BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2016 11:26 pm  #201

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

It was just the best geek/fan moment. Hubby and I was staying at a hotel near the British Museum (and, as I later learn, near Reagent's Park and John's old flat). I want to visit 221, so we take the tube. Just so happens it's the Jubilee line over to Baker Street. We get off at the Baker Street station and walk over to the Sherlock Holmes museum.

So when I later see in the series that John talk about "handy for the Jubilee line..", and I actually KNOW what he is talking about. Geek moment extraordinare. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 11:30 pm  #202

Nice adventure. 

And now I wonder if Louise lives somewhere in the vicinity too, if she´s "nearly at home" by this station. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 8, 2016 11:32 pm  #203

Ahem, sorry, I guess that was just as off-topic... 

Perhaps she stays at a hotel nearby for the period of filming?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2016 7:44 am  #204

I was at that very station on Monday. 
It's one of the older tube lines I think and I'm just trying to remember how far it stretches out...some of them go right out into the environs of London.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 9, 2016 7:49 am  #205

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 9, 2016 9:55 am  #206

Vhanja wrote:

I have faith in Moftiss and their plans for the show. 

Seconded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 9, 2016 10:05 am  #207

Thirded!
But the point is it is their show and we either accept it or write our own darn show!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 9, 2016 10:19 am  #208

I really love that argument because it basically means there is nothing to discuss. We love the show and shut up about everything we don't like.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 9, 2016 10:25 am  #209

There are tons of things to discuss. And tons of different ways to discuss them. Some are more fruitful than others.

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2016 10:38 am  #210

I mentioned on the original TAB thread I think: for me, there has to come the point of critical mass.
As long as you still like the show more than dislike it, it's worth watching.
I've been thinking about this more...say for arguments sake, we're going to get maybe 12 series over all.
If by about series 6, one still doesn't like the direction of the show...may just be about time to reconsider ones position.
But for the moment, we haven't really had that much to go on.
I could say more, but I really don't want to be confrontational(heck I don't like that myself.)
But to me it's just a matter of common sense: why would you spend time on something you are no longer enjoying?
I could see for example, Canon purists wanting to go on for example a Sherlock forum and argue against the show and I would happily take them on.
But the BBC have every right to make the show they want to and there are plenty of people who love it(warts and all) just as it is and if we don't like some stuff, we say so.
I don't think any of the Sherlock team are saints, but I respect their talent and their right to show their vision how they choose.
After all it's just a TV show and we either choose to watch it or not.
I wouldn't watch something I didn't enjoy, though of course it's sometimes interesting to see how things pan out.
But this is a fan site and again to me it's blindingly obvious that most people here are huge fans of the show and I personally wouldn't be surprised to find views very supportive of the show.
But I haven't encountered one member of this board who is uncritical. Rightly so, we should intelligently watch even a TV show.
Personally I do feel something different happens in the Sherlock fandom...but I really don't think I can say any more about that and hey, I've said more than I meant to and gone off topic again.

Last edited by besleybean (April 9, 2016 10:40 am)

April 9, 2016 10:38 am  #211

Oh, Solar, no dear.
I meant that I have faith in them, not that there's nothing to discuss. Like Vhanja said, there are tons of things to discuss.
I'm all for discussing thing - or rather other people discussing, because I know I would either consider it fighting or be extremely rude. And stupid. And useless. So keeping out of that. Or at least trying to, at the moment. - but maybe in another thread?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 9, 2016 10:48 am  #212

Lilythiell, don't worry, my answer wasn't directed at you.
In German we have the word "Totschlagargument" (my online dictionary translates it with "thought-terminating cliché"). And sentences like "We either accept it or write our own darn show!" are exactly that. It might not be what was intended by this sentence, but to me it basically reads as "Accept it or shut up". Same goes for suggesting a separate thread for disappointed fans, it's like saying "Of course you can be disappointed, but please don't bother everyone else with it". 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 9, 2016 10:57 am  #213

I hope you read my last, long post Solar. Any questions, please ask.
Though we can say the same in English. I wasn't tell anybody to shut up and go away, I was making a basic point- but I hope my longer post explained it more for you.
Plus, people on here have also requested separate threads to feel safe in their Johnlock and non-Johnlock positions.
I personally don't agree with the need for those, but I don't see it as any different to asking(nay 'suggesting') for a 'disappointed ' thread.

April 9, 2016 12:00 pm  #214

nakahara wrote:

Once again, the summary of yesterday´s Setlock:

http://thesetison.tumblr.com/post/142487323926/setlock-4816-we-got-confirmation-that

Thank you! I wasn't home yesterday and still am not so it's good to have these summaries

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 9, 2016 1:39 pm  #215

besleybean wrote:

But to me it's just a matter of common sense: why would you spend time on something you are no longer enjoying?

Hmm, in my case I don´t care much about Mary and hate the possible baby-plot, but I enjoy Benedict´s and Martin´s portayals of Sherlock and John, Doyle references, cinematography of Sherlock and the like... I post into threads dedicated to these things accordingly.

Suddenly, one of my posts that is negative is taken out of the mass and somebody extrapolates on it, thinking that I dislike the whole show...

It isn´t like that, obviously.

So why should anyone demand this "mental totality" (either total and unconditional dedication or total and unconditional hatred of things) is beyond me. That´s not how it works in real life, is it? We can hate aspects of things we love or love some aspects of things we generally don´t like.... this philosophy of "everything or nothing" is an alien concept for me...

Last edited by nakahara (April 9, 2016 1:40 pm)

April 9, 2016 1:39 pm  #216

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Once again, the summary of yesterday´s Setlock:

http://thesetison.tumblr.com/post/142487323926/setlock-4816-we-got-confirmation-that

Thank you! I wasn't home yesterday and still am not so it's good to have these summaries

With pleasure, Phantom. I enjoy it too. 

April 9, 2016 2:13 pm  #217

Oh my, oh my. The script for second episode finally emerged.

April 9, 2016 2:19 pm  #218

Do these people never rest?!

April 9, 2016 2:27 pm  #219

April 9, 2016 2:31 pm  #220

Woohoo.

Board footera