BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2016 12:12 am  #141

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Thank you, Schmiezi. I think these rules are absolutely sufficient.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 6, 2016 12:55 am  #142

Schmiezi wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

* Story content must be suitable for this forum (no higher than a Mature rating), therefore no explicit sex scenes or graphic descriptions of gore/violence. If you would like to write a more explicit version of your story, this can be posted on AO3 with warnings.

I think every story will be Safe to read, kgreen. :-)

Since a great many of the stories will be slash, I must regretfully beg to differ.

June 6, 2016 3:20 am  #143

kgreen20 wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

* Story content must be suitable for this forum (no higher than a Mature rating), therefore no explicit sex scenes or graphic descriptions of gore/violence. If you would like to write a more explicit version of your story, this can be posted on AO3 with warnings.

I think every story will be Safe to read, kgreen. :-)

Since a great many of the stories will be slash, I must regretfully beg to differ.

There will be no explicit sex scenes, hence no slash fics. Or what kind of fics would you call slash?

What did you do on Christmas, btw? The stories weren't tagged too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 7, 2016 1:20 am  #144

Slash and Johnlock are one and the same.  I will only read fanfiction stories in which Sherlock and John are portrayed as the friends and brothers-in-arms that they are, as they are portrayed in canon and on the BBC series.  Since the majority of the submitted stories will portray their relationship differently, I will have to refrain from reading most of the stories that are posted.  (I wish that was not going to be the case, because I would have enjoyed reading more of the stories otherwise!)

Last edited by kgreen20 (June 7, 2016 1:21 am)

June 7, 2016 3:50 am  #145

That is your decision then.

Personally, I am not fond of stories that portrait Mary as a nice person but here I will read them anyway out of respect for my fellow writers. That is the spirit of an exchange, IMO, to read fics you wouldn't normally read. I am looking forward to the huge variety of fics the other writers are so kind to share with us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 7, 2016 6:56 am  #146

I agree. I have not managed to always read every story but I have at least tried to do so or read part of it. IMO to principally exclude stories from reading that are in accordance with the rules we have all accepted is a bit against the idea of an exchange. During the last exchanges I got comments from people who usually do not read Johnlock and they made me happy just because of the fact that these people were open for something new within the frame of an exchange. 

I do not see how a non-explicit love story between two people - no matter their gender - could offend anyone's feelings. 

Ukaunz, sorry about this discussion but I think it is quite important to clear this up for future exchanges. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 7, 2016 7:21 am  #147

It´s sad to think that a sentence "Sherlock and John walked hand in hand through Regent´s Park" in an otherwise fully detective-centric story invalidates this fanfiction from reading for some... when the sentence "John and Mary walked hand in hand through Regent´s Park" wouldn´t even register.

There´s no accounting for taste, of course, still, I find it very sad.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 7, 2016 3:47 pm  #148

Listen I know this is nothing to do with me, as I am only a beta.
But surely people should be allowed to make their own decisions?
Whether that means things have to be tagged, or else it's up to individuals to chance their luck, is another matter.
But I don't know about the spirit of criticising others choices.
Is there any other criteria people have to meet other than submitting a fic?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2016 3:52 pm  #149

ukaunz wrote:

Commenting on all stories is strongly encouraged, as authors put a lot of time, effort and love into writing their stories!

Surely this is not compulsory. But with the last Christmas exchange we often had few comments which is quite disappointing for the writers. We do not write just for one recipient, else the fics would not have to posted in here. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 7, 2016 3:54 pm)

June 7, 2016 3:55 pm  #150

You are right, everybody is allowed to make their own desicion.

If you make the decision to take part in an exchange that allows Johnlock, you have to live with the fact that there will be some Johnlock fics.

And if you decide not to tag your fics you will have to live with the fact that maybe someone does not read it.

And if you decide not to read about half of the fics because they could include two guys loving each other, you have to live with the fact that other people don't understand your decision.

June 7, 2016 3:58 pm  #151

Fine, everybody makes their own choices.

While we're on the subject:  I am a non-Johnlocker who has no problem being a beta for Johnlock stories.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2016 4:00 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2016 4:01 pm  #152

Thank you, besley, this is good to know. 

June 7, 2016 4:03 pm  #153

besleybean wrote:

While we're on the subject:  I am a non-Johnlocker who has no problem being a beta for Johnlock stories.

That is great. Like I said before, don't like Mary but will read all pro-Mary fics anyway.

June 7, 2016 7:35 pm  #154

As I see it, it depends a bit on how strong the dislike is. I do see the point, and agree in general, that if you join, you ought to read and comment on the other fics. It's only polite. If you want people to comment on your stuff, you should do the same to others. It's a two-way street.

Having that said, I know that there are tags out there that I strongly dislike. Not talking about anything particularly sexual or gory. For instance, I really dislike Femlock, and would struggle to read it. That says nothing about the author of Femlock stories, it only says something about me. 

Then again, I have also started a thread on this forum about taking a challenge to read a tag you would ordinarily never read - and have come across absolutely amazing fics because of it. 

So I do see both sides of the coin here, so to speak.

Last edited by Vhanja (June 7, 2016 7:36 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 7, 2016 8:49 pm  #155

Same here, Vhanja. I understand both sides of the argument

kgreen, you can read as many of the stories as you want to, I understand why you might not want to read a ship you don't ship, but as a non-Johnlock-shipper myself I have to admit that there's a lot of good fanfiction out there that just happens to be Johnlock.

However many fics you end up reading during this exchange, I hope you have fun. And that goes for everyone else, too,

Clueing for looks.

June 8, 2016 12:42 am  #156

I have no problem with this discussion. Nothing that people submit to this exchange should be deemed offensive (since explicit sex and violence are not allowed) but everyone has their own tastes. I think people are free to choose what they read, but I also think people should challenge their own prejudices

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 8, 2016 4:26 am  #157

ukaunz wrote:

I think people are free to choose what they read, but I also think people should challenge their own prejudices

This!

June 8, 2016 6:41 am  #158

I personally don't see a free choice as a prejudice.
But that's maybe just me.
The nearest comparison I can think of is as a member of a book group I've sometimes had to read things I wouldn't normally have chosen.
It's never caused me any insurmountable problems, but I could certainly have happily lived without reading the offending pieces!

Last edited by besleybean (June 9, 2016 6:52 am)

June 8, 2016 4:51 pm  #159

Well, be that as it may...

When are the submitted stories going to be posted?  Will they all be posted on the same day, or will you post a story a day until they're all online?

June 8, 2016 7:59 pm  #160

I have a question for you ukaunz.  I know I sent an HTML for our exchange back in the winter, but when I test it out in the forum, I only get the correct formatting when  I copy and paste from my Word document and not the HTML file of that document.  Is it okay if I send you the Word document?

Clueing for looks.

Board footera