BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2016 11:54 pm  #1

This detail is bugging me...

I am sorry if this has already been discussed, I could not find any discussion of it anywhere and it has been bugging me for months!

In TAB, why does Molly suddenly have red hair?

I recall that one of the earliest photos Gatiss tweeted from the sets was of the shop window of "Jabez Wilson, Pawnbroker" which got everyone talking about "The Red-Headed League." But then I never saw anyone mention anything about the redheads in TAB--Lady Carmichael and Molly Hooper--or the fact that in Season 3, the boy who plays Sherlock as a child seems also to have red hair. No one with red hair ends up with black hair as an adult, so it seems to suggest that the red hair is a link between characters that happens in Sherlock's mind palace. To which must be added, of course, the name "Redbeard".

I am sure this must be deliberate, but can't work out a connection between Lady Carmichael, Molly, and Sherlock, much less a dog... Except I did note that Lady Carmichael has two children, a son and daughter named William and Sophie. I don't know if it matters that "William" is supposedly Sherlock's first name. But then "Sophie" seems random.

Has anyone else pondered this one?

April 1, 2016 1:24 am  #2

Re: This detail is bugging me...

I don't recall her hair colour changing in The Abominable Bride, and I am also pretty sure that Louis Moffat as child Sherlock does not have red hair either.  So I'm not totally sure what you're getting at here. 

Clueing for looks.

April 1, 2016 9:01 am  #3

It could be a fault of my screen, and how I'm reading the color from it--except that it looks the same on both my iPad and television, and in last season my supervisor who is also a fan said he wondered why the child who played Sherlock seemed in some scenes to be a redhead, he thought that was an oversight...

I agree that I don't know that the actor has red hair necessarily, because in some scenes it seems more light brown. But in others it reads much more red, and after watching TAB it seemed possible it was deliberate.

I haven't figured out how others get screenshots but if I can find the images I will post them.

April 1, 2016 9:09 am  #4

Maybe it is lighting.
I think Louis is quite dark, but not sure...
Dunno if they dyed his hair for the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 1, 2016 9:35 am  #5

I never saw anything red in Louis hair, it seemed dark brown to me. 

Last edited by Vhanja (April 1, 2016 9:38 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 1, 2016 11:11 am  #6

Vhanja wrote:

I never saw anything red in Louis hair, it seemed dark brown to me. 

Thanks for the images, Vhanja. The second image is one that seems reddish to me, warmer than a pure brown. Auburn maybe. If I were to choose a paint color I'd definitely tone it with a translucent red oxide. But it's dark lighting, and the brown is there, too. The first image is tricky because it's such weird lighting, I think it would distort any color because of the blue tones in the light.

Regardless of whether or not Louis's hair is part of the equation, Molly's red hair (or the appearance of it) in TAB stood out to me like the red dress in "Schindler's List". Again, it could be down to lighting, but I do think it might be deliberate.

Obviously, one knows from prior observation that "Molly's" hair is not *actually* red, but as an artist and scientist I always try to work with what I see, and to ask questions when what I see doesn't add up to what I know. And from my own experience, I can suggest that disparities are often deliberate and meaningful. Hence, this thread. But maybe I just need to have my vision checked...

Haven't had a chance to read up on how to add images in a post. Will get there soon.

April 1, 2016 11:19 am  #7

Archaeologist wrote:

Haven't had a chance to read up on how to add images in a post. Will get there soon.

Al this is described in the Suggestions, Questions & Technical Help Chapter 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 1, 2016 11:32 am  #8

I think his hair looks brown in both pics, in the second one I think it's the lighting that makes it look auburn in the darkest parts. 

Molly's hair in TAB is trickier, it does seem to have a hint of red in it, but I'm not sure if that has any other meaning to it than pure esthetics. (Perhaps since she is only shown in scenes with little light a brighter colour would seem better than her "mouse brown" in modern day Sherlock? Dunno, just guessing).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 1, 2016 11:35 am  #9

A bit OT but there is one funny thing about red hair in the show - if Mycroft had a beard, he would be Redbeard. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 1, 2016 1:31 pm  #10

lol Susi!

Also, the only thing I can think of as to why Molly's hair would look like a different colour in at least part of The Abominable Bride is because she's wearing a wig as "Dr. Hooper."

Clueing for looks.

Board footera