BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2016 12:11 pm  #1301

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

Some heavy back-pedalling from AA now:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 12, 2016 12:22 pm  #1302

It's difficult to take back words once they are out there...

But anyway... I always enjoy Arwel's tweets! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 12, 2016 12:26 pm  #1303

tonnaree wrote:

I agree that AA over reacted in the extreme and her comments were way out of line.

I also find it ironic that she once told us that Martin is "not allowed" on social media because of his temper.

Now, bring on more SETLOCK!

ha, that's hilarious. If Martin is the one with the temper I wonder what he would have tweeted.

nakahara wrote:

Some heavy back-pedalling from AA now:

It gets a bit embarrassing now.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 12, 2016 12:43 pm  #1304

I missed this drama, so had to resort to Tumblr to find out what she had written (as the original tweets were deleted).

I don't really have too strong opinions on this. In a way I can understand her. I get the feeling (and might be completely wrong) that she is the kind of person who posts in the heat of the moment. Many people are, the trouble begins when you are a celeb. One the one had, we like it when celebs are "like us" and accessible on social media, on the other hand we don't like it when they become too much like us...I can imagine that must be a very, very hard balance to sort out, and a very tight rope to walk. I'm glad I'm not in her - or any other celeb's - shoes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 12:59 pm  #1305

Well I think the problem is using a word like arsehole for people who watch the show and because they do she has a job! There are many weird fans out there who are extremely obsessed and should give it a rest , but she started it by using a photo that obviously wasn't safe enough to post and then was angry that people noticed things. So she alone created the drama.
And honestly at this point it doesn't matter for me if she is part of Sherlock or just a unknown fan. Rude is rude.

Last edited by Ivy (May 12, 2016 1:01 pm)

----------

May 12, 2016 1:07 pm  #1306

I do see what you mean. And can understand with your opinion, which I can imagine you share with the majority. I don't think calling anyone an arsehole is a good thing, especially not for something as predictable as this.

However, in general (and I'm not just talking about Amanda nor the Sherlock fandom here), people are free to write whatever they want about celebrites on social medias and on discussion board. And a lot of it is not nice. So, in general, whenever a celeb acts like we do, like a human being, I don't really get too fussed about it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 1:20 pm  #1307

Oh I think everyone know she's a human being like us, she proved that a lot in the last month/years on twitter.
I also get your point.

I don't have a problem when people snap on twitter, pressing the send button is easy and fast. But that wasn't her first time and everytime she backpedals and says she is sorry and overreacted. And when you see her tweets she rants a lot about everything, therefore I unfollowed her a while ago. I don't have everything against her and she's allowed to rant, I just don't want to see it.

----------

May 12, 2016 1:28 pm  #1308

I don't know her history as I am not active on Twitter. I have an account, but more or less never use it. I just in general feel a bit sorry for celebs as it seems we (a collective, general "we") demand perfection of them. They should always be polite and smiling, always give the right answers, they can never have a bad day - but neither should they come across as artifcial or robotic. At the same time, they have to endure obsessive fans, rude fans, not-diplomatic critcism from people who don't like them to horrible slurs from hateres without batting an eyelid.

Yet they should also be accesible on social media. They should be "like us", up and personal, down-to-earth - yet never write anything that could be the least offensive to anyone. We expect a standard that is simply impossible. So, yes, it was rude and she probably shouldn't have written it. No, personally, I am not too fussed about it and understand where she is coming from. 

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 1:54 pm  #1309

Well, there a rude fans and bad days - and then there is calling fans assholes. A little extreme, if you ask me.
And no, I don't expect anybody to be accessible through social media. The people I'm a fan of aren't doing social media at all. And neither am I expecting celebs to always be in a sunny mood - Benedict wasn't when I waited for him at the stage door in September, but I would never hold that against him.
There is something in between being in a great mood and accessible all the time on the one side and insulting fans on the other side. And finding that balance is part of Amanda's job now.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 12, 2016 2:01 pm  #1310

I agree Solar, I never expect people to be all perfect and smiles all the time for fans... but really, I tend to lose respect when people go rude. 

I dropped out of a fandom because of that (that, and drama among fans before that)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 12, 2016 2:04 pm  #1311

Coming back to setlock for a moment  - it seems there will be something Canadian next episode:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/144248220946/xistentialangst-constancecream

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2016 2:05 pm  #1312

That balance is impossible. Because you would never be able to find a balance that would be right for everyone.

Edit: Oooh, Canada. Why would that be? Maybe just for cheaper filming, though? (As in Cardiff being stand-in for London?)

Last edited by Vhanja (May 12, 2016 2:06 pm)

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 2:06 pm  #1313

I would be happy if there were less celebrities on twitter, instagram and so on. Keeps the magic alive.
Ben does it right.

Of course you are right, Vhanja I totally agree with "putting people on pedestals."

Another point could be that she also represents herself as an actress with her account and there might be important people in the business who think less of her when reading something like that. You know it's like when staff manager google an applicant to see if there is something negative to find. I don't mean having opinions and voicing them, every should famous or not. But it's all a matter of word choices.

I hope there's more setlock (from bystanders ) soon. We are heavy off topic.

Last edited by Ivy (May 12, 2016 2:07 pm)

----------

May 12, 2016 2:15 pm  #1314

I think it is fine to discuss such things as long as they are connected to setlock. And this was the case. But I really hope that from now on we get things that are more fun to discuss. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2016 2:17 pm  #1315

Vhanja wrote:

That balance is impossible. Because you would never be able to find a balance that would be right for everyone.

Of course it should be a balance that first and foremost is good for you and let's you sleep tight and peacefully at night. If that means that you don't do twitter anymore, then so be it. Maybe Amanda sleeps tight with calling fans assholes, who knows.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 12, 2016 2:29 pm  #1316

I could sleep tight calling someone an arsehole, if it felt right to me. I don't judge others that I don't know on  a background I don't know. Life's too short.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 2:33 pm  #1317

Lovely Canadian places, that would be cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

May 12, 2016 2:42 pm  #1318

Vhanja wrote:

I could sleep tight calling someone an arsehole, if it felt right to me. I don't judge others that I don't know on  a background I don't know. Life's too short.

Who's judging? We're all just voicing opinions.

May 12, 2016 2:44 pm  #1319

Then we more or less agree. 

And can return to what's much more interesting - Setlock! 

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 2:44 pm  #1320

Ok.  Now, why would we be in Canada?  Although someone has already suggested that Niagra Falls is a popular honeymoon destination.  *giggle*

And, do we think it will be Canada or will they just be using locations to stand in for other places?

Ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera