BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2016 10:00 am  #281

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Though you have also submitted a fic yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2016 10:05 am  #282

Sorry besley, not sure what you mean?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2016 10:21 am  #283

I did submit a fic and commented on all fics posted. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2016 10:24 am  #284

I apologise for my bad grammar causing confusion!
At the risk of repeating myself(again), I was alluding to my previous proposition that if people have submitted a fic, isn't that their part of the deal delivered? But anyway, that's for others to decide and possibly for the future.
But this was against the backdrop of: homophobia would be deemed unacceptable on this board(and some would say rightly so). So again I admit, I was concerned that an asexual position was not being given the fullest consideration it possibly warranted. But as I also said, maybe this isn't even necessary.

Last edited by besleybean (July 10, 2016 10:26 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2016 10:29 am  #285

I see what you mean. But an asexual position would mean not wishing to read fics with sexual content as such, right? And not to exclude same-sex relationships only. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2016 10:35 am  #286

As I referred to before, I don't know if I'm really qualified to answer that and maybe it doesn't matter for this forum.
But I was concerned that some of the discussion was dangerously close to making judgement on how others should think and feel...something I wasn't totally comfortable with.
I do think it seems one of those instances where clear rules beforehand, would at least go part the way to preventing any future issues. If I might attempt a reiteration:
It is all very well relying on courtesy and assuming everyone has the same expectations, but this may not necessarily deliver the hoped for results. 
I felt we were sharing some common ground in this area.

July 10, 2016 11:13 am  #287

I can see your point, besley. However, I'm just wondering what the reaction would be if someone said, for example, "I won't read any fics that have Asian characters in them".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2016 11:14 am  #288

Well, for the sake of argument, someone might join such a challenge because their main interest was the fic they would receive. Perhaps they weren't really interested in feedback on their own story, and thus didn't mind if people didn't respond to it. And thus also didn't do that to others. 

However, this is the first time I have joined such a challenge, and I got the understanding from the get-go that it was expected that people who submitted a fic would also read and comment on the others. Something I think is more than fair, and was something I knew beforehand when signing up for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 10, 2016 11:16 am  #289

Indeed.

@ukaunz: And IMO there is a certain difference between saying "I won't read any fics that have sexual relationships in them" (which would be what besley was thinking of if I understand her correctly) and "I won't read any fics that have same-sex relationships in them". 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 10, 2016 11:17 am)

July 10, 2016 11:33 am  #290

SusiGo wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

It wasn't a "rule" in this exchange that you have to read and comment on every story, but I think regular participants have come to an unwritten agreement that it is common courtesy to do so. Obviously, newer participants aren't necessarily aware of this. If I was to run another exchange, I would be tempted to put this in the rules, if enough forum members were in agreement.

Midyear Fic Exchange wrote:

"Commenting on all stories is strongly encouraged, as authors put a lot of time, effort and love into writing their stories!"

I agree, the wording is very good.

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. That is the way it was worded in this exchange's criteria. I was toying with the idea that in future exchanges, participants must agree to read and comment on all fics? How do people feel about making it compulsory?

July 10, 2016 11:38 am  #291

My personal opinion is that it shouldn't have to be necessary to make it compulsory. But if it is, I don't mind.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 10, 2016 11:43 am  #292

Oh, sorry, ukaunz. Little misunderstanding there. 

And you are right, Vhanja, it should not be necessary. I would like to propose that one should not be able exclude a large group of fics from the beginning and on principle. Being basically willing to read and comment on every fic should be a requirement. 

July 10, 2016 12:14 pm  #293

I do think it's ok that people have tags or pairings that they are uncomfortable with and don't want to read. I think we all have that in various degrees, and I don't see anything wrong with it. That is why I think one should consider carefully if a fic challenge is the right thing for oneself depending on what tags have a high probability of coming up.

Team Hudders!

July 10, 2016 10:09 pm  #294

Well, there's one story I am definitely looking forward to reading and commenting on: the one I requested!

Asians, Hispanics, black people, etc., I can read about with no problem.  But certain things, I cannot--end of story.  Unfortunately, if it's made a rule that you must read and comment on every story that's posted, even if certain ones turn you off, then I will have to stay out of the exchanges after this.  I really don't want to, because these exchanges have such great potential for the writing of some really great stories, and it gives me a chance to write some stories myself (and to request some stories I want to see written!).  But if taking part means that I must force myself to read certain kinds of stories, whether I want to or not, then I'm not going to have a choice, alas.

With that said, some great stories have indeed been posted on these exchanges, and I have read them.

Last edited by kgreen20 (July 10, 2016 10:25 pm)

July 11, 2016 4:55 am  #295

kgreen20 wrote:

Well, there's one story I am definitely looking forward to reading and commenting on: the one I requested!

Asians, Hispanics, black people, etc., I can read about with no problem.  But certain things, I cannot--end of story.  Unfortunately, if it's made a rule that you must read and comment on every story that's posted, even if certain ones turn you off, then I will have to stay out of the exchanges after this.  I really don't want to, because these exchanges have such great potential for the writing of some really great stories, and it gives me a chance to write some stories myself (and to request some stories I want to see written!).  But if taking part means that I must force myself to read certain kinds of stories, whether I want to or not, then I'm not going to have a choice, alas.

With that said, some great stories have indeed been posted on these exchanges, and I have read them.

I wrote and erased several comments to your post already.Just this:

So you "have no problem" with reading fics about "Hispanics and black people", you only have a problem with reading about a gay couple? Good to know.

If there are "some great stories" being posted, comment on them.

And yes, it might have been a bad idea to join an exchange with so many writers being into Johnlock. If you are generally unwilling to comment on others fics we should not comment on yours as well. Fair's fair.

Edit: I still don't get why you think it is worth mentioning that you have no problem with fics about Hispanics or black people. That is something that should be understood.

Last edited by Schmiezi (July 11, 2016 8:11 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 11, 2016 5:22 am  #296

Alrighty, I've just put up the eighth fic for those who are happy to read it

A Case of Identity, or: Life is a Masquerade

What an emotional rollercoaster of a story! John and Sherlock certainly had to suffer and struggle in this one, before they found their happy ending (I do not envy John when it comes to potential brothers in law...) Dear author, I'd love to see this story expanded on, if you ever have the time or inclination? And I'd love to know what was in John's pocket...

Last edited by ukaunz (July 11, 2016 5:49 am)

July 11, 2016 5:24 am  #297

A Case of Identity, or: Life is a Masquerade

Dear unknown author,

I am halfway through "my" fic and I love it.

I won't have time to finish and comment on it until much later today but I wanted to let you know how happy I am about it!

Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 11, 2016 8:30 am  #298

Insomnia

What a gripping story! Emotions all around and inability (or at least difficulty) to deal with them… I like the case you came up with, and how Sherlock did not walk us through it, leaving his reasoning a secret. Although it makes you go ‘Aaaaaaah, of course’ when you read the solution (bit of a John in the morning, it seems^^).
Speaking of, I liked how John deduced that Sherlock had been using again because of a sentence he uttered – love the sentence, by the way. It is so much like John to be able to ‘deduce’ his friend and not what’s around him!
Thank you for a great read

Sick Leave

A lovely little Johnlock bit, that!
Liked the Holmes talking each other I am the smart one, that made me laugh.
Mind you, the sneeze bit at the beginning was hilarious.
Thank you for such a lovely story

First Time

Sherlock is indeed a drama queen, here. Excellent take on what goes on in someone’s head during a “””””fight”””””.
I really didn’t expect the drama to be that exaggerated, but that was so…how I imagine Sherlock to be. Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 11, 2016 8:34 am  #299

kgreen20 wrote:

I am frankly baffled by this answer. I cannot remember reading expressions like 
- turn off
- certain kinds of stories
- certain things
- "I can read about with no problem" with regard to whole ethnic groups
in here. For me this has always been a place where we can be talk about things openly. I know there are people who do not see or wish to see Sherlock and John as a couple. However, they usually do not say that love and sex between men (yes, this is the term you do not seem to able to use) turns them off, they just state that they do not see this in the show and they stay away from Johnlock fanfics for this very reason. 

Again: ukaunz has quoted the criteria for this exchange and they included being willing to read as many fics as possible and to comment on them. Everyone kept to the criteria regarding sex and violence so there is no reason whatsoever to not participate and just wait for your own fic to be posted. Every writer - fanfic and other - thrives on the response of their readers and if a fic is ignored just because it might contain something like a loving touch or a kiss between men this is very disappointing. 

July 11, 2016 9:27 am  #300

As a former participant of one of our fic exchanges I can only say how sad it is that some people still don't seem to get the idea behind these exchanges. That is exactly the reason why a huge part of the fun of the exchange was destroyed for me. Is it really too much to ask to think about the pros and cons of such an exchange before deciding to participate? Yes, a very important part of it is to write a fic and to receive a fic in return. But... that's it? Really?
I thought about participating again this time around, but knowing that I'm not really in a reading mood at the moment I thought it would be unfair to just care about myself without being able to guarantee that I'd read all the other fics as well. So I decided against it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera