BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2016 2:23 pm  #261

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

ukaunz wrote:

So, I've got one more fic that I will post on Monday, which brings us to 8/10. The last two stories are still apparently in the writing stage (I haven't had any updates recently). Not sure what to do if they aren't submitted soon...

Oh, ukaunz, that´s too bad...
You organised this round in such a wonderful manner, it´s so sad you must deal with the problems like this.... maybe some members of the forum have some other stories or pieces of art they want to submit? And these pieces of art could be used in case some fic goes missing for some reason?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 9, 2016 7:33 pm  #262

ukaunz wrote:

So, I've got one more fic that I will post on Monday, which brings us to 8/10. The last two stories are still apparently in the writing stage (I haven't had any updates recently). Not sure what to do if they aren't submitted soon...

I hope one of them is for the prompt I submitted!  I'm looking forward to reading it when it's posted.

July 9, 2016 8:54 pm  #263

ukaunz wrote:

I am so sorry to hear that, ukaunz. You are doing such a great job with the Exchange.

I am also sorry for not being able to write two fics instead of one. I tried just in case that somebody wouldn't finish their propmt but haven't found the time. :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 9, 2016 9:08 pm  #264

@kdgreen: Why not shorten the time until your fic is posted by reading the other lovely fics in here? 

@ukaunz: Thank you for doing all this great work. I am very sorry that there are problems and I really hope that the outstanding fics will be delivered soon. I had a lovely time reading all the fics that have been posted so far. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 9, 2016 11:23 pm  #265

Okay, I've just had messages from the two authors that their stories will be ready in a couple of days, so we might not have any gaps to fill in, thank goodness. Thanks for all your support and encouragement, I am enjoying running this exchange

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2016 12:04 am  #266

First and foremost, I profoundly apologise for an awful lot of things, especially not commenting on any of the fics. Being terrible at being somewhat organised, I couldn't find time to start reading (and commenting. One obviously doesn't go without the other).
Just read the first fic written by a member posted, Starry night, Oil on Canvas, 1889. (Don't worry, I will read Embarrassment at Baker Street, ukaunz. I was so very, very curious to see what my prompt had inspired and started by this one.)
So. Starry Night, Oil on Canvas, 1889.
Thank you very, very much, unknown author! This was heartbreaking (I'm not crying, you're crying!) and so sweet and beautiful... Just...beautiful. Really. Thank you. So much.
I'll write a longer and more articulate comment tomorrow, promise. Oh my stars (!) this fic is so beautiful. Thank you!!!
(One question, though: how did you know that this particular painting was my favourite?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 10, 2016 3:49 am  #267

SusiGo wrote:

@kgreen: Why not shorten the time until your fic is posted by reading the other lovely fics in here? 

I would, if the vast majority of them didn't consist of slash stories!

July 10, 2016 6:17 am  #268

kgreen20 wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

@kgreen: Why not shorten the time until your fic is posted by reading the other lovely fics in here? 

I would, if the vast majority of them didn't consist of slash stories!

I think in a little familiar exchange like ours this is a rather impolite attitude.

Everybody else taking part reads fics they probably wouldn't read normally. Ignoring what other participants wrote just because it is not your cup of tea is not fair. One of the writers even went so far to mark all Johnlock parts. That must have been a lot of work and you just ignore that too.

You don't have to love it but show some respect for your fellow writers.

Last edited by Schmiezi (July 10, 2016 7:08 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 10, 2016 7:31 am  #269

So can people read but miss out the Johnlock parts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2016 8:02 am  #270

Schmiezi was talking about the fic titled "Apollo and the Aluminium Crutch" which has all the Johnlock parts in italics so that you can skip them, and the story still makes sense without them.

So far (to my recollection) the slash fics in this exchange have only brief descriptions of Johnlock kisses or allusions to a loving intimate relationship between two men, but no actual sex scenes. Not much to avert your eyes from, even if not your cup of tea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2016 8:08 am  #271

Now to begin with, I am on the correct thread, right?
This is the discussion thread!
That said: I think it's an interesting topic.
I confess form the opening, I am speaking(well typing), from an asexual point of view as I understand it.
Certainly my old good pal from my last forum, definitely for her; 'not being her cup of tea' would simply not have it cut.
It was an actual physical revulsion, which meant she literally could not hear or see any sexual content. Now I'm not sure if that ran to kissing etc and I sadly lost contact with her, so I can't check to find out.
Obviously I don't know if there is anybody on this forum that fits into that category and it's absolutely none of my business to know.
But I do think it's important we recognise that section of the fandom exists.

Last edited by besleybean (July 10, 2016 8:09 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2016 8:19 am  #272

If there were a fic challenge where I knew that there was a big chance that several of the stories would have tags that I disliked to the point of revulsion, I wouldn't have joined.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 10, 2016 8:21 am  #273

Yes, this is the correct thread for discussions of the fics and images posted for this exchange, and I wish I could rename this thread to make that clearer

I accept that there are people who cannot stand any sort of sexual content. I accept that some people find specific kinds of sexual content "squicky". What bothers me is the attitude that slash is "wrong". But this is not really the thread for that discussion, lol.

I think most people going into this exchange are happy to read all the fics, whether their cup of tea or not, even if they gloss over the bits they don't feel comfortable with, because it's polite and in the spirit of the exchange. It would be great if everyone could give equal feedback and encouragement for all of the stories, not just the one written for them. I mean, it's nice to get a fic all of your own, but it's also nice to acknowledge the others who have put a lot of effort into their stories, because without them, an exchange would not be possible.

July 10, 2016 8:23 am  #274

@ Vhanja Fair comment.
Again, I'm writing as something of an outsider, as I have only a little experience of writing fan fic, though a fair bit of experience as a beta.
I just think if people explain why they don't read, possibly we should accept, even if we disagree?
The alternative is to write into the exchange rules, that you absolutely have to read the other entries...as it were!
@Ukaunz  Don't worry. Just another wee joke form me, reflecting my periodic frustration at being shouted at for one thing or another!

Last edited by besleybean (July 10, 2016 8:25 am)

July 10, 2016 8:32 am  #275

To me it has to do with common courtesy. I certainly enjoy getting feedback on my own story. And if I want people to take the time and effort to read and comment on my fic, I should do the same to others. It's a twoy-way street.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 10, 2016 8:40 am  #276

Well put, Vhanja

July 10, 2016 8:43 am  #277

Again, does this come down to setting out the relevant criteria before the exchange?
Possibly I'm missing the obvious, but on paper(in type) it seems to me that the exchange involves: if you wish to receive a story, then you have to submit one.
These are the practicalities. Expectations, views on courtesy etc, may be other matters entirely.

July 10, 2016 8:59 am  #278

I think it would be good to have a discussion, not just on this issue but on all aspects of the exchange. There's always room for improvement to ensure people are happy with the way exchanges are run in future.

It wasn't a "rule" in this exchange that you have to read and comment on every story, but I think regular participants have come to an unwritten agreement that it is common courtesy to do so. Obviously, newer participants aren't necessarily aware of this. If I was to run another exchange, I would be tempted to put this in the rules, if enough forum members were in agreement.

Midyear Fic Exchange wrote:

"Commenting on all stories is strongly encouraged, as authors put a lot of time, effort and love into writing their stories!"

Last edited by ukaunz (July 10, 2016 9:04 am)

July 10, 2016 9:03 am  #279

Continued to read a little bit this morning. As I won't be home for the day, I can't continue...not before tonight, I mean. Here are my impressions on the first three fics (I count Embarrassment as being the first one.)

An Embarrassment at Baker Street
This was a funny little one. I could totally picture Sherlock saying ‘Shut up Gilbert, I’m thinking’ ( ! Gilbert! What a nice change from Graham/Gavin/Geoff!) and stealing Mycroft’s umbrella. Nice of your daughter to have written one as well. Tell her I said thank you, please?

Starry Night, Oil On Canvas, June 1889
The descriptions you provided are strong and evocative. Slow-paced when Sherlock is at Saint-Rémy, fitting the emptiness he feels and the sadness in missing John. I liked Sherlock’s aside at the beginning lilac, John and the flashbacks in general, how the shed some light on Sherlock and Mycroft’s relationship and how they reference the series. And beautiful moments of it, too.
‘Once was fine. Twice would seem careless.’ That quote reminds me of what Lady Bracknell says to Jack/Ernest in The Importance of Being Earnest. That’s probably not what you intended, but…
The woman being called Juliette is a nice touch to where ‘It’s a starry, starry night’ came from
The end of the story is ever so sweet… Thank you for a great read. Mwah!

Thunder And Explosions

A nice little story, and a clever way to use thunder to trigger a panic attack in John. I enjoyed the thoughts being inserted in the text, it makes for a more present narrator.
I liked how you named Baby Watson after Mrs. Hudson because We’re not naming our daughter after you, Sherlock. Someone must have been really pleased about that
‘'Anyway, you’re the one who’s part cat, the way you keep bringing dead body parts into our flat and leaving them for me to find.” That line made me laugh so much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 10, 2016 9:56 am  #280

ukaunz wrote:

I think it would be good to have a discussion, not just on this issue but on all aspects of the exchange. There's always room for improvement to ensure people are happy with the way exchanges are run in future.

It wasn't a "rule" in this exchange that you have to read and comment on every story, but I think regular participants have come to an unwritten agreement that it is common courtesy to do so. Obviously, newer participants aren't necessarily aware of this. If I was to run another exchange, I would be tempted to put this in the rules, if enough forum members were in agreement.

Midyear Fic Exchange wrote:

"Commenting on all stories is strongly encouraged, as authors put a lot of time, effort and love into writing their stories!"

I agree, the wording is very good. And since we had a word limit with this one, it should not be impossible to read a story because of its length. I remember in a previous exchange we had one exceeding 100,000 words. I admit I did not read that one. But as long as there is a reasonable limit, it should be fine. 

I also think that the rules regarding explicit sex and violence are fine and should be kept for future exchanges. 

And lastly I think everyone should think very hard before joining the exchange if they are willing to accept these rules. In my opinion it is not polite to expect to get your own fic while excluding all the rest of the stories just because two people of the same sex might be in love or share or a kiss.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera