. A bit like the one Molly Hooper has done in the General discussion thread but to do with Sherlock the series or Sherlock Holmes in general.

Perhaps this time people can have a go at writing the whole acrostic and then posting it here.

For anyone who is not sure what an acrostic is, it is where you take each letter of the word and write a line starting with that letter. It can be done as a form of poetry but doesn't have to be.

Here's an example by Edgar Allan Poe entitled 'An Acrostic'
Elizabeth it is in vain you say
"Love not"- thou sayest it in so sweet a way:
In vain those words from thee or L.E.L.
Zantippe's talents had enforced so well:
Ah! If that language from the heart arise,
Breath it less gently forth-and veil thine eyes
Endymion, recollect, when Luna tried
To cure his love-was cured of all beside-
His follie-pride-and passion-for he died.

Shall we start with SHERLOCK as our first word?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 15, 2012 7:39 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock acrostic

Does it have to rhyme?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 15, 2012 7:57 pm  #3

I'll give it a go, makes for two people doing it at once though a touch more difficult than thinking up another letter of the alphabet!

Senses unbound, the beast lies wheezing its last 
Heroic freedoms, alone - true. Finally! 
Exclamation of silence, living science,
Reason is isolated, cold truths burn fast.
Love beyond reach, forever gone. Clarity.
Oh! Universe I am sorry, I do seek
Camaraderie! Another soul to, to, to
Keep me grounded in splendid humanity.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 15, 2012 8:07 pm  #4

Beautiful, m0r!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 15, 2012 8:13 pm  #5

Cheers tobeornot!

I think a round of Sherlock's from all would suffice for now - Perhaps we could do it character by character as a sort of progression over the next few weeks(?)

-m0r

May 15, 2012 8:46 pm  #6

That's going to be a hard act to follow m0r!

So this is SHERLOCK week.

No it doesn't have to rhyme Molly (how weird does it feel writing that! In joke!)

Glad you like the idea folks.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 15, 2012 9:58 pm  #7

The great thing about poetry is that there is no right or wrong way to do it. Comedy, pathos, angst, cheer - it all works!

Looking forward to your contributions everyone!

-m0r

May 15, 2012 10:20 pm  #8

This is going to be a bit too difficult for me, but I will give it a try... I guess. 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 16, 2012 12:02 am  #9

Wow, that was nice.   I certainly can't outdo m0r,   but I'll give this a simple try:

Sentiment.
How very dangerous when it obscures
Even the most basic facts
Right there in front of you.
Looking, not seeing.
Observing, not looking.
Can you tell the difference?
Keep it inside.

May 16, 2012 12:14 am  #10

Bravo jenosborn!

Very 'A Scandal In Belgravia' to my mind - very enjoyable!

-m0r

May 16, 2012 2:25 am  #11

thank you m0r1arty!    That episode was my inspiration.  Fun! 

May 16, 2012 6:12 am  #12

Good one jenosborn! Glad you had fun!

May 16, 2012 2:08 pm  #13

The Fall

Standing shaking, near the edge, looking down
Hand-in-hand, near the edge, looking down
Evil threats, near the edge, looking down
Reaching outward, near the edge, looking down
Linking lifetimes, near the edge, looking down
Only one now, near the edge, looking down
Calling, weeping, near the edge, looking down
Kick away, over the edge, looking down.

I hope you like it.

May 16, 2012 2:21 pm  #14

I like that very much Davina!

Ominous as hell and harrowing yet suitably apt for the scene in question.

Well done indeedy!

-m0r

May 16, 2012 3:44 pm  #15

So moving, Davina!
(I could never do such a thing. Sadly, my brain is trapped in a body that was raised in the wrong language... )
But I'm enjoying your acrostics very much!

Last edited by tobeornot221b (May 16, 2012 3:45 pm)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 16, 2012 5:55 pm  #16

Please feel free to write one in German. Follow in the footsteps of Goethe and Schiller! The trouble with German sentences is that you often have to wait until the end to find out what is happening! Lol

May 16, 2012 6:29 pm  #17

Davina wrote:

The trouble with German sentences is that you often have to wait until the end to find out what is happening! Lol

Yes, as if "the fandom that waited" wouldn't be enough! 
We share this fate with the ancient Latin speakers. And they did die out, didn't they?

Sherlock in German doesn't feel right – believe me! I even can't stand to read the German announcements and summaries (including lots of spoilers!! ) in our today's newspapers on tomorrow's airing of Scandal. Everything sounds a bit … shallow, ridiculous and completely unfamiliar – like a (bad) comic version. So would an acrostic – especially one by me…

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 16, 2012 6:34 pm  #18

Go for it, it's purely for kicks and giggles - we're not being graded on it!

For my next one I'll go comical and goofy. Just something to stem the boredom really!

-m0r

May 16, 2012 9:33 pm  #19

Comical and goofy! I wait in anticipa....tion!

May 16, 2012 11:27 pm  #20

Davina, loved yours!  a beautiful depiction of the weightlessness of the fall, and the agitated imbalance leading up to it.

And tobe,  I am also looking forward to a German acrostic if you are so inclined

Er….wartung!     what are we here for if not for kicks and giggles.

Board footera